Author Topic: I have a question...  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
I have a question...
« on: June 24, 2011, 08:50:14 PM »
Do you feed dry AND wet?  If so, why?  I've always been taught that dry is best for dogs.  But...we all know that "what we have been taught" over the years, isn't always the truth. 
I could Google for info, but most of you here could save me a lot of time.   :D
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Re: I have a question...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 09:51:42 PM »
Back in the day we fed canned, but most of their food was off our plates, scraps, our one Mutt loved his bones. 

When we started buying "popular" kibble in the '90s, all heck broke loose so just kept trudging them to Vets. Two dogs who were born in or prior to the early '80s wouldn't eat it, so we had to keep getting the canned and loading it with enough people-food for them to eat it.  Funny how they lived so long, while the younger dogs suffered greatly.  We thought it was just bad luck --and two dogs within two families died before their time from "bloody intestinal growths" in the mid-2000s; different households, ate the same brand.  (We had 6; sister had 2, always finding strays...) 

Other "mysteries" consisted of bloody hot-spots on paws and legs (wouldn't stop chewing despite all the Meds); another was going bald with them, and had chronic ear infections. 

I know now it wasn't just "coincidence" the senior dogs living with them didn't have these issues, or ever needed "teeth cleanings".
That's our experience. How we got so far away from the basics, I'll never know. But having so many dogs certainly made buying those bags seem like an economically sound move!   

You mention google so here is a favorite bookmark  :)  http://www.rawfed.com/myths/kibble.html
  and more insight here  http://www.cnpca.org/2011/01/14/anesthesia-free-teeth-cleaning-for-dogs-and-cats/

Tags: