Author Topic: D-mannose for urinary tract health  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
D-mannose for urinary tract health
« on: November 11, 2014, 08:37:47 AM »
I've started Mazy cat on the D-mannose for urinary tract health.  I was reading about it in the Raw Feline IBD group. 

Like always I bought it long before I started using it.  But I started having UTI symptoms right at the time Mazy cat had her anal glands expressed.  After that, she was doing a ton of licking down there (I'm sure she was sore) so I was concerned about e-coli crossing over.

Since I had started myself on the d-mannose and felt better in less than 2 days, I decided to put her on it too, as a preventive measure.

I kept myself on it for one week, one teaspoon a day.  Mazy was on it for one with at 1/8 teaspoon twice a day, and now I've dropped her to 1/8 teaspoon once a day for another week.

I read that an acid urine can defeat the purpose of the d-mannose so I stopped both hers and my own ACV while on the d-mannose.

D-mannose acts as adherence in the bladder, grabbing stuff that doesn't belong there, certain bacteria, such as e-coli, and maybe crystals too, not sure about that, and other sludge.

Mazy had no symptoms that she was showing, so this was more preventative on my part.

Here are some links to info on d-mannose

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2010/01/06/prevent-urinary-tract-infection-in-cats.aspx

http://chriskresser.com/treat-and-prevent-utis-without-drugs

http://waterfalldmannosereview.com/what-types-of-bacteria-is-waterfall-d-mannose-not-very-effective-against

I am using the NOW brand:
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HCMK90/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: D-mannose for urinary tract health
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 10:21:47 AM »
WOW... I don't know you keep up with so much!!!   DrLisaPiersonWorthy
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 10:39:17 PM »
Well...if I come across something that interests me I usually save a link and go back to it when I have more time to investigate.  I had gone into the group to ask a question for someone else and the top thread was about a cat with CKD, and about half way through the discussion the d-mannose came up. I was interested so asked some questions, then when I got an e mail notice of a reply, I saved the notice so I could go back to the thread whenever I needed to re-reference.

I don't know if any of that makes sense, but it all sure came in handy.

I am really really happy with the results of my d-mannose experiment!  For both myself and for Mazy cat.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 02:17:59 PM »
I meant... you give a cat a pinch of ______ every third day.... when the third day falls on a Wednesday or Sunday...and only when it is 30 degree or colder outside...and only with meals that contain chicken or rabbit...but only if the chicken is X brand...and the 3rd meal of the day... unless the third meal follows turkey.... 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 04:30:37 PM »
I meant... you give a cat a pinch of ______ every third day.... when the third day falls on a Wednesday or Sunday...and only when it is 30 degree or colder outside...and only with meals that contain chicken or rabbit...but only if the chicken is X brand...and the 3rd meal of the day... unless the third meal follows turkey.... 

;)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 03:48:12 PM »
I have a journal also...thanks to you.  BUT to do all that you do, I would have to have another journal that included instructions! 

Tags: