Author Topic: Prey Model Vs. Barf Diets. . .Dr. Jean Dodds  (Read 2245 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Prey Model Vs. Barf Diets. . .Dr. Jean Dodds
« on: February 12, 2015, 11:51:55 AM »
http://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/83518859389/prey-model-barf-diets

PREY MODEL VS. BARF DIETS: POSSIBLY THE MOST CONTENTIOUS BATTLE IN THE DOG WORLD

I disagree with using the prey model diet for dogs. They have been domesticated by humans and evolved over thousands of years to be obligate omnivores now rather than true carnivores. Dogs were domesticated not only to help us and be our companions, but also to curb landfill waste or eat table scraps. For instance, when you see images of stray dogs, they are usually foraging near garbage piles. This sociological trend is confirmed by scientific research. A recent study by Robert Wayne, a professor at University of California Los Angeles, determined that dogs are not as closely related to wolves as once believed. In conclusion, the genome of domesticated dogs has adapted over time from that of wolves to aid digestion and utilization of a starch-rich diet. Accordingly, the BARF diet is more balanced for today’s dogs. Vegetables, fruits and supplements are important for them as well as meat.

Down in the comments, her reply to someone:

Thank you for your constructive comments. I expand on my findings that support the BARF diet in my new book, Canine Nutrigenomics.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Prey Model Vs. Barf Diets. . .Dr. Jean Dodds
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 12:33:58 PM »
I didn't read the link, but based on what you quoted I have to say I'm a bit disappointed in Dr. Dodds.  I'd bet that those dogs in the landfills, if they could be picky, would go for meat or meat-based products before they would go for, say, salad or French fries.  And I'd also bet they supplement with small prey like rodents.  Heck, that might be what they're "hunting" for in the landfills!

You will never convince me that today's dogs are "obligate omnivores."  They do not have the teeth of an omnivore.  Those are the teeth of a carnivore, and just because they can handle plant matter doesn't mean that they will thrive on it.

Just my 2cents
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 12:47:41 PM »
Agree with Pookie.  this trend of "dogs need the sugars from fruits" is a load of baloney, in my opinion.

Dogs need sugars from fruits gets truncated to dogs need sugars.  And you know what you find in a lot of cheap dog food? Grains and sugar.  So who started this trend anyway.  I can hazard a guess.

I have actually had people argue with me about this telling me that "the dogs of today are supposed to have sugar".

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 01:09:18 PM »
I found it confusing that she's taken this stance too. Usually what I do disagrees with most all of them. I've been really wanting to read that book since Lola posted it in books, but the paperback is out waiting for more to be printed, and this is one time I want the real thing instead of the digital.

Barnes and Noble doesn't even show having the book at all, and Books A Million lists it as a 2-4 weeks order. I was looking to see if anywhere else might have the paperback when the link in this thread popped up, and I read it.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 05:08:24 PM »
I second what everyone else has said. 

I am a bit disappointed, but... I have found that there is always something that I don't agree with, concerning what the good vets have said, written, posted, teach, etc.  It REALLY stinks if I quote a particular vet to someone and that person digs deep.  They always seem to find something that they KNOW I don' agree with.  Then ask me why I take certain teachings, of a particular vet, as gospel... but not all teachings. 

While I am rambling  ;)  An example would be Dr. Karen Becker.  I really like her.  I don't care for her "association" with the Mercola website.  I also don't agree with her teaching the GENERAL public the benefits of not spaying and neutering for x amount of time. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:17:19 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 05:12:30 PM »
Then ask me why I take certain teachings, of a particular vet, as gospel... but not all teachings. 

Because you have a brain and are capable of using it.  You know how to think for yourself.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 06:58:19 PM »
It's kind of like dog trainers. Generally, all (not always but most of the time) of them have something good to contribute. Even Cesar. You just have to pick what you want from where you want it to get your dog trained with at least the basic commands.

Decide what you think is best for yours, throw on your Nikes and, "Just do it." You don't actually need anyone else backing you up to do what you think is right. Because the last time I checked, none of these people are God--so they can't always be right about everything.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 01:36:00 AM »
Wow I am surprised at this as well. It sometimes takes hundreds of thousands of years for a species to evolve. Years of selective breeding by humans has resulted in the artificial "evolution" of dogs into many different types. 
I don't think that just feeding them commercial pet food since 1920 has changed their digestive systems as of yet, but one day it probably will.

http://rawfed.com/myths/changed.html
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 08:58:02 AM »
 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1

Tags: