Author Topic: New Vet Search Comes To An End!  (Read 8092 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: New Vet Search Comes To An End!
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 06:00:35 PM »
And, just so you know, some dogs that are raw fed can have higher BUN and CREA levels than kibble fed dogs. They're still in the normal range, but it's on the high end of it. I'm not sure what testing has been done to check this in raw fed cats, but I suspect some of the same findings might be true for them as well.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/normal-blood-values-and-raw-fed-dogs/

TEST RESULT        RAW FED DOGS;                 KIBBLE FED DOGS       NORMAL VALUES

Hematocrit   51.0 ± 6.6 – 53.5 ± 5.6%              47.6 ± 6.1%                    37 – 55%

BUN             18.8 ± 6.9 – 22.0 ± 8.7mg/dL            15.5 ± 4.7mg/dL            6 – 24mg/dL

Creatinine             1.20 ± 0.34mg/dL*                  1.07 ± 0.28mg/dL             0.4 – 1.4mg/dL

* results found only in dogs fed a Volhard diet
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 06:03:12 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 07:35:39 PM »
"Not a lot of symptoms of kidney disease going on."  Umm . . . "not a lot?"  That implies that there are some, and if there are, what are they?

The creatinine was elevated.  3.1 
He said abnormal or normal is 2.5   I couldn't understand him in the message. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 07:42:07 PM »

Pookie didn't paw at his mouth, either, when he needed the dental.  All cats are different, and just because one doesn't paw at their mouth doesn't mean they don't need a dental.  In this case, because you saw this behavior before her last dental, I would think that's the issue now.  Did he check her teeth?

I didn't get the impression he was being a jerk when asking about the pawing of the mouth.  I think he was just looking for a possible sign. 
Yes, he checked her teeth.  BUT I think they can make a better diagnosis if the cat isn't conscience. 
When we talked about the testing, he mentioned thyroid.  He didn't mention it in his phone message. 
I will have a chance to ask questions tomorrow.  Two others have appointments.   

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 07:43:57 PM »
And, just so you know, some dogs that are raw fed can have higher BUN and CREA levels than kibble fed dogs.

I did remember that raw "messes" up the numbers for some results, but couldn't remember which.  Thanks!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 08:50:24 PM »
I would like to reply to a lot in this discussion but it is too late tonight.  Elevated "kidney" numbers are not abnormal for cats on a raw (high proetien) diet.  3.1 IS a bit high, 2.4 being the outer range.

I didn't mean I don't think Lola should not have a dental if  she needs one.  Tolly had them almost every year, after about age 6, because of his resorptive lesions, and yes Lola's behavior does indicate mouth pain.

I just meant they shouldn't be considered a "routine" p[rocedure

Mazy, too, has a changes in behavior that I am attributing to mouth pain.  I noticed them but didn't REALLY notice them, until vet showed me the possible lesion.

I just posted a thread on the SDMA test yesterday.  My vet doens't use Idexx unfortunatly.  I've got to get to bed.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 09:30:59 PM »
Elevated "kidney" numbers are not abnormal for cats on a raw (high proetien) diet.  3.1 IS a bit high, 2.4 being the outer range.

Thx!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 09:34:02 PM »

I didn't mean I don't think Lola should not have a dental if  she needs one.  Tolly had them almost every year, after about age 6, because of his resorptive lesions, and yes Lola's behavior does indicate mouth pain.

I just meant they shouldn't be considered a "routine" procedure

You were clear.  I understood, even if I rambled like I didn't.  :)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 09:49:11 PM »

Mazy, too, has a changes in behavior that I am attributing to mouth pain.  I noticed them but didn't REALLY notice them, until vet showed me the possible lesion.

I just posted a thread on the SDMA test yesterday.  My vet doens't use Idexx unfortunatly.  I've got to get to bed.

Mazy will be all fixed up soon... and you can breathe a sigh of relief.  :) 
Your SDMA post made sense to me today.  lol  Sorry your vet doesn't use Idexx.  Maybe soon?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 10:02:52 PM »
In a nutshell, and just to be clear...
I have no issue with putting her under to know for sure if her teeth, gums, etc. are okay or not.  My issue is putting her under unnecessarily... due to my paranoia. 

Taking skin kids to the doctor was SO much easier. 

I don't know WHAT possessed me to make an appointment for two more for tomorrow.  My mental health won't be able to take it.   Silly7
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 10:07:36 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 10:47:44 PM »

Taking skin kids to the doctor was SO much easier. 

Because they can give verbal feedback once they're a bit older. Animals have nothing but our observations and deductions.

I don't know WHAT possessed me to make an appointment for two more for tomorrow. 

Because you love them.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 10:36:23 AM »
In a nutshell, and just to be clear...
I have no issue with putting her under to know for sure if her teeth, gums, etc. are okay or not.  My issue is putting her under unnecessarily... due to my paranoia. 

It sounds, though, like it is necessary.  And you're not paranoid.

My mental health won't be able to take it.   Silly7

grouphug It'll be ok.  You'll be fine.  grouphug CatPurr
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2015, 09:40:49 AM »
I'm going to start a new thread, so I can find the info later... if needed. 

I will just say...it isn't the dream establishment that I had hoped it would be. 
Just to recap... A woman vet owns the business.  A male vet works there.  We saw the male vet. 
Mr. Vet was very kind.  Very kind to my furkids.  Answered all my questions.  Didn't make in fun of me when I had to refer to my notes. ;) 

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=3814.new#new
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 09:42:31 AM by Lola »

Tags: