Author Topic: So after Prilosec for almost 2 weeks. . .  (Read 2223 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
So after Prilosec for almost 2 weeks. . .
« on: July 09, 2015, 02:10:32 PM »
Vlad's got 2 left in a 2 week bottle of Prilosec. Last night he was burping his head off despite getting Prilosec yesterday morning.

I decided last night that I was going to skip the Prilosec this morning and try some ACV--about a teaspoon each meal. He's had 2 meals and hasn't burped but once, and that was after he'd gulped a LOT of water down. (He's not drinking that often, but when he does it's a LOT instead of the way he used to go in there more times per day. I think it's about even on the daily amount. Just a different type of pattern.)

This morning, I also started his Canine Plus vitamins back for the digestive enzymes in it. I don't think that at most 0.03% of a daily allowance is that much potassium. The monthly Percorten injection is supposed to control the potassium and sodium levels anyway. I was told by the group that I didn't have to change his food. I'll stick with the low-potassium veggies & fruit, but I've already been adding red meat back a little at a time this week. "Baby steps" since I'm not sure how much potassium is in ACV either.

He's cut down on a lot of his panting too. I just don't think that Prilosec was working the way it's supposed to with him.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: So after Prilosec for almost 2 weeks. . .
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 04:27:46 PM »
 fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Reeeeeeeally hoping that the ACV helps!  You're doing great, DeeDee!   :)  thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1 thumbsup1
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »
Thanks, Pookie! I'm trying. I just want my old puppy back, and little by little, we're seeing more and more of the old Vlad. I just have to keep reminding myself that it often takes months before everything is back to the way it was because their going into crisis as badly as he did takes a whole lot out of them.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 04:48:16 AM »
Sounds like he's doing very well!

Bragg raw organic ACV contains 11 mg potassium per 1 tablespoon.  Is that a lot, for Vlad?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 08:58:40 AM »
Vlad is so fortunate to have you for a mom!! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
Sounds like he's doing very well!

Bragg raw organic ACV contains 11 mg potassium per 1 tablespoon.  Is that a lot, for Vlad?

Thank you, MC! Bragg's is the only kind I ever get. I tried another brand a long time ago, and it tasted weird to me.

I don't think 11 mg is much at all when a lot of things that he eats are around 200 mg--especially when he's only getting 4 tsp. a day. Compared to the meats he gets, 11mg is nothing. When I read somewhere that ACV was high in potassium, I thought they meant hundreds of mg per spoonful.

Tags: