Author Topic: Shedding  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Shedding
« on: November 02, 2015, 10:12:47 PM »
How does one know if their dog is excessively shedding?

Lacy is fed an all raw diet.
She is an indoor dog... other than potty visits and every other day brushing. 

She is shedding more than all 6 cats combined!  I don't remember her shedding to this extent any other year. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Shedding
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 05:11:45 AM »
How old is she?  I wonder if the amount of shedding has to do with what kind of weather is coming in winter.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 08:13:54 AM »
Excessive shedding is when their coats start feeling completely different ON their bodies.

MC is right about the weather thing--at least according to the old people. Most dogs around here, including BRTs other than Vlad, have been excessively shedding this year. (That's why I said I didn't even have excessive shedding to go on to gauge prednisone amounts. They're ALL shedding more than normal this summer/fall.)

The old people say this is a sign of a bad winter. They say their bodies are making room for a different kind of coat.

When I'd worry:
1.  When the coat completely changes texture and becomes dull, dead looking.
2.  When there are holes in the coat--bald spots.
3.  When there are clumps coming out, and the coat isn't the type that a husky/German Shepherd/Newfie/Black Russian/Chow has.

If any of those 3 things are the case, then it's time for a vet visit and blood work.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 10:54:52 AM »
MC is right about the weather thing--at least according to the old people. Most dogs around here, including BRTs other than Vlad, have been excessively shedding this year. (That's why I said I didn't even have excessive shedding to go on to gauge prednisone amounts. They're ALL shedding more than normal this summer/fall.)

The old people say this is a sign of a bad winter. They say their bodies are making room for a different kind of coat.

I was wondering about the weather thing, too, but thought it would indicate a warmer-than-normal winter.  Thanks for the info, DeeDee -- that's really interesting!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 12:50:51 PM »
Animals shed in fall too, they shed their summer coats to grow in the winter heavy coat.  Even indoor pets have this cycle.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 08:26:53 PM »
She is 11.
It is possible she is shedding as much as she always has, once the weather cools...and I just don't remember last year.   Silly7 
She is short haired.  Kinda like a short haired cat. 
I did read somewhere about shedding increasing, due to the weather expected.  You may be on to something, MC. 
Thanks for the shedding info given by old people, DeeDee.  :)
No bald spots.  No clumps.  No dandruff.  Very soft and shiny. 
I'm probably just looking for something to worry about. 
Not having any carpet and just a few small throw rugs... pet hair has nothing to stick to.  Pet hair tends to "float" around a LOT. 

I washed her favorite bedding today.  She was like a little kid waiting.  So antsy!  She didn't know what to do with herself.  It isn't like she doesn't have another bed (of the same material)... or the couch.  lol  It isn't just the location that she favors either.  I put down two cushions and a blanket in the spot.  No interest.  Pets just crack me up! 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 12:23:37 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 05:22:44 AM »
I washed her favorite bedding today.  She was like a little kid waiting.  So antsy!  She didn't know what to do with herself.  It isn't like she doesn't have another bed (of the same material)... or the couch.  lol  It isn't just the location that she favors either.  I put down two cushions and a blanket in the spot.  No interest.  Pets just crack me up! 

Aw. Don't you just feel so cruel when you have to wash their beds?  Well at least, for the more particular ones.  Some don't seem to care.

Tags: