Author Topic: Lucy Has A Dental Appointment Friday  (Read 4045 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Lucy Has A Dental Appointment Friday
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:59:56 AM »
I have 4 days to be sick to my stomach... 

She is already missing 6 teeth.  Had several issues last time she had a dental.  She has been fed an all raw diet for almost a year now.  I'm hoping her gums and teeth are in much better condition this time around.   fingerscrossed
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 12:05:54 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Lucy Has A Dental Appointment Friday
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:07:19 PM »
I just remembered... most of what we worry about never happens.  I'm going with that. :)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 05:11:07 PM »
 GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes

Crossing paws that all goes well for both you and Lucy!   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 08:23:11 AM »
Feeding times here are:  4 am, noon, and 8 pm.  Since Lucy couldn't have any food or water after midnight, I gave her an 11:45 pm snack.  She thought that was pretty cool!
This morning I left her in isolation, while feeding the others breakfast. 
She is now hanging around me.  Looking at me with her huge beautiful eyes and mewing.  I know it isn't the end of the world, but it sure stinks not being able to explain why she had "miss a meal" for breakfast. 
Sure hope the teeth she has left are in good shape!  Off we go....

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 10:02:46 AM »
She is now hanging around me.  Looking at me with her huge beautiful eyes and mewing.  I know it isn't the end of the world, but it sure stinks not being able to explain why she had "miss a meal" for breakfast. 

Awwww, poor kitty!  Well, you could explain why you "forgot" to give her breakfast, but I don't think the word "vet" would go over too well, so it's basically the lesser of two evils.

I hope everything goes well!  GoodVibes  fingerscrossed

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 03:38:25 PM »
I wonder how I missed this thread? Hopefully it's all over now and she is on her way home, recovering from the ordeal, and you too Lola!

I know I hate it when I have to fast someone.  In this house, no one eats until the fastee has been taken out to the car. funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 05:28:50 PM »
When I went to put her in the carrier, she wrapped her front paws (claws not out) around one of my legs!!!  I had flashbacks of my kids' first day of Kindergarten! 

The only reason I took her in for a dental is because of her last dental being SO bad.  6 teeth removed.  Resorptions.  The vet expected that eventually she would lose all her teeth.  However, her teeth and gums are in GREAT shape.  No resorption issues.  No extractions.  No dental disease.  YA HOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 06:09:56 PM »
tiggerbounce tiggerbounce tiggerbounce tiggerbounce tiggerbounce tiggerbounce tiggerbounce
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 06:14:26 PM »
When I went to put her in the carrier, she wrapped her front paws (claws not out) around one of my legs!!!  I had flashbacks of my kids' first day of Kindergarten! 

funny2 I can just see it.  "NO Mommy, don't make me goooooo!"

That's great news about her teeth!  Had the vet said she needed a dental without looking at her teeth first during a check-up?  Anyway:

BanWooHoo coolgif2 dancingbanana woohoogif multistars bananamiddlechild happydance1 yaygif

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 06:48:40 PM »

AWWWWW   HeadButt

The only reason I took her in for a dental is because of her last dental being SO bad.  6 teeth removed.  Resorptions.  The vet expected that eventually she would lose all her teeth.  However, her teeth and gums are in GREAT shape.  No resorption issues.  No extractions.  No dental disease.  YA HOOOOOOOOOOOOO! 

That is HUGE!!!!!!

DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 07:18:52 PM »

Had the vet said she needed a dental without looking at her teeth first during a check-up?

When I took her for a regular visit, he said her teeth could use a cleaning.  Is that what you mean?
I THINK I would have skipped a "could use a cleaning," if it weren't for her dental history.  I probably shouldn't admit to that.   Silly7
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:22:51 PM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 07:36:55 PM »

I THINK I would have skipped a "could use a cleaning," if it weren't for her dental history.  I probably shouldn't admit to that.   Silly7

Actually, that is a lie.   :)  When I took Lilly for a regular visit, the vet said the same thing... could use a cleaning.  I scheduled her for Tuesday next week.  She has never had her teeth cleaned and she has bad breath. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 07:38:09 PM »
I think that you will find that after these cleanings, they will not ever need them again.

Jennie's teeth are shining bright white not a speck of stain or tartar.  She eats whole bone-in meals once a week.  Queen Eva does have some stain. I expect once she is 100 percent raw, that will go away as long as there isn't any tartar hiding underneath.

I haven't given up on her eventually eating bone in meals (not ground I mean, which she does get in her Stella & Chwey's), though I have been trying for a long time.

How is Lucy feeling this evening?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 08:29:05 AM »
No doubt the raw has helped immensely.  Better would be a non-ground raw diet.... but I don't see that happening at our house.  Some cats have a limited amount of teeth left, and... I just can't wrap my mind around feeding raw body parts that would likely get dragged around the house.  Then there is that whole barfing issue for some, if they tear off and swallow pieces that are bigger than their tummies can handle. 

Anyway... Lucy was a bit wobbly for a while.  The only one that came to the door to greet her, when we got home, was Lacy dog.  They are pretty good buddies.  All the other cats scattered.  I didn't have to wipe her down with a used bath towel...no one was going to go near her!  I don't think I ever had that happen before.  I wonder if it has anything to do with her being the cat with the most seniority...and knows it.  :)

I fed her half of her missed lunch.  She did well, so I gave her the other half about an hour later.  I thought she would rest, but she didn't.  She walked around the house, like it was her first time here.  She was a little off in the head for a while. 

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 11:55:25 AM »
When I took her for a regular visit, he said her teeth could use a cleaning.  Is that what you mean?

Yes, that's what I meant.

Anyway... Lucy was a bit wobbly for a while.  The only one that came to the door to greet her, when we got home, was Lacy dog.  They are pretty good buddies.  All the other cats scattered.  I didn't have to wipe her down with a used bath towel...no one was going to go near her!  I don't think I ever had that happen before.  I wonder if it has anything to do with her being the cat with the most seniority...and knows it.  :)

I fed her half of her missed lunch.  She did well, so I gave her the other half about an hour later.  I thought she would rest, but she didn't.  She walked around the house, like it was her first time here.  She was a little off in the head for a while. 

Awww, poor kitty.   :(  I hope she's back to herself today!

Tags: