Author Topic: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat  (Read 119816 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2017, 08:38:51 PM »
Sorry, I thought I'd already talked about the constant battle I have with her paranoia over raw and parasites.

That is what I was referring to.... your vet being an azz about raw.  That is why I didn't think anything about Mazy's fecal test coming back parasite free... and didn't originally reply to that part of your post.   

Sorry, if I didn't make any sense in my other posts.   HeadButt
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2017, 08:53:59 PM »
Nobody commented so I wondered if you'd all missed this

I caught it, but held back from posting "insert evil/smug grin here."  Because I figured Mazy didn't have parasites but your vet will never admit that raw isn't the terrible poison she thinks it is.   >:D
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #182 on: April 30, 2017, 04:55:39 PM »
Mazy cat has gained 4 ounces since starting the Denosyl. Any thoughts?

I thought it might be because there was a reduction in regurgitation episodes for a couple weeks when I first increased her probiotic. But she's back to 'normal' cycles, and still gaining. Just like always, any change seems to bring about an improvement, but she always goes right back to the status quo after a few weeks.

She is absolutely bursting with health.  She already was, of course, the only thing different is the weight gain. Thundering around the house, on her own, with me, and with Queen Eva. She does pace herself: one day she'll thunder a lot, next day will be a rest day, day after that quiet play, then she's thundering again. Her coat is thicker and plusher than ever before. Eyes are bright and alert.  Ears clean and pale (pale ears is normal for her). Lovey-dovey and full of purrs.

She hates taking the pill, but takes it.  If it doesn't go down/she spits it out, I try again. If the second try fails I skip it for that day.  She is not getting the hour-fast after the pill.  There's just no way to manage that and avoid dry pilling besides.  She gets the denosyl with her lunch meal which is the smallest meat.  She's had a 6 1/2 hour fast, and gets just 0.25 oz of food to wash the pill down. It's the best I can do.

Her re-test is Friday.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #183 on: April 30, 2017, 05:34:09 PM »
Mazy cat has gained 4 ounces since starting the Denosyl. Any thoughts? 

Not a clue, but then my brain isn't too clear today.  Going back a page or two of this thread, it sounds like you had added canned and she had gained some weight, but you weren't (if I remember correctly - I only took a quick glance) cutting back on the other food to keep the total amount the same.  Is that still the case?

I'm glad she's feeling so well!  Crossing paws that all goes well on Friday.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed GoodVibes GoodVibes

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #184 on: April 30, 2017, 06:14:56 PM »
She was on canned only while on the Baytril antibiotic, then a few days transitioning back to raw. She's been back on her usual raw for a month. I'd forgotten that's when the weight gain started.

Everything, with her, is always so contrary isn't it.

I've read back.  Looks like the weight gain started with the added fat and daily egg yolk back in January.  It was welcome then and seemed to even out, keeping a balance with regurgitation days.  But now has over shot, and she's steadily gaining. I'm not gong to reduce the fat, so will have to reduce meat portion sizes a little.

I want to keep her no heavier than 9 lbs 8 ounces, because of her arthritis. So she's going to have to lose 4 ounces now.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #185 on: May 03, 2017, 01:13:55 PM »
Something new going on..the last two times she regurgitated (both breakfast, two days apart, both had fur in it) she staggered, or spasmed or something, after it. She was fine again in seconds, but it was frightening to see.  I thought she was going into a seizure, but I don't think it was.  But I don't know what would cause that.

Next time she starts to hurl I am going to try to catch it on video.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #186 on: May 03, 2017, 01:19:24 PM »
 :o :(  GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes grouphug

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #187 on: May 03, 2017, 02:16:55 PM »
THAT is scary!  Video is a very good idea, but hopefully it won't happen again.   fingerscrossed

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #188 on: May 03, 2017, 02:28:09 PM »
That's definitely scary! IF it's going to happen again, I hope you can catch it so you can show a vet. I'm going to cross my fingers that it doesn't happen again though.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #189 on: May 03, 2017, 07:01:21 PM »
I've been thinking about this and I remember my reaction the first time I saw her do it, I thought it was like she staggered from the force of the hurl, even though it didn't look that violent.

So I forgot about it, until this morning when it happened again.  Both times she brought up fur with her food, and that is unusual.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #190 on: May 03, 2017, 10:34:18 PM »
I've been thinking about this and I remember my reaction the first time I saw her do it, I thought it was like she staggered from the force of the hurl,

Maybe that's exactly what it is.  :-\  I'm joining the others in  fingerscrossed that it doesn't happen again.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #191 on: May 05, 2017, 09:33:08 AM »
Mazy cat had her recheck today with blood work.  Vet knew exactly what I was talking about with the staggering. Or seemed to.  She suggested it was heart related.  The force of the regurgitation caused (something to do with) the vagal stimulation, causing a fainting spell.  She said the faint can often resemble a seizure (this was BEFORE I said it looked almost like a seizure but I jumped on that and said oh so it WAS a seizure and she said no, it is more likely a fainting spell.It's lack of oxygen to the brain causing the faint, because the heart rhythm is interrupted..  I made her repeat it three times but I still don't completely understand what she meant and don't know how to search for it.

Geesh, Pookie, wish you could come with me to these appointments!

Mazy cat did great, didn't bit anybody, didn't even scream or holler when having the blood drawn or her anal glands emptied again.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #192 on: May 05, 2017, 11:30:52 AM »
Google "Seizures vs Fainting" 

Glad Mazy did well.  When do you get the blood work results?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #193 on: May 05, 2017, 12:19:09 PM »
Vomiting causes inability to breathe.

Inability to breathe causes the lungs, brain, heart to lose oxygen.

Loss of oxygen can cause blackouts (fainting) or partial fainting that looks like loss of control of muscles because the brain, heart, all other muscles need oxygen to work.

Once breathing resumes, the patient returns to normal.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #194 on: May 05, 2017, 02:16:23 PM »
Geesh, Pookie, wish you could come with me to these appointments!

LOL!

Vomiting causes inability to breathe.

Inability to breathe causes the lungs, brain, heart to lose oxygen.

Loss of oxygen can cause blackouts (fainting) or partial fainting that looks like loss of control of muscles because the brain, heart, all other muscles need oxygen to work.

Once breathing resumes, the patient returns to normal.

DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Maybe you should take DeeDee to these appointments!  She did a much better job than I could of understanding and explaining it.  (My brain fog is making it harder to concentrate and comprehend or explain things these days.)

Tags: