Author Topic: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat  (Read 119030 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat
« Reply #270 on: January 07, 2018, 05:11:23 PM »
First day, first hurdles. 

1)She kept it down.  If rejected immediately by her body, I wouldn't try again.

2) She did not show any signs of discomfort at any time period after eating it.

3) 3 hours later she had her denosyl and normal raw lunch.  Again, no signs of discomfort.

4) 3 hours later again, she's had her pre-meal (raw).  Had a pee, and a Game after that.  All is still well.

So, I know her body can handle it.  Now to give it in a way for her body to get used to it, permanently, so if ever there is a time I have to abruptly switch to it for a full meal, or for a longer period of time, either way she will be able to handle it.

Incidentally, today is day 8 in her non vomit cycle.   

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #271 on: January 07, 2018, 08:20:52 PM »
First day, first hurdles. 

1)She kept it down.  If rejected immediately by her body, I wouldn't try again.

2) She did not show any signs of discomfort at any time period after eating it.

3) 3 hours later she had her denosyl and normal raw lunch.  Again, no signs of discomfort.

4) 3 hours later again, she's had her pre-meal (raw).  Had a pee, and a Game after that.  All is still well.

So, I know her body can handle it.  Now to give it in a way for her body to get used to it, permanently, so if ever there is a time I have to abruptly switch to it for a full meal, or for a longer period of time, either way she will be able to handle it.

Incidentally, today is day 8 in her non vomit cycle.   

fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed  Cautiously optimistic (don't want to jinx anything . . . )  fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #272 on: January 08, 2018, 05:15:23 PM »
Thanks Pookie.  I'll give her some more tomorrow and Thursday and again on Sunday and the same next week. Then I'll do one full meal a week, on Sundays, for a while, just to be sure.  After that I'll consider her properly introduced to it, and I'll just save it for emergencies.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #273 on: January 09, 2018, 05:46:48 AM »
Mazy cat brought up her breakfast this morning.  All of it I think, both servings.  A small wad of fur in it.  It's been 10 days so I expected it, and I also expected it to be foul, which is was not.

The only concerning thing is her yesterday's denosyl was in it.  Which means it sat in her stomach all this time. Blocked by fur I guess.  The rest of her food is getting through, obviously, because the puke was not foul.  But very strange the denosyl was still there.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #274 on: January 09, 2018, 06:30:00 AM »
I've had a thought.  Did she had a wad of fur in her gullet yesterday at lunch time?  And the pill got glommed up in that, so never passed through?  Is that possible?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #275 on: January 09, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »
I've had a thought.  Did she had a wad of fur in her gullet yesterday at lunch time?  And the pill got glommed up in that, so never passed through?  Is that possible?

Anything is possible.  It seems weird to me that the pill didn't dissolve if it was sitting in her stomach, unless she needs some ACV (with her food) when she takes it.  I forget -- she gets the pill daily or every other day?  If daily, was it actually today's pill?  Sorry, I'm too lazy to check the rest of the thread . . .
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #276 on: January 09, 2018, 12:58:38 PM »
It seems weird to me that the pill didn't dissolve

That is what came to my mind!  Holy Moly!!! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #277 on: January 09, 2018, 01:18:01 PM »
The Denosyl is given once a day with her lunch meal.  Her stomach is empty when it is given, and it is chased by 0.4 oz of food. Then she doesn't eat again for 3 hours.

This morning's regurgitation had the denosyl, still intact, but soft ( I squished it) in the vomit. At first I thought it was a bit of carrot, I couldn't imagine where she would have gotten it. Then I realized, when I squished it, it was the pill.

Mazy cat gets a drop or two of ACV in almost every meal, including lunch.

It is the weirdest thing.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #278 on: January 09, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »
I can't remember. Did you look into some digestive enzymes for her?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #279 on: January 09, 2018, 03:40:06 PM »
I can't remember. Did you look into some digestive enzymes for her?

Mazy cat gets digestive enzymes in her EZcomplete meals (EZc contains digestive enzymes).  She takes ACV in her other meals.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #280 on: January 09, 2018, 04:07:29 PM »
No Proviable DC anymore... or was that someone else... besides myself.  :) 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #281 on: January 09, 2018, 04:13:15 PM »
Mazy cat gets digestive enzymes in her EZcomplete meals (EZc contains digestive enzymes).  She takes ACV in her other meals.

If there's any chance at all that she has pancreatic insufficiency, she needs extra enzymes at every meal. I'm suspecting that because  the Denosyl didn't digest. I read somewhere that PI is common in animals that had been fed an improper diet in the past. Their pancreas just gets worn out working so hard to digest it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #282 on: January 09, 2018, 04:34:03 PM »
No Proviable DC anymore... or was that someone else... besides myself.  :) 

Proviable DC is probiotic.  She takes a capsule morning and a capsule bedtime. :)

If there's any chance at all that she has pancreatic insufficiency, she needs extra enzymes at every meal. I'm suspecting that because  the Denosyl didn't digest. I read somewhere that PI is common in animals that had been fed an improper diet in the past. Their pancreas just gets worn out working so hard to digest it.

Some possibility I suppose.  Her routine blood work does not indicate this, nor does anything else, except the chronic vomiting. She does not lose weight, or have diarrhea, or a poor coat or any of the other things. But she has not had the fTLI blood tests.

I'm just not wiling to put her through very much including steroids.

It's odd that she never threw up a Denosyl before though.  She pukes regularly, so if they weren't dissolving and going on their way, seems like I would have found them before now.  And yes I always pick over her puke very carefully before cleaning it up.

She has been on other digestive enzymes, I've tried Prozyme and Docotr's Best and was not happy with the results of either. I don't remember what happened with the Doctor's Best.  Constipation, I think.  She was also constipated when I tried to give her bacteriophages.

For Mazy cat I just prefer not to rock the boat too much.  Quality of life is what matters, not quantity.  When she begins to fail, when whatever it is that makes her puke so regularly makes her suffer, I will let her go.  Right now, she is as happy and as active as a cat half her age.  Her coat is incredible.

Sorry to sound so crabby and ungrateful.  I'm not ungrateful;.  I'm just carrying a load of stress and anxiety that is intolerable. I often wonder what my life would be like if I wasn't chronically sleep deprived. What I would be like. I haven't slept in a thousand years.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #283 on: January 09, 2018, 04:47:20 PM »
Proviable DC is probiotic.

I'm an idiot.  Ignore me.   Silly7

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #284 on: January 09, 2018, 05:01:01 PM »
I'm an idiot.  Ignore me.   Silly7

Nah, you're not.  You're all wonderful and helpful and supportive.
But to look at this clearly glowing with health cat and want to keep trying new stuff or putting her through more diagnostics doesn't sit well with me

Tags: