Author Topic: What the heck kind of world are we heading for?  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
What the heck kind of world are we heading for?
« on: November 24, 2016, 08:28:54 AM »
Someone told me to "watch the parade".

I'm not sure I can tolerate the advertisements. I just saw an ad for some robot toy showing a bunch of children, girls and boys, running around with guns or blasters or something killing opponents. 8 year olds. Heaven help us.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: What the heck kind of world are we heading for?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 08:50:15 AM »
We were odd. We never let the boys have toy guns even when "Cowboys and Indians" was still popular. (Today they don't play that
b/c. . .PC
) We have always had guns in the house though, and we never wanted them to look at guns as toys. We'd also have never let any of them into laser-tag places either if they'd been around then.

Nowadays they have some of the most violent video games ever. It's ridiculous. Thinking that shooting up some place (or ending up shot up) is the norm.

And then there's the lack of parenting. Parents don't parent anymore.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 09:14:23 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 08:58:03 AM »
Some people will say that we are "old" and ... whatever.  Old or not, I think people get desensitized to killing, death, violence, etc. because it IS in sooooooo much music, games, TV shows, movies, etc. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 09:02:29 AM »
I have an almost 2 year old and a 5 year old coming to visit soon.  I bought bubbles, a little riding toy, coloring books, and Playdough to entertain the girls while they are here. 
The girls' grandpa recently mentioned that they will have their iPads with them, I don't have to worry about entertaining them. 

Computers are a good thing, but they WILL be coloring and such!  ;) 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 09:17:26 AM »
Ours had either an hour together of video games after dinner IF they'd done everything else before then, or 30 minutes each on the computer. They had to pick Yeah. Back then there was only one in the house for everyone to use. The most violent game we had was duck hunt, and they were older after we got that.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 09:30:10 AM »
Some people will say that we are "old" and ... whatever.  Old or not, I think people get desensitized to killing, death, violence, etc. because it IS in sooooooo much music, games, TV shows, movies, etc. 

People can get desensitized, but I also think that parents need to be involved in teaching their kids to understand that there's a world of difference between what they see/hear in "entertainment" and what the real world is actually like.

I grew up in a time when everyone was in an uproar about music lyrics.  Mom wanted to hear the music I was listening to, to make sure I wasn't getting any ideas about being promiscuous.  It didn't take her long to realize that she didn't need to worry about that with me, because she had instilled enough morals in me that I wouldn't behave that way, regardless of the music I heard.

Parents need to teach morals, as old-fashioned as that may sound and as "old-fashioned" as those morals may be.  Kids learn, first and foremost, from their parents.  That's who sets the tone for the rest of those kids' lives.  Just my  2cents.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 10:13:13 AM »
I just can't get over the shock of seeing little children running around with what looked like semi autos crisscrossed on their backs and in their hands. Turning a corner and blasting their weapons at the adult sized space suited people at the end of the hallway, and those targeted figures collapsing in death

What kind of thing is that to teach children to play?  I'm glad I'm old(er.)  I don't want to live in the world when the kids watching these ads, which apparently are normal (aired on the Thanksgiving parade of all things), are grown up and running things.

Why is everything about mass destruction these days?

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 11:25:13 PM »
Because that is the way of humanity. Not all, but look at our history. We excel in self-destruction.
Brandon

Tags: