Author Topic: My anti-virus keeps blocking me from accessing Cat Centric a site I know is safe  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Any update on this?

Thank you Brandon.

Haven't redone the firefox yet. Things like that take me a while to get to.  I have to be in the right frame of mind to deal with it. xx

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
To clear the cache, go to your Tools menu, Options. A new tab will appear, on the left pane select Advanced. On the right at the top is a series of tabs (not webpage tabs, below that), General, Data Choices, etc. Select Network. In the middle is Cached Web Content, and there's a button on the far right, Clear Now - click it. That's all. No it won't clear your passwords.

Also in the Tools menu is Add-ons. Depending on how McAfee installed itself, you may have an extension or a plug-in (on the left pane again) labeled McAfee... I would try to disable it temporarily, just to see if it fixes the problem.

Another thing to try, that I don't know how to do, is to check McAfee for virus definitions updates. My thinking is it should do this automatically, but it never hurts to force it.

That's as easy as clicking this link and saving the download somewhere you'll find it, then go to it and double-click to install. https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?scene=2

Okay I have reinstalled firefox.  The "Advanced" button as recommended to use in your easy to follow instructions still does not work.  I still cannot get into catcentric bangshead

I looked at the "add-on" from your instructions.  Mcafee is listed on the plug ins page but there isn't any option to disable it.

However, since I can get into catcentric on IE, it has to be a firefox thing, right? So why can't I get into that Advanced option?.

Wait...do I have to reboot before the new firefox is working?  Let's see

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Wait...do I have to reboot before the new firefox is working?  Let's see

Probably.  You usually do have to reboot when (re-)installing something.  Give it a try.   fingerscrossed
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Didn't make any difference  ::)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
Firefox doesn't require restarts. I bet it has something to do with McAfee. Never did like them. If you could do a test where you turn off McAfee temporarily just to test, I'd try it. Adding modules to firefox that can't be disabled or removed is no bueno.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:09:51 AM by AK49BWL »
Brandon

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Firefox doesn't require restarts. I bet it has something to do with McAfee. Never did like them. If you could do a test where you turn off McAfee temporarily just to test, I'd try it. Adding modules to firefox that can't be disabled or removed is no bueno.

But it works in IE.  Why would mcAfee block it in Firefox and not in IE?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad

I like Avira for antivirus, and Comodo for firewall. Have used it for years. But I don't like their browser add-ons. They want to protect me from myself. They actually stop enough without being an add-on.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
Why does McAfee allow IE but not FF? A quick look into their past reveals M$ and McAfee had a partnership. In fact, not long ago, McAfee still required you to use IE as your default browser. Follow the money trail.
Brandon

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
Why does McAfee allow IE but not FF? A quick look into their past reveals M$ and McAfee had a partnership. In fact, not long ago, McAfee still required you to use IE as your default browser. Follow the money trail.

Oh well.  I've been using McAfee and Firefox since 2008.  Before that I was on compuserve and dial up and never thought about anti-virus or browsers.  Silly7

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
The virus payloads these days wouldn't even be deliverable via dialup funny2 I dunno what to tell you, except make certain your virus definitions are up to date in McAfee.. I don't personally know how to do this but I'm sure Google does lol. Your definitions could potentially be out of date. Was talking to Tracy this morning and she said our site views are way down from last month, so it's possible yours is not the only one having problems :/
Brandon

Tags: