Author Topic: Insects as New Pet Food Ingredients?  (Read 742 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Insects as New Pet Food Ingredients?
« on: June 04, 2017, 05:59:15 PM »
3. Insects
Due to concern for limited resources in the future, much research is being done to determine whether insects would provide a good protein source to feed our pets. However, committee members decided that new AAFCO definitions would be needed for each insect and type of insect-based ingredient, such as flour, meal or protein concentrate. Personally, I am concerned about the future of our planet and the resources needed to provide high meat diets to our dogs and cats. But I’m also not ready to start feeding crickets and mealworms and other insects to my pets. Sounds like something out of George Orwell’s “1984”.

No's 1 & 2 at: http://www.drjudymorgan.com/insects-as-new-pet-food-ingredients/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Insects as New Pet Food Ingredients?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 09:57:51 PM »
I didn't go to the link, but did want to say . . . there's nothing wrong with feeding crickets to cats.  I'm sure ferals do it.   :)

This part of the quote bugged me (no pun intended):

Personally, I am concerned about the future of our planet and the resources needed to provide high meat diets to our dogs and cats.

It sounds like this person would seriously consider feeding carbs/kibble to save "resources."  I hope not.   :(
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Insects as New Pet Food Ingredients?
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 10:03:53 PM »
It sounds like this person would seriously consider feeding carbs/kibble to save "resources."  I hope not.   :(

Dr. Judy is an integrative vet. http://www.drjudymorgan.com/about/why-holistic/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: dr. judy morgan