Author Topic: Organic vs 'regular' meat  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Organic vs 'regular' meat
« on: August 20, 2017, 09:48:50 AM »
Jennie and Queen Eva, aside from their Rad Cat portions, egg yolk, and liver, get regular grocery store meat.  Their coats are phenomenal from the raw diet.  So thick and soft and shiny.

You would pet them and think, "wow, cat coats don't get any better than this"

Then there's Mazy cat, my (suspected) IBD cat which presents as chronic vomiting (poor motility being at least a partial cause).  She eats all organic, non GMO, pasture raised meats.  ALL her diet is either pasture raised and/or certified organic non-GMO project verified meat.

Her coat is beyond phenomenal.  In spite of her disease.  Mazy cat has historically always had a very poor coat.  Of course part of the reason was that horrible disgusting toxic garbage I was feeding her for 6 1/2 years (Hills c/d kibble).

Once I got her on canned (when I found one she could safely eat) her coat improved.  Then going partial raw, it got a little better. Full raw, even better.

But what has struck me this morning is, when you pet Jennie and Queen Eva you think"wow what fabulous coats".  You think nothing could be softer.

Then you pet Mazy cat.  You wouldn't think anything could improve over Jennie and Queen Eva's coats.

But Mazy cat's is...beyond phenomenal.

Well I think I've just said the same thing three times in a row. Haha.  I'm just having this revelation now, how much difference organic and free range and humanly raised can make.

However, it doesn't matter because I cannot afford to feed Queen Eva and Jennie the way I feed Mazy cat.  So they have to just be normal every day raw fed phenomenal. haha!

Offline Kitty_Galore

Re: Organic vs 'regular' meat
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »
Wonderful! I didnt know that organic meat could make that much of a difference :o

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 03:51:28 PM »
Wonderful! I didnt know that organic meat could make that much of a difference :o

I didn't either!   I mean, taste and texture wise, no contest.  I'll never go back now that I've tasted organic non GMO chicken and eggs.  I also buy organic lettuce, celery and carrots.  I wish I could afford organic apples, but at the rate I go through them...it's beyond my budget at the moment.

But as for the girls, Jennie and Queen Eva will have to remain regular meat eaters. Someday hopefully not in the too far future I'll have my own home and room for a freezer and will be able to stock up on local meat, then they'll get better stuff.

Offline Kitty_Galore

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 01:31:21 PM »
Hmm...

So I have been reading about feeding cats home made and raw diets. And now after I read what you said I am thinking about what is the proper way to balance the home made diet, maybe something like this in this article? https://www.felineliving.net/how-to-make-homemade-cat-food/

As far as I understood, when making homemade it is worse if not done properly than if feeding dry foods.

The thing is there are so many various opinions about what is the properly balanced diet :( Maybe it is best if I take my cat to the vet and discuss it with them. What is your opinion? How did you start with your cats?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 02:59:17 PM »
Most vets are "owned" by Hills and Purina, so they aren't onboard with feeding a species appropriate diet. 
I TOTALLY agree that an unbalanced diet is sooooooooo not good!!!!

Do you feed canned, kibble, or both now?

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 03:31:46 PM »
Maybe it is best if I take my cat to the vet and discuss it with them. What is your opinion? How did you start with your cats?

The others know how to balance food for cats. The thing I DO know is that if your vet sells any kind of food inside their practice, you might as well not talk to them at all about diet. Every company that sells foods for vets to sell has already indoctrinated them as to how to exactly respond to raw and home-cooked feeders. Because, you know, GMO corn, GMO soybeans, and even chemical-feather-soup are great protein sources; and pine-tree cellulose is the perfect fiber replacement. According to them, you're actually risking your life because in their mind, you're probably not smart enough to know and use best kitchen practices for prevention of cross-contamination. All those kibble recalls for salmonella, etc. don't matter.

Vets will even tell people that it's rarely the corn, soy, wheat or other vegetable protein sources that are the cause of food allergies in pets. "It's almost always the proteins like beef or chicken."  Well, unfortunately the grains that a lot of them are allergic to are protein sources.

Yes. I was told that when I had a dog with food allergies that had nothing to do with meat. He was allergic to protein alright--corn, soy, wheat, and rice proteins. Our vets and I just agree to disagree now on diet now because I'm not going through that again.

Best to just study, ask questions here, research, read and then wait for a few months for your vet to see the amazing changes in your cat's health after you go raw, or at the least go all canned with some of the carageenan-free foods listed here.

Pookie, Middle Child, and Lola know what they're doing when it comes to cats.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 03:33:50 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »
Kitty_Galore, have you read this on Dr. Pierson's site:  http://catinfo.org/making-cat-food/ ?  The information there may help you.  At least it's a good place to start.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Kitty_Galore

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »
Kitty_Galore, have you read this on Dr. Pierson's site:  http://catinfo.org/making-cat-food/ ?  The information there may help you.  At least it's a good place to start.

Great info! Thank you for sharing that link with me :)

Tags: