Author Topic: Equifax breach  (Read 6968 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Equifax breach
« on: September 08, 2017, 10:36:48 AM »
In case you weren't aware:  https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/equifax-breach-exposes-143-million-040540905.html

I wonder if I should sign up for LifeLock, or a service like that.  This just drives me nuts.  I do everything I can to protect my information, and these companies get hacked?!?!?!   bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead bangshead
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Equifax breach
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 10:52:26 AM »
Yeah. Heard about it too. Probably going to be one of those that gets a letter. Someone tried using our credit card a few months ago, and had to get a new one, and we've still yet to find out where they got it from. No one can scan us b/c we have the lining in our billfolds and wallets.

Lifelock? That's a joke. My Dad thought he just had to have it, and someone tried breaching one of their accounts. Did they hear jack from Lifelock? Nope. Just like us a couple of months ago, the bank shut it down. That's one of the first things my mom got rid of last year.

Lifelock and other services like it are just more databases for your information to go into, and those databases can be hacked just like any other. https://www.wired.com/2015/07/lifelock-failed-one-job-protecting-data/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 11:02:48 AM »
Thanks, Dee!  I've gotten stuff in the mail to sign up with them, but kept procrastinating.  This breach had me thinking maybe I should have signed up.  But if they're not going to protect my data, then I'm not going to bother.

Now I guess I have to put a credit freeze on.  Because according to Equifax, my info may have been breached.  Though the enrollment process for them to provide free monitoring for 1 year STINKS.  It's a loop.   >:( >:D

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 11:57:11 AM »
You can always call your bank and ask about how they handle things in case someone goes after you. They would be the best ones to give you advice.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 03:07:37 PM »
You can always call your bank and ask about how they handle things in case someone goes after you. They would be the best ones to give you advice.

Thanks, DeeDee.  Done.  Added another password (extra layer) and was advised to watch my FICO score (which I get to see for free on their website).  If the score go does, that could be a sign someone's trying to get credit using my info.  Unfortunately it's only updated quarterly.   :(

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 04:06:22 PM »
CreditKarma is free. That's how I keep an eye on mine. I should probably start checking it every day now though instead of just once a week.

Edit: I've had it for years since they first opened though--way before things started getting as bad as it is today.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 05:47:45 PM »
My bank allows me to check my credit score for free.  In the grand scheme of things, that is probably risky that they have that info available with the click of a key on my keyboard. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 05:53:26 PM »
The strongest possible option a person can take immediately is placing what's known as a credit freeze on their files with the major credit bureaus. That locks down a person's information, making it impossible to open new accounts and bank cards in their name.

I'm going to look into this.  At one time (mannny years ago), this was only allowed for people that live in certain states.  Mine wasn't one of them. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 06:10:07 PM »
I'm going to look into this.  At one time (mannny years ago), this was only allowed for people that live in certain states.  Mine wasn't one of them. 

Whenever he gets home, I'm going to ask him to look into it. What if WE want to get something? How do we go about that? Does it take a long time to get it undone so that we can use our own credit?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 07:06:28 PM »
Whenever he gets home, I'm going to ask him to look into it. What if WE want to get something? How do we go about that? Does it take a long time to get it undone so that we can use our own credit?

It is only for new lines of credit.  You already got your new car, what else could you possibly need?!  ;)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 08:00:36 PM »
LOL. Yeah. He said he was going to think about it. Would rather know how long it takes to get that freeze unfrozen first. He's not in the mood to read much at the moment. Long day.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Equifax Data Breach Victims Could Lose Rights In One Click...
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 02:34:48 PM »
People who are worried about whether their personal information was compromised in the Equifax data breach may be in for another unpleasant surprise: being forced to settle claims against the credit reporting company in arbitration instead of joining forces with other wronged consumers to sue in court.

Equifax is allowing people to sign up on its website for free identity theft protection and credit file monitoring following the disclosure Thursday of the data breach, which Equifax said was detected July 29 and affected 143 million consumers.

But the credit monitoring service, through an Equifax company called Trusted ID, has a provision that limits liability to the company, and consumers who sign up for what is billed as a free service will be charged for it after a one-year trial period if they don't call the company to cancel their subscription.

The provisions, buried in the fine print of Trusted ID's terms of service, added to confusion on Friday about how much help consumers are being offered. In a broader set of terms on Equifax's website, visitors are told they must accept certain terms, including arbitration, before being permitted to register for and purchase any product from its site.
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/08/were-you-affected-by-the-equifax-data-breach-one-click-could-cost-you-your-rights-in-court.html

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »
Thanks, Lola!

But the credit monitoring service, through an Equifax company called Trusted ID, has a provision that limits liability to the company, and consumers who sign up for what is billed as a free service will be charged for it after a one-year trial period if they don't call the company to cancel their subscription.

censored  >:D

Wow.  They've got kahones.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 05:04:39 AM »
I have yet to read anywhere a sensible answer on how to know if one's individual information has been compromised.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 10:23:34 AM »
I have yet to read anywhere a sensible answer on how to know if one's individual information has been compromised.

CreditKarma.com  is what we have used for years for watching everything. If someone starts using your info, it will show up there. No tricks for getting you to pay anything. They pay for themselves by giving people references to companies. Those companies only get your information if you go to them and apply.

Tags: