Author Topic: Monsanto's Weed Killer, Dicamba, Divides Farmers  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Monsanto's Weed Killer, Dicamba, Divides Farmers
« on: September 21, 2017, 04:33:17 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/business/monsanto-dicamba-weed-killer.html?partner=msft_msn

Sorry, I wasn't able to copy/paste any segments from the article.  But here's a different article:  http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/41302-arkansas-and-missouri-ban-monsanto-made-dicamba-weed-killer

Historically, farmers applied dicamba as a pre-emergent, spraying it on the soil before crops actually sprouted. That changed when Monsanto began developing crops that could resist the compound, opening up the possibility of using the herbicide on plants to kill surrounding weeds -- including those resistant to glycophosphate, a popular herbicide.

Now, farmers are straddling a divide: Those with dicamba-resistant seeds are merrily spraying the pesticide on their crops as they grow -- even though they're not actually supposed to -- while their neighbors are experiencing crop damage because the highly volatile chemical turns into a gas in the right conditions and can drift for miles.

Just imagine what it's doing to those who eat the GMO food plants (e.g. soy) that are absorbing it.  *shudder*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Monsanto's Weed Killer, Dicamba, Divides Farmers
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 06:54:42 PM »
I got this from the first link you posted. 

Snip...

Farmers planted a new kind of seed on 25 million acres of soybean and cotton fields this year. Developed by Monsanto, the seeds, genetically modified to be resistant to a weed killer called dicamba, are one of the biggest product releases in the company’s history.

But the seeds and the weed killer have turned some farmers — often customers of Monsanto, which sells both — against the company and alarmed regulators.

Farmers who have not bought the expensive new seeds, which started to appear last year, are joining lawsuits, claiming that their crops have been damaged by dicamba that drifted onto their farms. Arkansas announced a 120-day ban of the weed killer this summer, and it is considering barring its use next year after mid-April. Missouri briefly barred its sale in July. And the Environmental Protection Agency, not known for its aggressiveness under President Trump, is weighing its own action.

“I’m a fan of Monsanto. I’ve bought a lot of their products,” said Brad Williams, a Missouri farmer. “I can’t wrap my mind around the fact that there would be some kind of evil nefarious plot to put a defective product out there intentionally.”
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 10:00:44 PM »
Thanks for doing that, Dee!   :-* :-*

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 10:58:16 PM »
Thanks for doing that, Dee!   :-* :-*

Pssst. Lola did it.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 07:29:39 AM »
Pssst. Lola did it.

:-[  Oops.

Thanks for doing that, Lola!   :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 10:05:22 AM »
Every time I read or hear the word "Monsanto," .... nothing good.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: