Author Topic: If it’s too hot for you to walk barefoot, it’s too hot for your dog, too!  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
snip...
Dogs and cats may seem like they have little sensitivity to what lies beneath their feet only because their pads are made to be great at distributing pressure. That’s why rocks and irregular surfaces are no big deal. But heat is another thing entirely.

Both dogs’ and cats’ pads are very sensitive to hot temperatures, but it’s our dogs we really need to look out for. Cats, after all, are great at staying away from uncomfortable surfaces. They’re rarely in a position where heat avoidance isn’t doable.

Dogs, on the other hand, are willing to do almost anything we ask them to — even walk over hot coals. In fact, every time we put our dogs on a leash and go for a walk on South Floridian mid-summer hot pavement, that’s effectively what we’re asking them to do.

Not only is this an uncomfortable proposition, but given a long enough walk at hot enough temperatures a dog’s pads will burn. Painfully discolored (often whitish), blistering burns are most often revealed to owners when these dogs start to limp, hobble, or finally stop walking. But too often the problem doesn’t become obvious until the next day, when signs like paw-licking, limping and swelling develop.
Pad burns aren’t always severe so they’re not always very obvious, but a burnt pad — like a bad sunburn — doesn’t have to blister and fester to hurt.

And here’s the thing about dogs: They rarely let us know when things really hurt — in this case, on the hot walk or otherwise. When it comes to leash walks in particular, few energetic dogs are willing to let their humans down.

So dog owners should keep it in mind: If it’s too hot for you to walk barefoot, it’s too hot for your dog, too!

Dr. Patty Kuhly
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Bumping this as a reminder, and I need to post it in Twitter too now that it's getting warmer again.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
It blows my mind that people have to be reminded... but some do! 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
If anyone needs a graphic clue as to what can happen to a dog's paws on hot asphalt in the summer:

&relevant_count=1

THIS is why you do not walk your dogs on asphalt or concrete in the summer. If you see someone walking their dogs on asphalt or concrete, PLEASE educated them and get the pet to cooler ground. Do not just hit "like", SHARE this warning too.
Share · April 21

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Oh my gosh.... that is horrible! 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
This goes for cats, too.  I was just reading a thread where someone wanted to know if it was too hot to walk their cat on pavement (it was) I wish I could remember where I saw the thread, I'd take the link above over there.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
I wonder WHY people don't just assume... too hot for people, too hot for furkids.  I guess the same reason some people think being locked in a hot vehicle is no problem either.  Sad...

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
It's the time of year to bump this up. . .And re-posting the poster:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 11:02:11 PM by DeeDee »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
It's time to bump this up again.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
It's time to bump this up again.

Agree!