Author Topic: The Suicide Rate of Veterinarians  (Read 1509 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
The Suicide Rate of Veterinarians
« on: December 13, 2017, 11:42:55 PM »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: The Suicide Rate of Veterinarians
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 12:05:14 AM »
That's a big elephant that sat it's butt down in 1989 here in our town. He was a US Army Captain--Vietnam--and on April 20, 1989, he stayed late at the office to personally use a huge amount of horse tranquilizer.

To say that it shook the community doesn't even begin to touch on the subject. Have any of the rest of you ever known one that did?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 05:08:37 AM »
No I don't know anyone, but I have been aware of this.  It's not an easy profession having to witness the cruelty people do to animals day in and day out. 

But it's difficult to muster sympathy because lately the pro-declaw vets are blaming this on the anti-declaw activists.  When we call them out on their cat paw mutilation habits they cry bully and claim vets are killing themselves because of us.

So they've stooped mighty low in their quest to not lose their gravy train.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 09:54:39 AM »
That was really heart breaking.

I had always heard that dentists were at the most risk for suicide among professionals.  Sooooo many of their clients are afraid of them, don't like them, huge school bills, etc.  Kinda makes sense, in a very sad way. 

Vets... I assume they know the cost of schooling, before they start.  I wouldn't want that kind of debt, but still is is not a complete shock.  Seems most people adore their vets.  So, they get good "feedback" ...I assume. 
What is the issue, in general?

Just thinking out loud.... My nutritionally educated pro raw vet gets VERY excited when a client feeds a balanced raw diet.  BUT if a client is only willing to feed kibble... she does what she CAN to help the pet.  I would understand that being VERY frustrating.  Only being able to do so much... having his/her hands tied.  BUT so many vets don't further their nutrition education, beyond Hills and Purina BS.  Therefore, they RARELY make any connection between a medical issue and what is being fed.

I know there are other conditions that are not food related, but there are a LOT that are.  That was just an example.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:06:23 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 11:30:46 AM »

What is the issue, in general?

There's a reason I quit wanting to be a vet not long after I started college. Even at 17, I was very self-aware, and realizing I wouldn't be able to put an animal to sleep (probably a LOT to sleep by the time 10 years of practice passed) stopped me.

I have the utmost respect for vets being able to put an animal out of its misery, but I wouldn't be able to get over it. I'd most likely be one of those statistics by now if I'd continued to pursue a veterinary career.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 12:14:46 PM »
Back to nutrition for a minute...
An acquaintance went to Vet Tech school.  The answers she HAD to give on tests in order to pass (even though they were wrong) was VERY difficult for her!   

Back to vets...
One of my vets told me that a lady had two cats that needed serious dental work.  Lots of it.  She didn't want to spend the money.  She opted to have the cats put down.  The words flew out of my mouth... "Is that even legal?"  I get it that pets can be expensive...often surprise expensive.  BUT.. we aren't talking about an iffy type of operation here, where maybe the procedure will be successful... maybe not. 
A vet (or anyone) can't save them all... that is a very difficult mindset to HAVE to have. 

Sidenote:
I no longer use the words "put to sleep."  Had a dog that SCREAMED when he was put down.  It was HORRIBLE!  It is rare (so they say), but it does happen. I also had a cat do the same.  His scream didn't go on as long as the dog's did... but it was a scream.   It has been 20+ years, since the dog was put down.  Only a few years for the cat.  Can't talk about that one (in detail) to this day.  Short version...I told my dog story to the vet tech.  She ASSURED me my boy would be in NO PAIN because of x,y, and z.  Yet it happened.  That same horrific scream.  There are no other words to describe it, other then a horrible horrible scream.  Just to be clear... with alllllll my pets have gone through, I have never heard that same "scream" with ANY other procedure. 

The next pet... when I inquired about putting the pet to sleep.  The vet assumed (understandably).  I had to make myself VERY clear that I wanted TWO injections.  One to put her to sleep (I made snoring noses to make SURE the vet understood) and the "final" injection to be done AFTER she was out of it.  Again, I was assured (different vet).  Basically, I said humor me... put her into a real sleep first.  He did. 

I can't imagine having to live with death every day, as part of my job. 

I edited my post for clarification.  I'm kinda losing it ... :'(
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:13:51 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »
In my mind, there's no reason whatsoever to not sedate them before the big shot. It's also my complete belief that a "shot to the heart" is absolutely inhumane.

I've never had to go through what you describe. I'm not sure I could handle that at all either. However, the pets we've had to go through this with have all been hit with some strong sedation before the kill-shot--something like propofol that killed Michael Jackson.

Those memories you have are burned into your brain. Can you imagine having hundreds of memories like that? Sounds like hell on earth to me.

BTW: I said "put to sleep" just because it's a little less depressing of a thought for me. My Bah Humbug doesn't need any help right now.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 02:00:31 PM »
In my mind, there's no reason whatsoever to not sedate them before the big shot. It's also my complete belief that a "shot to the heart" is absolutely inhumane.

I've never had to go through what you describe. I'm not sure I could handle that at all either. However, the pets we've had to go through this with have all been hit with some strong sedation before the kill-shot--something like propofol that killed Michael Jackson.

I don't remember how many shots there with our dog.  With our cat... there were two shots.  He screamed after the second.  Maybe (?) with the amount of pets we have had over the years, we got two that were the exception to the rule.  I don't know... but never again. 

Those memories you have are burned into your brain. Can you imagine having hundreds of memories like that? Sounds like hell on earth to me.

Agree...NO, I can't imagine!

BTW: I said "put to sleep" just because it's a little less depressing of a thought for me. My Bah Humbug doesn't need any help right now.

I wasn't "dogging" you... or even HINTING that you should change your wording.  I just personally have an attitude about using the words myself.  In my little brain, by ME not using those words... someone else might consider that their furkid MIGHT just not peacefully slip from this world...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:05:08 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 02:15:54 PM »
I don't remember how many shots there with our dog.  With our cat... there were two shots.  He screamed after the second.  Maybe (?) with the amount of pets we have had over the years, we got two that were the exception to the rule.  I don't know... but never again. 

It sounds to me like the sedation wasn't enough, or they didn't allow enough time to elapse before giving the 2nd shot. Our vet gives the first, then goes out for about 5 minutes, comes back, checks reflexes, and then does the 2nd shot.

Is that the way it was done with yours?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 02:16:00 PM »
Back on topic...
As much as it pizzes me off that most vets are "owned" by Hills and Purina.  Or that SO many vets declaw, to the point of making it part of a lovely little package with spays and neuters... I don't wish ANY of them dead. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 02:20:46 PM »
It sounds to me like the sedation wasn't enough, or they didn't allow enough time to elapse before giving the 2nd shot. Our vet gives the first, then goes out for about 5 minutes, comes back, checks reflexes, and then does the 2nd shot.

Is that the way it was done with yours?

No time between shots for either.  Your explanation makes sense!  BUT with two different vets...I will NEVER not request an induced sleep first. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 02:36:29 PM »
No time between shots for either. 

That's wrong. bangshead bangshead bangshead Nothing has time to take effect for the other to not hurt them.  bangshead bangshead bangshead The first shot has to be allowed to take effect before the second.  bangshead bangshead bangshead

:-X vets trying to push pets out of the office as fast as possible!

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 02:39:36 PM »
Just to be clear with the timeline here... over a span of 20 plus years . 5 furkid deaths.  I don't kill one off every year or anything. 

1.  Dog ... horrible death. 
2.  Next dog (mannnnny years later.)..requested induced sleep.
3.  Cat... (10ish years later)  Not same vet for #1 furkid, BTW.  I was assured.   Horrible death.
4.  Next dog (5-ish years later)... requested induced sleep. 
5.  Cat.... (within weeks of #4) requested induced sleep. 

I can't turn back time.  All I can do is keep my promise to furkid #3 to NEVER allow a vet or vet tech to change my mind again, concerning the final send off...

On one hand, I feel badly for vets.  On the other hand, I detest the majority of them.  On the third hand   Silly7... I wouldn't want to be one.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:31:25 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 03:36:21 PM »
Back on topic...
As much as it pizzes me off that most vets are "owned" by Hills and Purina.  Or that SO many vets declaw, to the point of making it part of a lovely little package with spays and neuters... I don't wish ANY of them dead. 

Certainly not! I mean, no one would ever think you did, would they? And that certainly wasn't my intent either. I didn't watch the video, and will not.  I already knew about vet suicide rates.  But it does disgust me that pro-declaw vets are using this statistic as an excuse to cry "bully" when they are asked to stop declawing. It has no logic to it.

Many professions have a high suicide rate.  psychiatrists do too.  I didn't know that about dentists. But you also have to wonder...these are high profile professions.  Is anyone counting suicide rates across all professionals?

I mean..suicide is..wide spread. Not restricted to these professions.  People of all ages, of all professions, of all incomes, take their own lives. Why are vets being singled out? Maybe it explains why in the video.  But I am not going to watch it.

I suppose I sound heartless.  I am not.  I too have personal experience with suicide.  Many people do, I know I am not alone in that. I am not heartless. I just have to keep a firm wall, because there are already too many things hurting me that are not in my control.  I can't worry about veterinarian suicide rates, too.

Tags: