Author Topic: Fish Oil For Dogs: 5 Reasons You Should Dump It  (Read 915 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Fish Oil For Dogs: 5 Reasons You Should Dump It
« on: January 11, 2018, 07:07:15 PM »
I had to dump fish oil long ago. It just doesn't work with Vlad. He gets severe indigestion, and indigestion always makes me worry about his pancreas.

I'm now wondering about phytoplankton due to this article:

Fish Oil For Dogs: 5 Reasons You Should Dump It

In a nutshell, most dogs get too much omega-6 fats in their diet – and when that happens, it turns on inflammation in the body. If that inflammation is excessive, it puts your dog at risk for allergy symptoms, joint pain and many other chronic health issues.

The reason we want to add omega-3 fats to our dog’s diet is to balance out those omega-6 fats and reduce the inflammation that causes chronic disease.

So the whole point of feeding fish oil is to reduce your dog’s risk of disease or disease symptoms, right? You don’t give your dog fish oil to add omega-3 fatty acids or DHA or EPA to his diet … you do it because you love your dog and you want to make him healthier, free from diseases caused by chronic inflammation and, hopefully, make him live longer.

Edit: really might have helped if I'd put the link here: http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/fish-oil-omega-3-dogs-safe/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:27:43 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Fish Oil For Dogs: 5 Reasons You Should Dump It
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 02:35:52 PM »
Hmmmmm
I have been reading and reading and reading about fish oil for the furkids...for months!  I finally made a decision (this week!) to start started giving it to Lacy dog. 
Sometimes trying to do the right thing is  pullingouthair

Anyway....phytoplankton?  I'll have to Google.  :)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Fish Oil For Dogs: 5 Reasons You Should Dump It
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 03:29:26 PM »

Anyway....phytoplankton?  I'll have to Google.  :)

The article (that's in the link that I forgot about putting but just fixed) https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/5-reasons-your-dog-needs-phytoplankton/ has made me decide that I'll probably try some of it when I have to make my next Vitacost order.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Tags: