Author Topic: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat  (Read 119212 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: The on-going ever-evolving process of feeding Mazy cat
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2016, 08:13:47 AM »
Okay looks like she got some furry poop out over night. It has hard and chalky (from the bone both I guess) and had quite a bit of fur, but I don't think that's all of it.

I did give her the broth and mineral oil (.5 ml) at 11 pm.  I meant to give her a little more in her first meal of the day this morning but forgot and gave her her usual s.boulardii instead.  Of course since it's been so long since she ate anything solid and kept it down I am having to feed very tiny amounts at a time.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2016, 08:22:52 AM »
 >:(

I just put a recipe in that section for vegetable broth. How about making her some veggie broth and gel it with regular gelatin for when she's sick? I know it's not normal to give cats veggies, but it might help keep her from having so much calcium which sounds like she's getting a bit too much of if her poop is white.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 08:26:21 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2016, 08:52:35 AM »
Dee the chalkiness is from the bone broth. That's all she really ate and kept down yesterday.

Veggie broth is not something I would ever give Mazy cat, even if I could find organic vegetables. And she can't have beef gelatin, even if it was organic. Cats don't really benefit from vegetables at all, anyway, but thank you for thinking of her.

She had another dose of mineral oil and I will feed her sparingly today. I know there is more fur for her to pass.  She might lose a couple ounces but her weight has been steady for the past few weeks so I won't worry about that, I'll get it back on her again.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2016, 09:53:28 PM »
Sending purrs that the fur moves out without any more regurgitation episodes.   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed  GoodVibes GoodVibes GoodVibes
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2016, 12:16:28 AM »
Thanks Pookie.  After about half a meal of Rad Cat this morning Mazy cat has been content to just have bone broth and Cornish hen meat (from the broth).  The meat has been hand fed every 2.5-3 hours and she laps up the broth.

Her last meal tonight was more of the same, eaten on her own, with another .5 ml of mineral oil.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #110 on: December 30, 2016, 09:51:54 AM »
This flare lasted a long time, it seems like.  She had soft stool three poops in a row, two of them 12 hours apart, and I really couldn't see any fur in them at all.  The softness was probably from the three doses of mineral oil. She regurgitated again Wednesday night at supper, then had her third soft stool Thursday morning.

Last night she had a normal poop and it was chock full of fur so I guess she's finally passed the wad.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #111 on: December 30, 2016, 11:08:46 AM »
Last night she had a normal poop and it was chock full of fur so I guess she's finally passed the wad.

Yay!   thumbsup1

Based on how this episode went, would you handle them the same way going forward, e.g. mineral oil doses, etc?
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #112 on: December 30, 2016, 11:36:07 AM »
No, I won't.  I only use the mineral oil as a last ditch effort to help her. This is only the second time I have resorted to it in the last 12 months.

1.5 g of skin added per meal, intending eventually to increase that to 2 g per meal (6% total extra fat, that is if skin is pure fat).

I have done tons of calculations, and no matter which way I do them, I come up with the same answer on how much skin to add to increase the fat content per meal by 6%. But I still am afraid to go by my calculations. I still don't know if skin is actually pure fat, or what else I am adding to the serving.

At only 2 grams per serving I guess it might not make that much difference, but once it's in the meat that's it, I can't take it out.

So I've decided to continue adding the skin per meal, so I have control over what she is getting. I simply take out the frozen skin, snip off the correct amount. Snip it into tiny pieces and add it to her meal.

I had hoped, with the addition of the fat, and the GLM, she might maintain her weight better, but it hasn't happened that way, at least not yet.  She lost a full ounce during this latest episode, now I am working to recover that ounce.

I don't really want her to gain any more, she seems to be a good weight at 9 lbs 5 1/2 ounces now, her healthy weight used to be 9 lbs 10 ounces, but with the arthritis I didn't mind keeping that 5 ounces off. But I don't want her to go any lower.

One more thing.  I've just gone back and re-read over the last week of entries here.  I am not happy with the results (or lack of) with the SEB/aloe mixture so I don't think I will be using that again. Many in the IBD group report good results and swear by it, but it's just not working for Mazy cat.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2017, 08:24:32 AM »
Mazy cat has gained back her ounce. (weight AFTER pee and poop)

Nice furry poop this morning.  So on we go!

bananamiddlechild bananamiddlechild

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2017, 07:15:23 PM »
More fur passing problems, presenting slightly different from last week's issue.

Mazy cat used to take Vets-Best on a daily basis.  I adjusted the dose to her needs, but she took it every day.  After the formula change I stopped giving it to her. She did have some uncomfortable days as her body adjusted to the reduction in bulk forming fiber.  I continued with SEB and marshmallow root, both loose powder.

Up until now (about 6 months) she's been okay without any psyllium.  I did get some in though, just in case (Konsyl pure psyllium)

Just past winter solstice I noticed a marked change in the light, staying lighter until past 4:30 (now 5:00!)! At the same time I noticed a marked increase in shedding for all three girls. Jennie and Queen Eva get daily brushing (J) and combing (QE) but Mazy cat does not allow any of that.

Mazy cat has been passing the usual amount of fur, not more, same as the trouble started last week. I expected a regurgitation but it hasn't come yet.

This evening she had clearly a crampy tummy, passed a single stool with almost no fur in it, a bit mucous-y.  She tried to join Game time but couldn't seem to focus, and did a bit of excess nether region washing, and after a while she asked me to go with her to the litter box again.  This time she spent a lot of time re-positioning before squatting. Since I knew she was uncomfortable I half expected diarrhea (rare for her) but I did turn my back so as not to inhibit her if she was having trouble.

She got done and buried (she won't bury if it's made her feel sick to poop so that was a good sign) and I grabbed my gear and picked it out.

It was just about all fur.  Hardly any poop to be seen.  And BONE DRY. When I saw that I thought, "I've got to get some water in her colon."

Here I come to the point! I made an executive decision to crack open the Konsyl psyllium.  I used only a scant 1/8 teaspoon, mixed it with a tiny amount of food ( 2/10 oz) and at least 2 tbsp of warm water. Heehee- She did a funny double take when it wasn't what she was expecting (chicken with EZc and bone broth) and then lapped it up.

She's gone to bed in the hammock now. (Her usual after supper Spot.)

I may or may not feed her any more tonight.  Maybe her final bedtime meal (about 3/10 oz) with the usual SEB, MR, ACV and probiotic in it, if she wants it.  But she's going to skip supper tonight and let that psyllium go to work.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2017, 07:45:51 PM »
You know, that looks like owl poop. Weird.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2017, 08:33:08 PM »

MC, is that poo that you "investigated".... or is that how it looked when it was deposited? 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2017, 05:08:59 AM »

Yes. It's pretty much what a raw fed cat poop looks like, but her's was so dry and hard.

MC, is that poo that you "investigated".... or is that how it looked when it was deposited? 

That is a cross section (pulled apart)

Incidentally I already had it in my hands (inside the paper towel) when I thought to take a picture so I brought it upstairs in search of my camera, and set it on the kitchen floor (in the paper towel)

All three cats were very worked up about me bringing poop upstairs and putting it on the kitchen floor.  Mazy cat especially was so upset, even after I cleaned and sanitized everything she kept sniffing over the area, thankfully she eventually did forget about it.  She was REALLY upset that I brought her poo upstairs!

This morning's update:

The psyllium and moderate fasting seems to have helped. Overnight she passed two more stools like the one pictured above. Just pure fur. This morning she had a normal poop, with some poop in it and some fur. She also had her first meal, but wasn't overly enthused eating it.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2017, 07:38:00 AM »
Remind me again  :-[ why you give her Konsyl pure psyllium... and why you stopped? 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »
I truly mean this in the kindest way...  the cats being upset about poo in the kitchen had me chuckling a bit. 

Tags: