Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Facebook
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »
Interesting read...

there's a lot of pixels and bits being dedicated to the major changes that are underway at facebook, but most of the attention seems to be focused on the timeline feature. i tend to think the ticker feature deserves a lot more attention and, frankly, concern.

Snip...

the question you should be asking yourself right now, however, is this: if this data isn't actually useful to users when they're connecting with their friends, why is facebook interested in automatically sharing it? who is interested in that data? the answer is simple - advertisers. a large profile of everything you read, watched, listened to, and did online is for all intents and purposes your web history. in this case it will be your web history as seen through the eyes of facebook. we in the security community get upset about browser vulnerabilities leaking our browser history, or tracking cookies being used to track where we've been; the data collected for ticker is not going to be inherently different than the data acquired through those other means. furthermore, it's too voluminous and granular to be useful to anything other than an automated process that looks for certain types of patterns and trends. the kind of process you'd use for the automated targeting of ads - targeting based on your activities, your behaviour.

Full opinion here:
http://anti-virus-rants.blogspot.com/

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: Facebook
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »
When I looked into joining FB a few years ago, the first thing I did was read their privacy policy and mission statement....

Needless to say, I was not impressed.  In fact, I was nearly terrified at the implications of how vague and broad both were.

Sorry guys, if you ever see me on FB, it will be under duress and with extreme protest.
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 09:26:47 AM »
Ohio Man Given Choice of Facebook Apology or Jail
The ruling says several of Mark Byron's comments were "clearly intended to be mentally abusive, harassing and annoying" to his wife and "generate a negative and venomous response toward her from his Facebook friends."

Responses by Facebook friends to his posting caused Elizabeth Byron to be "afraid and concerned," according to court documents.

Byron and his attorney, Becky Ford, say he made his comments out of frustration and never expected his wife to see them since she couldn't access his account.

"Once he made the comments, some of his Facebook friends started making inflammatory comments which he had no control over," Ford said.

His comments were "nothing other than free speech communication where he was venting truthful information," Ford said.

Bryon must appear in court March 19 and show proof that he posted the apology or face jail.
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/ohio-man-choice-facebook-apology-jail-15785623?page=2#.T0j9HPEge48
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org