Author Topic: Darwin’s pet food owner knew of pathogens in production plant  (Read 839 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
The producer of Darwin’s brand raw pet foods knew about Salmonella in its plant, fielded more than 300 consumer complaints about sick or dead pets, and racked up a laundry list of food safety violations in 2017, according to government inspectors.

Investigators from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA) identified numerous problems at Arrow Reliance Inc., doing business as Darwin’s Natural Pet Products. They undertook the December 2017 inspection in response to an ongoing pattern of product recalls and a consumer complaint received in October 2017.

Gary Tashjian, president and owner of Darwin’s, told the inspectors his company hadn’t received any specific complaints regarding Salmonella, E. coli or Listeria, according to a draft report from the inspectors. He said if consumers complained of pets’ illnesses, they would have to provide Darwin’s with test results from a veterinarian before the company would test its retained samples of implicated products. Only if the retained sample also tested positive would Darwin’s initiate a recall Tashjian told inspectors.

Read the rest at: http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2018/03/darwins-pet-food-owner-knew-of-pathogens-in-production-plant/
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Darwin’s pet food owner knew of pathogens in production plant
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 12:53:53 PM »
Inspectors reported that Darwin’s maintains a record of customer complaints. During the period from Jan. 5, 2017, through Dec. 5, 2017, the company logged 332 complaint entries, including complaints of foreign material, spoiled and leaking packages, and pet illnesses and deaths.

Ruin it for others...
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 12:55:25 PM »
I checked into their food multiple times.  What made me keep backing off, was that a person doesn't have an account with them... not one that can be logged into.
I would have had to tell them what I wanted to order and how often to send it.  If I wanted to make any changes, I would have to call them.  I just kept getting bad vibes.  For ONCE, I listened to my gut instinct!!!
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 01:07:11 PM »
Ruin it for others...

Yep.  Even in the raw market, there are crooks. However the FDA will bear down much harder and make much more of this than they ever did over processed feeds... Evangers, for instance.

Tags: