Author Topic: Feline Leukemia Virus  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Feline Leukemia Virus
« on: July 03, 2011, 10:47:35 PM »
Snip...

The only sure way to protect cats is to prevent their exposure to FeLV-infected cats.

Keep cats indoors, away from potentially infected cats that might bite them. If you do allow your cats outdoor access, provide supervision or place them in a secure enclosure to prevent wandering and fighting.

Adopt only infection-free cats into households with uninfected cats.

House infection-free cats separately from infected cats, and don't allow infected cats to share food and water bowls or litter boxes with uninfected cats.

Consider FeLV vaccination of uninfected cats. (FeLV vaccination of infected cats is not beneficial.) Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of vaccination with your veterinarian. FeLV vaccines are widely available, but since not all vaccinated cats will be protected, preventing exposure remains important even for vaccinated pets. FeLV vaccines will not cause cats to receive false positive results on ELISA, IFA, or any other available FeLV tests.
http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/brochures/felv.html
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

strykingbearmum

Re: Feline Leukemia Virus
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:55:17 AM »
While I realize I only have one cat (first and only so far), I also follow the same guidelines for Tig as I do the pack.

I/we pick up waste immediately, I use LIME on the yards of both homes.  Outdoor fountains/bowls are scrubbed every morning with a using clorox and baking soda (please do not combine the two).  I use vinegar to discourage pissing (marking) around the perimeter of the yard.  Sometimes I use clorox in a spray bottle in conjunction.  (NEVER MIX THE TWO).

I feed my stray cats well away from the run and fence.  I also have 3 small dog houses containing matting for them in that specific area.  We replace the matting every week and use oil-dry next to the lil houses as a litter area.

I quit using humane traps a year ago because of the Coons.  Pissy-little bastards that I've had the pleasure of raising in the past, but my husband the ex-hunter still fears. 

My daughter brought home 2 feral cats they were Vet checked and cleared.  We had them inoculated for everything from rabies to FeLV.  Snoballz died 6 months's later in my arms from FELV (the vet called it a fluke). 

Snoballz taught me to start questioning my vet.  To question inoculations, and to request titers.

Funny thing is ... I worked in Internal Medicine at the time and never thought to look into pet vaccinations, contamination, etc.

I'm quite anal retentive these days.  My house may not be what Martha Stewart would consider clean, but .. I keep spray bottles of several germicides at the front and back doors.  You'd be surprised what they kill.

Our shoes, pants and sleeves are sprayed before coming indoors.  I use these same germicides in the (cat houses & their areas) after I clean them.

I'm not a big proponent of cats being outside w/out a leash, nor am I a proponent of dogs running free.  (my coons were leashed too).  But, I'll be damned if i'm going to inoculate, spay/neuter my babies only to have them die from the same disease I spent 30+ dollars (just for the shot) annually to (supposedly) keep them from contracting.

Just my humble opine, your mileage may vary.

Tags: FeLV