Author Topic: Merricks Before Grain Canned  (Read 4176 times)

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Merricks Before Grain Canned
« on: July 02, 2011, 01:57:16 AM »
List your experiences here. We did try a few of the large cans of this, but we fed the Dog food.  We were told by the company that it has the same exact ingredients, and amounts as the cat food.  It works out to be cheaper, so this helps when you feed all wet.  I have not bought anymore, as I did not like the smell of it, compared to say Wellness.  Im not sure what the regular Merricks BG cat smells like?  Ive only bought a few cans of that food a long time ago.  Also another thing about Merricks is that they have a rendering plant right next door to where they make their pet food.  :-X  It is also a family based business.
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Merricks Before Grain Canned
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 07:51:32 AM »
The cat who eats Merrick BG for 75 % of her diet is thriving on it.  I feed only the chicken, beef, and turkey flavors.

The Kitten gets only the beef, but she won't eat anything more than once in a three or four day period, I have to find other things to offer her the other days.  She can't seem to tolerate any kind of bird-chicken and turkey give her diarrhea, duck makes her vomit.

I've read the same down-side things that you have, but there comes a point where I think we just have to grin and bear it.  The cats have to eat SOMETHING.  And the BG is not full of useless fruits and vegetables, no grains, no dyes, no artificials.

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:59:11 AM »
Nightmare's favorite is the "Quail & Chicken" flavor of Before Grain.  There is one ingrediant that is differant in the dog formula vs. the cat - though it is just a flavor enhancer that they use in the cat version, because cats tend to be pickier. 

He eats Before Grain for about 25% of his total diet.

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 01:49:11 PM »
T&T like the BG foods~ I was happy when they became a "balanced diet".  Does anyone know why they had to change the quail to chicken & quail?  T&T really liked the 100% quail.

We use all the flavors, my guys even like the beef which is unlike them  :D

cat3

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:29:26 PM »
Just bought a full case of all the different cat food flavours, except for the Tuna one.  Will let you know how it goes.

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 11:49:28 AM »
Both cats seem to really like all the flavours, so far so good. Though it was quite pricey 38$ for a case. which I seem to be going through quite quickly. I also find that there is a difference between the chicken dog wet and the chicken cat wet. It looks different and smells different, yet the company says that its the same exact ingredients. :-\

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Anyone have any opinions concerning the company, itself?  
(STILL looking for a 5 oz-ish can to add to the feeding rotation.)
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 01:43:11 AM »
Anyone have any opinions concerning the company, itself?  
(STILL looking for a 5 oz-ish can to add to the feeding rotation.)
Family owned, rendering plant right next door! :-\

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 07:10:29 AM »
Both cats seem to really like all the flavours, so far so good. Though it was quite pricey 38$ for a case. which I seem to be going through quite quickly. I also find that there is a difference between the chicken dog wet and the chicken cat wet. It looks different and smells different, yet the company says that its the same exact ingredients. :-\

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=759.msg4477#msg4477

:)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 07:58:49 AM »

http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=759.msg4477#msg4477

:)
I know you feed it to your kitties...just thought I remembered reading something more about the company, Merricks.  Sooooo, wasn't sure about putting it into a rotation and keeping it there.

Family owned, rendering plant right next door! :-\

Yowsiers!  What a place to be located next door to!  I'm going to try realllllllllllllllly hard to NOT assume anything...not sure how successful I will be though. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 08:12:06 AM »
All I know is since switching my one girl who was on Wellness canned grain free exclusively to Merrick Before Grain, the improvement in her was phenomenal. I thought she was doing so great on the Wellness and how could she do any better, but I found out. :)

For me, there comes a point where I can't keep driving myself crazy over the food issue.  I mean, actually I do continually drive myself crazy over it, but the cats have to eat something, and there is a limit to what I can afford, and how many things I can offer them.  In the past two years I have been through tons of brands, flavors and textures.  Before Grain, the turkey, the beef and the chicken, are one of the few that have stuck. I wish I could get the other two to eat it more often but they refuse, except once in a very great while.   catmilk1

BG has some undesirables, but they all do.   All the canned foods have thickeners in them, there's no getting away from it.  All the companies have skeletons in their closets, I haven't the slightest doubt about that. All of them are more about the almighty dollar than our pets. All of them. If they didn't make a big profit they wouldn't be available. Since I am not willing to make home made food, cooked or raw, I thing BG is a good compromise, for the one cat who will eat it. :-*

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 08:51:16 AM »
I don't feed ANY brand exclusively...for alllllll the reasons you stated.   pullingouthair

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »
I know Lola, me either.  I keep saying I'm going to stop trying new ones, but I never do. They each have their main diet food, and then any number of add-in foods. My vet and I disagree on this issue, she thinks cats are better fed only one or two foods. But I love her anyway. :)