Author Topic: Food Aggression in dogs  (Read 6437 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Food Aggression in dogs
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 12:06:36 PM »
. . . just very frustrated, as I am sure Dee is.

You're right. I get frustrated hearing stories like this when I suspect they won't do what they're advised to do--I got that idea once they'd told Pookie the "but it barked the whole time," about crating it during meals. If someone's not willing to put up with some of the temper tantrums that dogs can have (just like children), they're usually not willing to go through all the steps to correct the problems they made. I'm not sure if the dog is spayed or not, but if not, it's most likely going through puberty too considering the 8 mth age.

Put that on top of the problem being food guarding and nipping at other times, and I know what's going to happen. It makes me REALLY sad for the dogs and angry at the people that did it. I understand that not everyone actually knows what's okay for a dog to do, or not do, but when they have problems like this, they should be willing to fix it no matter what it takes once someone tells them how. It's just all too often that they're not willing to do it.

I can't tell you how many cold meals I've eaten when training dogs to stay away from our tables when we're eating. That's why I have a problem understanding why others can't do it too, because I HATE cold meals that should have been hot. But I've done it anyway for the dogs' sake.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 04:56:53 PM »
You make sure to tell us what happens in the end, Pookie. I know if it frustrates me, then it's probably got you wanting to shake someone.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 01:19:55 AM »
The dog is a female, for those that missed that bit of info.  ;) 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 08:34:18 AM »
First, the puppy is she or her, not IT, she is a living breathing entity, LOL, and not yelling at you, LOL, just very frustrated, as I am sure Dee is.

I was referring to the puppy as “it” because both the puppy and my co-worker are female, and I thought all the “she’s” would get confusing.  There was no disrespect intended towards the dog or anyone else.   :D

Yes, she’s neutered (the puppy, not my co-worker).   funny2

The kids in that family are high-school age or a little older, and actually really great kids.  This is the first dog the family has ever had, and I just don’t think they realized the work and responsibility involved in having a pet.  I hope they’re starting to, now.  fingerscrossed

I sent my CW the link to this thread so she (and hopefully her family) could read it.  When I sent it, I got on my soapbox for a bit because, like you, I don’t think the dog should have to pay the price for the family’s behavior.  But I’ve learned over my life that I can only provide the information, I can’t make people actually listen or “get it,” so I only stood on my soapbox for a short while.  I’m hoping that they’ll learn from the information you have all provided, and will work to improve the situation, for everyone’s sake.

Thanks, everyone.  Your insights, as always, are tremendously appreciated.

:-* :-* HeadButt HeadButt :-* HeadButt DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 11:30:58 AM »
The dog is a female, for those that missed that bit of info.  ;) 

BOL, I know, but there's too much typing if I make sure that both shes are differentiated in this whole thing. And Pookie is giving the info to them, so it's important to differentiate.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 02:42:58 AM »
I was razzing The Kittens for this post.. AFTER it was already stated the dog is a female.    >:D

The puppy barks, because he/she.... NOT IT, Dee..... LOL, because he/she knows, if he/she barks enuff, the family will let him/her out. Its rewarding bad behavior. 

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: