Author Topic: Need advice about baking  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Need advice about baking
« on: October 21, 2017, 04:18:06 PM »
I'm no chef, but I found a recipe to make fudge in a slow cooker.  I've made it before, and it comes out yummy.  The recipe includes unsweetened baker's chocolate.  Well, I bought the wrong kind -- the sweetened kind.  Doh1 Doh1 Doh1  Can I use that instead, and if so, will it mess up the recipe?  I can pick up the unsweetened during the week and return the other one at some point, but just was wondering what, if any, difference it would make.

*sigh*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Need advice about baking
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 04:54:45 PM »
The sugar hardening is part of what makes it set. It might set sooner than normal and make it go past soft-ball stage is all I can think of that might happen.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 01:25:09 PM »
Not sure if you made the fudge yet, but this recipe calls for sweetened.  It looks like the same recipe I use.  Easy peasy and delicious! 
http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/bakers-classic-chocolate-fudge-57398.aspx
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 06:21:29 PM »
No, haven't made it yet, but thanks for the recipe.  The recipe I have calls for semi-sweet chocolate chips, vanilla, unsweetened baker's chocolate, and condensed milk.  I don't know if the unsweetened baker's chocolate is supposed to balance out the semi-sweet chips or what, but I picked up the correct baker's chocolate yesterday.  I'll return the other one hopefully this week.  Don't know when I'll make the fudge.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 06:34:25 PM »
People that like dark chocolate always like mine. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 09:11:23 AM »
This is the recipe I've always used. Simple and wonderful. https://www.hersheys.com/kitchens/en_us/recipes/hersheys-rich-cocoa-fudge.html

I'm going to try making myself some of it out of this https://www.ripplefoods.com/original-half-and-half/ this year for me so that I don't have "Mounds" flavored fudge.

Since they came out with the Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa, I've been making 2 batches of it, regular cocoa and dark cocoa because everyone in the family likes one over the other.

Since 2013, I've been making a third batch for me out of dairy-free coffee creamer and the best results have been replacing some of the milk with a can of coconut cream. Fat-free milk and replacements just aren't as creamy the way it's supposed to be.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 02:09:07 PM »
I'd like to have a piece right now... any recipe.  lol 

Tags: