Author Topic: Rabies Vaccine Controversy  (Read 4071 times)

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
Rabies Vaccine Controversy
« on: August 31, 2011, 05:58:59 PM »
Got this today, from Truth About Pet Foods, and wanted to share it.   :-*

Mine have the 3 yr rabies, and I know for a fact, if an animal should bite you, and the animal does not have proof of rabies vaccine, they will seize the animal, and quarinten them, at your expense. Found this out, when Smokey bite me, a couple of weeks ago, got a letter from the Health Dept, they said just have your vet fax the certificate to us.

I also know, shots should be given one at a time. Found this out the hard way.  Was always told, yes, both shots can be given at the same time. Then Prowler had a severe reaction, violent throwing up, with in like 5 min of leaving the vet. I rushed him back, they gave him Benedryl and watched him for 30 min, he was fine. Now I only do 1 shot at a time, no reaction, no even acting sick.  

And I know, Lola, best, not, move this, mol, mol, mol.  :P nahnah stickouttongue TexasFlag CatsterBath2 nonono survivorgif flashbang bumpgif bewareofmodsgif cowHello >:( :D :-* Bumpurr1  

"Spurred by consumer concerns" Delaware and Minnesota are considering legistation to help prevent over-vaccination of pets.  Here is more information on the concerns of vaccinations for our pets. 

Excerpts from VIN News Service:  "In Delaware, state Sen. Karen Peterson has introduced legislation that would subject veterinarians to disciplinary action if they vaccinate animals more often than is recommended by vaccine manufacturers.

Concerns in Delaware and Minnesota about over-vaccination center around the practice by some small-animal veterinarians of administering every one or two years rabies vaccines that have been proven to be effective for three years.

Peterson said her attention was drawn to the issue by Diane Meier, whose 5-year-old apparently healthy beagle, Molly, died in January shortly after a routine checkup at Savannah Animal Hospital in Lewes, Del., where the dog received shots for rabies and distemper. Shortly afterward, Molly became lethargic, unresponsive and glassy-eyed, according to Meier.

“I took Molly back to the vet twice and was told that they could not tell from the exam, blood work or X-rays what was wrong with her,” Meier said. “I asked if it could be the rabies shot and was told ‘no.’” Within about a week, she said, Molly died.

Later, after examining Molly’s medical record with a veterinarian in a different clinic, Meier said she became aware that Molly had been given a three-year rabies vaccine — IMRAB 3 TF made by Merial — each year for the past two years.

What upsets Meier is that her veterinarian didn’t volunteer information about the type of vaccine being used and the reason for giving boosters more frequently than recommended on the label. “I’m not an uneducated person,” she said. “I am very risk-averse and I am very interested in the health of my animals. But I trusted (veterinarians). I trusted them to be doing no harm. It’s agonizing to me. Why do we have to be experts on rabies-vaccine duration? Why can’t we trust our vets?”

According to the 2011 Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control published by the National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians, Inc., 14 rabies vaccine products for dogs and 17 for cats are licensed and marketed in the United States. Almost all come in one- and three-year versions. (The exception is Continuum Rabies, which has been shown to be effective in cats for four years.)

The array of offerings is produced by four companies: Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica, Inc.; Pfizer, Inc.; Merial, Inc.; and Merck Animal Health, owner of what used to be the separate companies Intervet and Schering-Plough Animal Health.

The difference between one- and three-year formulations is, in many cases, little to nothing, according to scientists familiar with the manufacture and testing of vaccines.

Ronald Schultz, professor and chair of the Department of Pathobiological Sciences at the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine and an authority on veterinary vaccines, supports rules controlling the frequency with which veterinarians administer vaccines.

Vaccines “do have components in them that can cause hypersensitivity reactions and so forth,” he said. “So you never give a vaccine more often than is needed.”

The following is a video presented by Dr. Patricia Jordan regarding safety of vaccines...

For more information on the safety of rabies vaccines, visit The Rabies Challenge Fund website. 

(On a side note, it is not only our pets that are pushed to be over vaccinated.  Recently, I took a fall (raised section of sidewalk + flip flops = fall on face).  I skinned my face up pretty bad.  While at the doctor (making sure I didn't break anything), I was asked about my last tetnus shot.  My last tetnus was about six years ago, but the nurse told me that with a wound like mine, 'they' recommend getting another vaccination.  A few moments later, the nurse returns with my shot.  He said it included Whopping Cough, Pertussis, something I don't remember, and tetnus.  I said no; much to the surprise of the nurse.)

Ask questions.  Ask if the rabies vaccine is a one-year or three-year.  Ask what the difference is - exactly - between the two.  If your pet needs multiple vaccines, most experts concerned with over-vaccination recommend at least a two week interval between shots. 

Wishing you and your pet(s) the best,

Susan Thixton
Pet Food Safety Advocate
Author, Buyer Beware
TruthaboutPetFood.com
PetsumerReport.com

Comments (5)
Dawn
Said this on 8-31-2011 at 11:45 am
So glad Minnesota is getting on the ball on this!! I live in Minnesota and volunteer for a breed-specific rescue. One of my dogs came back from an adoptive home. He was so special to me I decided to keep him. A problem came up when I saw his rabies certificate was only good for 1 year when I knew it was a 3-year vaccine. I called the vet office to get an updated certificate and the vet told me that wasn't possible as yearly rabies vaccines were required in her county. I challenged the vet on the cons of over-vaccination and sent her a large envelope on documentation including Dr. Jean Dodd's vaccine protocol and information on the Rabies Challenge Fund. Of course I didn't hear anything back from them, but I tried.
Reply to this Comment
Bonnie
Said this on 8-31-2011 at 12:01 pmin reply to #1
How DARE THEY----time for a new vet!!!!!
Reply to this Comment
Bonnie
Said this on 8-31-2011 at 12:05 pmin reply to #1
I question EVERYTHING---both for MYSELF and my babies--I take the word of NO-ONE---I want PROOF----if I could go without rabies for the fur babies (my not in the wild min-poodles)  I would--and tetanus...haven't had one in decades and I have had some pretty darn bad scrapes. fugedaboudit!!!!!
Reply to this Comment
b
Said this on 8-31-2011 at 01:06 pm
What happened to Molly is awful. I have learned that in everything you do, you cannot trust anyone.
And everytime I forget that I can't trust anyone, and I do trust them, I get burned. You have to do your homework everytime.
If you are spending money, you need to check out what you are buying and do you really need it and are you getting the best quality, etc. You have to search hard for complaints from others, and check the complaints, do they have lots of details of what happened. A lot of reviews are by the company owners, Great company, best customer service, best products, short quick reviews are usually not real.
On vets, you have to search by vet's name and complaint and vet office name and complaints.
You have to ask around to other pet lovers for pros and cons for the vet.
You need to call the vet or vets office with a list of questions that are important to you, to see if you even like their response before spending $50 for an office visit.
Ask about over vaccination? Ask if you must do annual vaccines? Tell them you are concerned for your pets health, and prefer Less is More. If they don't like it on the phone, search for another vet.
I find it may take 10-15 calls or more to find a  Vet that is interested in pets health. If I find I don't like them in person, then they don't get my business again.
If you can find a Holistic Vet, it is usually worth the drive.
Vets are people, many are more money motivated, or are going to go with what the government or vet medical association & vet pharma association wants to push drugs on pets.
I find it takes time to find a vet you actually can work with and like.
Holistic vets do seem to be the most caring and loving to pets and want to help you with a Naturally Holistic pet care prevention with healthy alternatives to traditional vets.
Traditional vets are great for emergencies when you don't have time to drive far to a Holistic Vet.

Reply to this Comment
ChiMommie
Said this on 8-31-2011 at 01:35 pm
Not only would I have an issue with over vaccination but more importantly  that the rabies vaccination was administered concurrently with a distemper vaccine.  Dr. Dodds' current protocol recommends that Rabies vaccinations should be administered  3-4 weeks apart from the distemper/parvovirus booster.  Dr Ronald Schultz also recommends the separation of these vaccinations.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:01:09 PM by Bumpurr »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Rabies Vaccine Controversy
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 07:45:46 PM »

Mine have the 3 yr rabies, and I know for a fact, if an animal should bite you, and the animal does not have proof of rabies vaccine, they will seize the animal, and quarinten them, at your expense. Found this out, when Smokey bite me, a couple of weeks ago, got a letter from the Health Dept, they said just have your vet fax the certificate to us.

Rabies shots (for felines) are not required by law in all States.  Most, but not all.

Molly's story is heart breaking.  Unfortunately, it is often tooooo common.  

“I’m not an uneducated person,” she said. “I am very risk-averse and I am very interested in the health of my animals. But I trusted (veterinarians). I trusted them to be doing no harm. It’s agonizing to me. Why do we have to be experts on rabies-vaccine duration? Why can’t we trust our vets?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 07:57:55 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:11:55 PM »
My cats are vaccinated against rabies annually with the Merial PureVax non adjuvanted rabies vaccine.

The difference between the three year and the one year vaccine, in the for CATS vaccines is that the three year vaccine contains an adjuvant.  The adjuvant, which is a booster for the longevity of the vaccine is thought to possibly be the cause of VAS (vaccine associated sarcoma) I stressed the word difference, because in the story posted here, some one is quoted as saying they don't know of any difference between the three year and the one year rabies shot.  I don't know if that's true for dogs, but as I stated, the difference between the one year and three year for cats is the lack of adjuvant in the one year. :)

The Merial PureVax rabies vaccine for cats does NOT contain the adjuvant, so it still only approved for one year.  That may change in time, and when it does, and when the law changes with it, I will then get them vaccinated against rabies every three years.

As for the distemper vaccine, when they get it, it is not given at the same time as the rabies.  However, I no longer let them get the distemper vaccine every three years.  They get the three shot initial series as kittens (or adults if they are rescued as adults with unknown vaccine status).  Then one year later they get the "three year" booster.  Three years after that I might or might not go ahead with another three year booster, but by the time they are 7 or 8 I no longer give them that shot.

PS I totally agree with you that people should be talking to their vets about these vaccines, and asking what they are, before the shot is given.  I, for instance, say to my vet before she gives the shot "That's the Pure Vax shot right?".  And she, even though she knows already she has the right shot, makes a point of checking, before assuring me that yes, it is the PureVax rabies vaccine.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 10:38:21 AM »
I could write SOOOO much on this, but am a bit short on time now.  I have read, I think on Dr. Hofve's site, that the 1 year and 3 year rabies vaccine are the same thing.  Clinical trials were run for efficay for 1 year and 3 years, and are sold that way.  The Purevax is the only one I know of that doesn't have the adjuvant, and that's a 1 year shot, and apparently even that one has issues.  I wish I could remember where I read what they were.  I'll try to find it when I have more time.

One thing missing from that article is that you should NEVER vaccinate an animal that already has health problems, e.g. allergies, cancer or any other chronic illness, and it SAYS THIS ON THE VACCINE LABEL.  You should be able to get a waiver from your vet explaining that your pet was not vaccinated due to health problems.

Some really good information can be found at http://catinfo.org/?link=vaccines and www.littlebigcat.com (look in the Free Article Library).

I wish I had learned all this sooner.  And I agree with Molly's Mom that we should be able to trust our vets.  I did ask about the sarcomas and was told it was really rare, and the vet made it sound like vaccines were perfectly safe.  He NEVER said that due to my cats' chronic vomiting that they shouldn't be vaccinated.  Years later when I had Pookie's sister at the holistic vet, the tech said she was overdue for her rabies (this after I'd already brought her there, AND they'd given me literature on over-vaccinating)!  I jumped all over her and said the 1 year and 3 year were the same.  I was so upset I forgot to add "plus with her health issues, she shouldn’t get one ANYWAY").

For me the bottom line is:  less is more.  One the shot is given, it can't be undone.  I can't tell you how badly I wish I could go back in time and start over, knowing what I know now.   :'( :(
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 05:24:49 PM »
Mine go to shows, they travel all over the east coast, and the shows require the shots. Mine get them, because they have a higher degree of exposure, from the spectators, from the judges, and even the cages they are in. Some shows, depending on the state, will spot check rabies certs.  If one is traveling, they need to check the laws of the states they are going to or passing thru. If that state requires it, and G forbid, your cat bites someone, accident or not, they will seize the cat, and quaranteen at your expense.

I agonized over feline leukema shots, the show require them, and they have a higher degree of exposure, but the cats that are not on the circuit, don't get them.  Cruiser has to go in Friday for his FVRCP booster, he is going back on the circuit, and I am going to ask my vet, about the titer something testing, to see, if they need the shots, seems like it was Shadow that said something about the titer thingy.

The kittens had the feline leukema shots, the 2 part thingy, when they were little tykes, so I need to ask her too, if she feels they still need them. She is the one, that didn't really want to give them, but also felt, the degree they travel and the high exposure, that we should do them, when they was little guys.

Will let you know, what I found out.   cat4 thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif     

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 07:46:11 AM »
Bump, would it be possible to spread out the vaccines that are in the FVRCP for Cruiser instead of him getting them all at once?  I honestly don't know, but thought I'd ask.  :-\  Even if it's possible, it's probably expensive.   :(
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 05:17:13 PM »
Just got back from the vetty, Cruiser had his FVRCP shotty, and a wormy pill, Cowboy got the wormy pill, he already had his FVRCP shotty a few months ago.  I never had a prob with him, or even when they was little tykes, and gettin shottys seems like every 3 weeks.  We just did one shotty at a time. Pulling this from memory, but it seems to me, the FVRCP shotty is like a 4 in 1. 

For the "spectators", its referred to as the distemper shot, mol, the vet said if Cruiser is going back on the circuit, he needs it, for respitory issues. I would have to look it up, but I think it has the calci virus protection too. Which I know, all that crap floats around, like wildfire, at a show, which is exactly, why I won't let the spectators touch them. 

The judges do disenfect the table and their hands, and the cages, in between cats, but if ya ever looked real close, its prob not the greatest job, and they don't disenfect the toys or the pole. But, its better than nothing.  The majority do vaccine, but some don't, and some will bring in a sick kitty. 

They don't vet check at a cat show, could never figure out why, they do at horse shows, your not even getting on the grounds, until you pass "vet inspection", and they go over the papers, with a fine tooth comb. They can even yank your horse off the trailer, if something doesn't look right, or they want a closer look.   

At my first cat show, like alot of years ago, I went to the check in, with health papers in hand, and asked, where is the vet check.  They looked at me like I was nuts. First show they asked?? MOL

Alot of kittens will bring something home from a show, until they build up their, show immunity, as my vet puts it.  Cowboy and Cruiser did, so did Bump, as little tykes.  Cruiser got over his real quick, but Cowboy was on the tail end of his, my vet said don't take him, not worth the risk, and seems like Bump missed a show once, getting over it, Cruiser never did.

We discussed the FeLV booster shot, she said its up to you, they should prob get it, but I am real leary of it, they had it when they was little tykes, and altho they still go to shows, its not the heavy duty hauling, when they was little guys.  Either way, they wasn't going to get it today, she said with mine, they only get one shot at a time, have had no prob doing it that way. 

I asked her about the titer thingy, she said they have that for doggies, but not sure about kitties, so she called Cornell. They told her, they only do it for distemper, and it costs $100.  Going to shows, not going to go without that shot, and if I spent $100, and it shows they don't have the antibodies, then I gotta get the shotty, which is vet exam, plus the shot, times 2, on top of the $100, which that is too expensive for me, mol, easier to just get the shot, not taking a chance on that one, mol.  cat4

:P :-* thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 TexasFlag cowHello survivorgif iwin bumpgif :)   

Tags: