Author Topic: KA-BLAM!!!  (Read 1881 times)

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
KA-BLAM!!!
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:34:16 AM »
BOOOOM!! RUMBLERUMBLE

cat2 cat2 cat2 cat2 cat2 cat2 cat2 cat2 cat2 cat2 cat2

Monsoon season has arrived.

We had a lightning strike right outside the house in the middle of the cul de sac last night.  The flash was so bright, I saw it through my closed eyes, and the thunderclap was instantaneous.  Everyone jumped; me, all the cats on the bed, and poor Babee nearly scooted her bed halfway 'cross the floor.  Someone's car alarm was set off. 

As the strikes continued, I thought about my friends dogs a bare 2 miles away, who I am "sitting" for.  I almost wanted to jump in my car and race over to their house to check on them.... almost... the cats convinced me otherwise.

I'll be checking on them shortly.

Hopefully there won't be any flooding on the way there.
(Flash floods are par for the course out here in the desert).
 rain2

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
Re: KA-BLAM!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 01:41:02 PM »
Monsoons???? ahhhhhhh!! is that alot of rain too?
Is it Monsoon time on October 30th too??
glad you are safe!! :)
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »
During noisy storms, most of the pets end up in one room...together.  Funny thing...the ones that are the least of friends always end up snuggling together.  It is probably not a loving thing, but more like "hope he/she gets it, instead of me." 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:51:19 PM »
During noisy storms, most of the pets end up in one room...together.  Funny thing...the ones that are the least of friends always end up snuggling together.  It is probably not a loving thing, but more like "hope he/she gets it, instead of me." 
Hillarious Lola I almost spit out my juice, lol!!! funny2
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:52:55 PM »

bwah-hahahahaha!
 cryingfunny

Usually I am a very deep sleeper... I've slept through train noise, airport noise, earthquakes, storms... I sleep in cars and airplanes with no problems.  I probably would have slept through the storm last night too, except for that one strike...

It was like Zeus's bolt, or Thor's Hammer...

The only other time I've felt a strike that strong was when I was a senior in high school... out playing in a city park that had a gazebo.  It started to rain, and we took cover.  Suddenly, not 5 seconds after the last kid joined us, a bolt of lightning struck about 15 feet from the gazebo.  The percussion was deafening, and reverberated through my bones; my heart skipped several beats, and the hairs on my entire body raised with the residual electricity in the air.

Last night was deja vu.

I doubt we'll have another like it anytime soon.  Most of the monsoons carry their lightning higher up, usually called "sheet lightning", with only occasional strikes to the ground.  Thankfully, monsoon season usually only lasts 2-3 weeks. 

Oh, and my friends dogs seem none the worse for the wear, though they've been exceptionally happy to see me today. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:16:01 PM »
bwah-hahahahaha!
 cryingfunny
Usually I am a very deep sleeper... I've slept through train noise, airport noise, earthquakes, storms... I sleep in cars and airplanes with no problems.  I probably would have slept through the storm last night too, except for that one strike...

It was like Zeus's bolt, or Thor's Hammer...

The only other time I've felt a strike that strong was when I was a senior in high school... out playing in a city park that had a gazebo.  It started to rain, and we took cover.  Suddenly, not 5 seconds after the last kid joined us, a bolt of lightning struck about 15 feet from the gazebo.  The percussion was deafening, and reverberated through my bones; my heart skipped several beats, and the hairs on my entire body raised with the residual electricity in the air.

Last night was deja vu.

I doubt we'll have another like it anytime soon.  Most of the monsoons carry their lightning higher up, usually called "sheet lightning", with only occasional strikes to the ground.  Thankfully, monsoon season usually only lasts 2-3 weeks. 

Oh, and my friends dogs seem none the worse for the wear, though they've been exceptionally happy to see me today. 

Ohhhhh, how I wish I was a deep sleeper, if just for an hour or two!
Who was more scared of the noise...you or the furkids?  ;)
Our monsoon season is in August.  I blinked and missed it.

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
    • CatCentric - Your place for all things cats!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 12:37:18 AM »
The craziest lightning strike I've ever witnessed hit the side of a back-country road about fifty feet in front of me as I was driving during a torrential downpour several years ago. Every one of my senses was affected - sight, scent, touch (like you, my body hair raised up), hearing and taste (sulfur?) - and the blast was so hot and so strong, it blew a three- or four-foot wide hole in the ground that was blazing with white flames as I passed it. I should probably have been scared, but I find wild weather exciting in general and this was just so unbelievably amazing; my adrenaline was racing and I was craning my neck to watch the fire as I went by. I was tempted to stop or seriously slow down to get an even better look, but the heat and the scent urged me to caution.

It was several years before grass began to grow in that spot, and the depression itself remains to this day. Whenever I drive by it, I think of how it got there. Mother Nature definitely has her moods!

AC
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A feline nutrition, raw feeding, cat care, health & behavior blog & resource site.

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 10:43:14 AM »
Wow, that's awesome.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »
I'd rather read stories like that...and not be an actual witness.

Tags: storm