Author Topic: Let's Try Creating a *Local* Knowledgeable Veterinarian Directory  (Read 1871 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
This could be useful for folks who may end up needing a veterinarian for other issues such as surgeries, what-have-you,  which our Doctors on the Internet are too far away for  --

Saw knowledgeable Veterinarians posting on the vet site RE: Raw food controversy and got idea to "collect" such vets' information when we do come across them and post their information & locations, and try to get some sort of a "Directory" going.   Somebody looking for a good, honest veterinarian may live near their towns!  
I know in my case, there is no such veterinarian nearby (thus I can no longer have pets at all) and I know at least one other person in the same hole -- even when one is listed as "Holistic", they still have conflicts of interest, sell kibble or whatever.

Maybe once we accumulate some more of these wonderful professionals, we can then get an alphabetical directory (by location) going and someone may find that one is near their hometown!!  :-* HeadButt

Here are 2 to start off, and their posts from the site:  

Dr. Moira Drosdovech

I would like to know if the AVMA is going to formulate a policy on the feeding of dry foods to dogs and cats similar to the POLICY ON RAW OR UNDERCOOKED ANIMAL-SOURCE PROTEIN IN CAT AND DOG DIETS that is garnering so much attention. After all, commercially processed dry foods (in particular)have been reducing and will continue to reduce the health of pets below optimal since they were introduced decades ago. Why do veterinarians that recommend raw diets see less chronic illnesses overall in those pets compared to the ones that are fed dry and canned?? Don’t the deaths and injuries from feeding tainted dry foods far exceed those for raw?
AVMA officers, isn’t it worth a little research of your own before you come up with a policy rather than relying on “a thorough review of the scientific literature”? And rather than being drafted by veterinarians with expertise in relevant fields (in this case, public health), why not get some input from “the field”??? Are you about promoting health for pets or aren’t you?? That is the question. To me, it is patently clear that the way to promote health for dogs and cats is by not feeding dry foods and by feeding raw diets.
She's in the British Columbia area  - her website: http://www.pawsitivevetcare.com/

Dr. Rebecca L G Verna, MS, DVM, CAC, CVA, CVCH, CCRP, CVFT
July 29th, 2012 at 13:29 | #10
Reply | Quote

1. Cats are obligate carnivores and should never be fed ANY carbohydrates.
2. Human food is heavily contaminated with infectious organisms and humans are taught to wash their hands after handling all fresh or raw food.
3. Dogs and cats can literally double their lifespan on a fresh raw diet.
4. Isn’t the major goal of the AVMA supposed to be to prolong and maximize the HEALTH AND LIFESPAN of pets??
5. Therefore, we need to teach people to feed raw, fresh, and grain-free diets WHILE ALSO teaching them to wash their hands after doing so. Simple.

She is in Virginia.  Her website: http://www.drverna.com/index.cfm

Any more we may come across, collect them here!  :) :)  Then a "directory" can be created  thumbsup1
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:26:22 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
RE: Let's Try Creating a *Local* Knowledgeable Veterinarian Directory
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 06:13:30 AM »
Beings this is in mind for folks who may end up needing a veterinarian for other issues such as surgeries, what-have-you,  which our Doctors on the Internet are too far away for --  should also suggest to add Veterinarians who admit to not knowing about nutrition "because I'm a Doctor, not a food expert" (an actual quote from one such hero).

They are not corrupted by the PFI and other conflicts of interest (pushing vaccines, etc.)

Odds are if anything, they'll tell you to consult someone who does know or that they'd probably have to "look it up in a book or something."      :-* :-* HeadButt HeadButt thumbsup1 :)

I won't have pets again because there is nobody I would trust nearby to even clip a TOENAIL on a pet.   :o  
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:34:56 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Let's Try Creating a *Local* Knowledgeable Veterinarian Directory
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:49:18 AM »
This is a GREAT idea!  I'd actually been looking some of them up in the hopes that they'd be near me (no such luck so far  :( ) and this would be really helpful!   :-* :-* :-*
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:44:11 AM »
Here's what I've found:

Kristin Tomasello (vet student)
Carol Lloyd
Maren Bell Jones, DVM, MA
Mark Peterson, DVM
Patricia Cordero (vet student)
Debbie Leach
Celeste Yardall, PhD (not sure if she's a vet, but adding "just in case")

2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Mo

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »
Hawthorne Veterinary Clinic - Portland, OR

"The Hawthorne Veterinary Clinic is a holistic animal clinic that strives to promote the health and well being of your animal companions by blending conventional and alternative medicine. We offer a range of conventional practices combined with Chinese herbal medicine, western herbal medicine, homeopathy and acupuncture. We also provide surgical procedures including dental surgeries, soft tissue procedures, spaying and neutering.

It is our mission to offer a more natural, environmentally aware, and compassionate approach to medicine. We recognize that all living beings are complex and unique individuals and we all share the common threads of life."

And I love their article about nutrition on their website: http://hawthornevet.com/articles/pet-nutrition

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holistic Pet Vet Clinic, Portland OR,   http://www.holisticpetvetclinic.com/home.html

They do sell dry food (Go!, Now!, Orijen, Evangers) but also sell raw food (Rad Cat, Northwest Naturals).  Better than nothing anyway.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 05:30:08 PM by Mo »