Author Topic: So the youngest granddaughter  (Read 3562 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
So the youngest granddaughter
« on: December 20, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »
She's been having to go to school this week when her sister didn't (exempt from semester exams), and wonder of all wonders, she's got type-A flu whichever that one is. She had a flu shot too. So whatever type-A is, the shot didn't work against it.

I've been exposed to her the past 2 days to take her home since her mom can't get to after-care on time due to the recent, extra traffic.

The Dr. is giving all 4 of them tamiflu though. I really hope I don't get this garbage from being around her. People are going to be awfully hungry on Christmas day if I do.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: So the youngest granddaughter
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »
You're immune system is probably strong enough to fight it off.  fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 04:00:59 PM »
In a perfect world, I'd have one.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 09:35:55 PM »
You know what I'm going to say, right?  Vitamin C 1000 mg, several times a day (if it triggers diarrhea, back off on the dose), alternating with Zicam or Cold-Eeze, keeping the C and zinc at least 30 minutes apart.  L-Lysine, if you have it handy.  There's a whole slew of other things I could suggest, but the biggies (IMO) are the C and zinc.  They are really good at helping the body resist viruses.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 11:07:28 PM »
You know what I'm going to say, right?  Vitamin C 1000 mg, several times a day (if it triggers diarrhea, back off on the dose), alternating with Zicam or Cold-Eeze, keeping the C and zinc at least 30 minutes apart.  L-Lysine, if you have it handy.  There's a whole slew of other things I could suggest, but the biggies (IMO) are the C and zinc.  They are really good at helping the body resist viruses.

Thank you! I've been sucking on alternating Zicams and Emergen-C since I was called. I've got a message into the Dr's main office to tell them they forgot me (we all see same Dr's group), and I've upped my Colchicine to max dose for the next few days since it has the tendency to slow cell regeneration. Figured that along with the other stuff might slow any possible issues enough for my body to fight it off if she passed me her germs. I've also drank ACV a couple of extra times today. Usually only use it before meals, but hey.

I can't do a whole lot of Vitamin C though. It eats my stomach up, and all I do is wake up burping up acid. About 2000 a day is all I can handle. If they don't call me in some Tamiflu tomorrow, I'll go get the L-Lysine tomorrow when I'm getting mom's groceries. Anything else?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 08:56:46 AM »
My Dr. said I needed Tamiflu too. Do I still keep on taking Zicam and everything with it?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »
If anyone can fix you right up... Pookie can! 

Hug1 :-*
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 10:52:52 AM »
My Dr. said I needed Tamiflu too. Do I still keep on taking Zicam and everything with it?

I would think so, unless the package insert says otherwise.  Those are things you would get from your diet (lysine is an amino acid), so if the insert says to avoid, say, oranges or citrus, you can take the C.

Other things, if you can find them (is there a health food store that you trust?) to help the immune system and fight colds (and if works for colds, I think it should help with the flu):  oregano oil (can be bought in pill form, take with food), colloidal silver, elderberry (in pill form), fenugreek and thyme (combined, in pill form), echinacea.

I have a list at home that I refer to, because when I have a cold I tend to forget some of the things I can take to fight it, but I'm not there now.  And you don't need to take all those things, or all at once.  Like I said, zinc and C are the biggies (does C upset your stomach if you take it with food?).  Oregano oil is a good one, too.  Oh!  Garlic!  Garlic kills everything.  If you can eat garlic, or take a garlic supplement, that's worth a go.

If you know of someone who uses essential oils, there's something called Thieves which is a combination of 5 (I think) essential oils.  Taken in pill form, it can really kick some serious bug butt.  I've never used it, but I know of others who have.

EDIT:  A word of caution to you and anyone else reading this -- garlic and vitamin C are also blood-thinners, so if you're on medication to prevent blood clots or otherwise thin the blood, you may want to be careful how much you take.  In your case, Dee, if 2000 mg is also you can tolerate of the C, that may not be a problem.  The others may also thin the blood but I'm not aware of it.  Anti-inflammatories like C, garlic, etc. tend to also be  blood-thinners.

EDIT #2:  I did a quick Google and it looks like something called Ester-C doesn't cause heartburn.  Another option is taking a chewable form of Vitamin C, and I saw a something that said sodium ascorbate is non-acidic vitamin C.

If anyone can fix you right up... Pookie can! 

Hug1 :-*

Thanks for the vote of confidence!   :-* :-* HeadButt HeadButt
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 01:06:43 PM by Pookie »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 01:11:32 PM »
Thank you, Pookie! I'm going to print that out and take it to Howard's store.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 06:25:09 PM »
One thing I forgot to add on the list:  hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!  And rest (as much as possible).

P.S.  Chicken soup (or bone broth  :D) would also help.  If you're willing, you might want to have some Pedialyte on hand to help with hydrating and maintaining those electrolytes.  Gatorade is also an option, but I'm not a fan -- I think it has a lot of sugar.  Not sure about Pedialyte, but I have Mom keep some in the house for when she has diarrhea.   :-X

I hope the Tamiflu and the other stuff helps!   fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed :-* :-* Hug1 Hug1

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 06:42:39 PM »
One thing I forgot to add on the list:  hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!  And rest (as much as possible).

I just drink a lot of cran-grape juice whenever I'm sick, and I'm drinking it now even though I'm not sick.  I'm doing what I can to take things easy, but I had to be out grocery shopping for mom today after I picked up the Tamiflu. This is supposed to be our best day out of the past 3 and coming 2 b/c of rain.

I'll probably make chicken soup tomorrow night, but tonight, leftovers.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 08:54:42 PM »
I finally checked my list and there was 1 other thing, but I suspect you already take it:  a good probiotic.  It helps to take that even when you're not sick.

HangInThere

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 09:38:19 PM »
I finally checked my list and there was 1 other thing, but I suspect you already take it:  a good probiotic.  It helps to take that even when you're not sick.

That much I DO actually do along with vitamins and collagen since I can't take normal joint supplements.  With all the stomach problems I have with my FMF, it only makes sense to take probiotics.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 07:04:00 PM »
Sooooo were you able to miss out on the flu?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »
Yeah. Thank you for asking. However, I haven't felt so great taking that Tamiflu. Or, maybe I'm just overworked right now.

Tags: