Non Species Specific Furkid Topics > Pet Meds

Antibiotics

(1/2) > >>

Pookie:
So I've been doing a little digging and realized that both clavamox and amoxicillin are in the same "class" of antibiotics.  Both are related to penicillin.  Since Pookie couldn't tolerate either of them, I'm wondering if he has an issue with penicillin.  So I went back to that dental vet's article and looked up the other antibiotics he mentions.  I printed the drug inserts to read later, but wanted to get your thoughts/opinions/knowledge on these:

- Flagyl (aka metronidazole)
- clindamycin
- tetracycline
- ampicillin (also a penicillin med, so this I don't think this would work for Pookie, but toss your comments out for others to reference)
- Baytril

Thanks!   :-* HeadButt

Lola:
I agree...get away from the antibiotics that are related. Also, another reason not to consider convenia...related. 

Pookie:
Thanks, Lola, I didn't realize.  That gives me more reason to not use the Convenia.

DeeDee:
Because of the info I found about Baytril and cat retinas, I think I'd be inclined to pick one of these two that you listed:

- Flagyl (aka metronidazole)
- clindamycin

Tetracycline can really cause a human stomach to burn like Hades, so I'd be reluctant to give it to something that couldn't tell me it was hurting--especially a cat that already took Pepcid.

Middle Child:
Pookie I am so sorry!  I thought I mentioned in your other thread that amoxicilin clavamox and Convenia are all related.  That's one of the reasons I was so annoyed with your vet for recommending the Convenia.  It says right in the literature of convenia that a cat who can't tolerate penicillin should not have the Convenia injection.  Maybe I just thought it and forgot to actually post it, I am sorry about that.

The danger of retina degeneration and Baytril is very slight.  It might happen if a cat was on a very high dose, or on a prolonged dose.  Tolly took Baytril for his liver infections, he tolerated it very well. (though it is notoriously nasty tasting, you may want to use a gel capsule if using it, though I never did.

Mazy cat also tolerated Baytril well when she took it for a very bad ear infection, after I put the stop to any more clavamox for her.

Flagyl (metronidazole) I think is more for intestinal type bacterial issues, I'm not sure it would be appropriate for a dental.

I think you already know how I feel about the clindamycin, (Antirobe) I think it is fine for cats, and it is the most appropriate medication for dental infections.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version