Author Topic: Dr. Elsey's Litter  (Read 12776 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Dr. Elsey's Litter
« on: June 24, 2011, 12:09:18 PM »
I've tried a LOT of litters, but (IMHO) this one is THE BEST!  
I pay 15 bucks for 40 pounds, so the price is right too.  It clumps goooood.  No odor.  Next to NO dust.  Yippie!!!!  All the felines cover their "deposits" now.   :)

http://www.preciouscat.com/precious-classic-p-1.html

Precious Cat Classic… this is Dr. Elsey’s original litter and is very popular with cat owners who want a hard clumping, low tracking litter. It features a larger, denser particle that stays in the litter box better than fine grain litters. It clumps very hard and will not break apart in the litter box. Clumps that break down leave small pieces in the litter box. The small pieces left behind are odor. The better the clump, the better the litter.

Low tracking

Hard clumping

Superior odor control
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:06:25 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
Re: Dr. Elsey's Litter
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 02:57:15 PM »
It's our favorite too!

You can get a free bag:

http://www.preciouscat.com/pdf/Free_Litter_Fax_Form_fill_8-17-06.pdf

cat3
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:09:27 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline TesterDawg

• Yapper
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 04:30:42 PM »
It's our favorite too!

You can get a free bag:

http://www.preciouscat.com/pdf/Free_Litter_Fax_Form_fill_8-17-06.pdf

cat3

Thanks for posting the link to the free bag!!   dance1
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:06:52 PM by Lola, Reason: spelling error »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 09:09:18 PM »
You guys are lucky, my kitten eats corn litter, so that experiment failed.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:09:55 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 09:28:59 PM »

No corn in Dr. Elsey's litter.  Is it possible you are thinking of World's Best?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:07:22 PM by Lola, Reason: spelling error »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 07:49:51 AM »

No corn in Dr. Elsey's litter.  Is it possible you are thinking of World's Best?

OH!  Yes, that IS what I am thinking of! <hurries off to check the link>

<edit>  OH yes, now I remember.  I looked into that because the main reason I don't like clumping is the size of the particles.  I have a male cat who squats very low to pee.

The reason I haven't ever tried it is availability. And price. $14.99 for 18 pounds (at Amazon)....according to one review, that lasts 2 week for one cat. Yikes. Even with free shipping, that is beyond my reach.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:23:05 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 12:28:19 PM »

OH!  Yes, that IS what I am thinking of! <hurries off to check the link>

<edit>  OH yes, now I remember.  I looked into that because the main reason I don't like clumping is the size of the particles.  I have a male cat who squats very low to pee.

The reason I haven't ever tried it is availability. And price. $14.99 for 18 pounds (at Amazon)....according to one review, that lasts 2 week for one cat. Yikes. Even with free shipping, that is beyond my reach.

I have shopped at Amazon for mannnnny years.  I'm disappointed with their high price (29.99 for 40 pounds) and ruse of "free shipping."  http://www.amazon.com/Precious-Cat-Premium-Clumping-Litter/dp/B0009X29WK/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309022177&sr=8-1-fkmr0  I understand it is costly to ship, but it would be more honest of them (IMHO) to just charge a decent price and not offer "free" shipping. Let the consumer decide if they want to pay the price of shipping or not.

PetsMart, in my area, only carries Cat Attract.  PetCo carries all the "flavors."  Often a feed stores that carry small pet products as well, will carry Dr. Elsey's... or can special order items for customers.  

The dust and/or perfume-y smells found in so many litters was KILLING me.  (Can't imagine the cats were too pleased either.) Seems if there wasn't dust or perfume, the litter boxes smelled to high heaven!  I really noticed how well a litter worked (or didn't), when we added two boxes to the master bedroom.   :o
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:08:11 PM by Lola, Reason: spelling error »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 12:43:07 PM »
Oh yes, I agree about the Amazon price and their "free shipping" with a jacked up price.  I do have a feed store, but not once in all the years I have shopped there have they EVER followed up on something they supposedly "special ordered" for me, including Dr Elsey's. It's really annoying, but even if I call them on it "well you said already that you would order that for me" they just say, oh, yes I have to look into that. And, if, by some miracle they DO get the product in, they inevitably put it out and it is sold before I find out it's even come in.

it's just not worth the constant aggravation. Ironically they actually advertise locally (they are local owned) that they do "special orders" and "recognize repeat customers" and "get to know you and your needs". Oh Really?  How many times have I gone in and asked for the pro bios, and gottne funny looks when I do so.  

Sorry for the drift, that feed store gets my hackles up, as you can tell, haha.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:08:51 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 01:31:46 PM »
I buy the Dr Elsey's "Precious Cat Ultra" at Petsmart~ it's usually $14.99 for a 40 pound bag.  Last time I bought it was on sale $12.99 for 40 pounds~ not bad  :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:13:28 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »
I buy the Dr Elsey's "Precious Cat Ultra" at Petsmart~ it's usually $14.99 for a 40 pound bag.  Last time I bought it was on sale $12.99 for 40 pounds~ not bad  :)

Same price I paid.  I thought it was TOTALLY reasonable.  I buy litter any time I am NEAR a pet store.  lol  My theory...can't have too much litter on hand.   cat1
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:10:34 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 02:33:12 PM »
I also bed the litter really deep and use big litter boxes~ 1 40 pound bag for 1 litter box~ if they can't reach the bottom of the box and you can scoop the waste out your litter lasts a lot longer.

My favorite litter scoop in the world: http://www.litter-lifter.com/

cat3
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:10:52 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 09:43:11 PM »
I also bed the litter really deep and use big litter boxes~ 1 40 pound bag for 1 litter box~ if they can't reach the bottom of the box and you can scoop the waste out your litter lasts a lot longer.

My favorite litter scoop in the world: http://www.litter-lifter.com/

cat3

A 40 pound bag fits into ONE litter box!   :o  I do go deeper then the recommended 3 inches, for the reasons you stated.
The scoop looks cool.  I do a LOT of shoveling...need better ones.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:11:51 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Tasha

• Yapper
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 07:56:41 AM »
I have 2 litter boxes out (2 cats).  One box is the Petmate Giant Litter pan and the other one is a Biddy Box, I like the Petmate one better but the Biddy looks better in my cat room  :D

Here is the Petmate:

http://www.amazon.com/Petmate-22040-Giant-Litter-Pan/dp/B000HHLVA4

Here is the Biddy:

http://www.biddycat.com/

Seriously, get the litter lifter scoop~ you will never use any other kind again  thumbsup1

cat3
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:12:11 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 04:56:17 PM »
I have to have boxes with lids, or I would be cleaning the walls.  BTDT  I slowly added boxes with lids.  Everyone seems to be okay with them.  I was a little concerned with our last addition.  She was an outdoor cat for 5 years.  She adjusted easily.  Overall, she's been a QUEEN with adjusting to allllll the changes in her life.  We lucked out with her.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:12:27 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 06:38:59 PM »
Tasha,
Does this look like the same "Litter Lifter?"  Was in Petco today, but wasn't sure. http://www.petco.com/product/113841/The-Litter-Lifter-Raking-Cat-Litter-Scoop.aspx?Ntt=litter%20lifter&OneResultRedirect=1

Also, I can't thank you ENOUGH for recommending Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat litter!!!    kissyou  I'm pretty sure I tried every brand made.  Never completely happy with any.

The next to no-dust issue...better than any present I've ever received!   :D
All 7 of ours now cover their "deposits."  I thought it was an individual cat preference to do or not to do.  Nope.  HAD to be the previous litter choices.  (This went on with every brand I ever used...except Precious Cat litter.)  

I have since learned that cats don't like perfume-y smells or dust.  Can't blame them.  I don't either...and I don't have to use a small enclosed area to do my "business."  ;)

I didn't realize our boxes do require 40 lbs of litter.  Probably because I always used litter that came in smaller packages.  Didn't do the math.  lol
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 09:12:56 PM by Lola, Reason: Correct Subject Line spelling error »