Author Topic: Sourdough Science  (Read 4772 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Sourdough Science
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 02:37:53 PM »
hahaha... Google 20 inch oven mitts.  You should find them around.  Alternatively, look into restaurant or baker's supply distributors/stores.  I bet you'll find something.

Thank you! I'll do that!

About Herman... that must be a regional thing.  I was talking to another lady about my experiment, and she talked about how she used to have a Herman.  She also said Herman was made with milk, and that she had a circle of friends who shared Herman, much like you'd do with an Amish Friendship bread.  

One person would feed and care for Herman to get as much as they needed for their bread.  They'd bake their bread, and pass Herman on to the next person.  The next person would do the same.  With 4 or 5 folks in the circle, by the time Herman came back around to the first person, they were ready to bake again.  This way, nobody had to discard any Herman down the drain.  I thought that was pretty clever.

But it does give new meaning to the phrases; "Sharing Herman", "I need Herman", "I need to feed Herman", "I'm warming up Herman"... lol

LOL! I've heard of sharing starter too. I think it was done especially in the war/depression era b/c people were so limited on things. It just didn't make sense to feed Herman if you weren't going to be able to use it soon enough.

You made me really curious as to why some call them "Herman" and others don't. So I did a little Googling and found this story:

http://soursaltybittersweet.com/content/sourdough-diaries-beginning%E2%80%94introducing-ezekiel-and-how-and-why-make-sourdough-starter

It seems that I was kind of right when I decided it was some kind of pet that you were feeding, but it seems that some people give their own starters their own names. Sort of weird and cool all at the same time.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
Re: Sourdough Science
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 02:45:15 AM »
Just thought I'd share....

basic recipe with a little oil and sugar...  perfect for sandwiches

meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth