Author Topic: Safe Use of Flea and Tick Products in Pets  (Read 869 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Safe Use of Flea and Tick Products in Pets
« on: June 26, 2014, 07:49:18 PM »
Snip...

Caution with Spot-On Products

In spring 2009, EPA noticed an increase in pet incidents being reported involving spot-on pesticide products for pets. EPA received a large amount of bad pet reaction information reported to the companies that hold registrations for these products. EPA formed a veterinarian team with the Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) and Canada’s Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA) to review this information. The team studied incidents involving cats and dogs, looked at the ingredients, studied labeling, and discussed data needs for the future to improve analyses and regulation.
Based on its analysis, EPA determined that some changes need to be made in how spot-on products are regulated, how companies report data on pet incidents, and how packages are labeled for cats, dogs, and size of animals to ensure the safety of these products. Based on reported incidents, EPA also concluded that many but not all pet incidents took place because the products were misused.
http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm169831.htm
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Safe Use of Flea and Tick Products in Pets
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 08:16:27 PM »
Thank you, Lola.

I really wish we didn't have so many of these pests to worry about. Especially worry about the ticks and Lyme Disease because I won't get the Lyme vaccine for them.

I wish something would work without the smell of "herbal repellents," that may or may not work all the time. I wish DE weren't such a mess that prevents you from putting your face on your pet and breathing.

I just wish that parasites didn't exist at all. I don't see Mother Nature's point of having the darned things in the first place, even though there's supposed to be a rhyme and reason for everything on earth.

I wish the FDA DID control this stuff along with the EPA, because I think our pets along with us would be safer if it did.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: Safe Use of Flea and Tick Products in Pets
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 08:21:12 AM »
I just wish that parasites didn't exist at all. I don't see Mother Nature's point of having the darned things in the first place, even though there's supposed to be a rhyme and reason for everything on earth.

This is my theory, FWIW:  population control.  The weak die so there's enough resources (e.g. food/water) for the strong, and only the strong survive.  No one ever said Mother Nature was kind.

I'm sorry you have so many bugs around, though.  grouphug
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: