Author Topic: Nutro Complaints  (Read 2336 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Nutro Complaints
« on: March 09, 2012, 01:31:42 PM »
The Nutro complaints go back mannnny years. (I got tired of scrolling, in order to come up with an exact month and year.) With all the current serious complaints, seems like a pretttty serious issue of concern to me.

Patricia of New Canaan, CT on March 4, 2012
My dog became very ill this week. He refused to eat Nutro food (after eating it for 10 years). He was vomiting, lethargic and needing tons of water. After three days, I took him to the vet. Vet said no obstructions, no tumors but elevated liver enzymes. They were going to keep him over the weekend and see if he responded to antibiotics.

He died overnight. My family is devastated. He had an annual physical on 2/4 and was healthy. On 2/21, I bought a new bag of Nutro Large Breed lamb and rice. After a few days, he completely rejected the food. A black lab never rejects food. He would eat cut up chicken and other food but totally rejected this bag of Nutro.

I have no idea if the sudden liver failure and fast death was related to the dog food but I found it ironic that this site has similar stories and that my dog rejected the food. I then learned of another family in my neighborhood in CT who also lost a dog to sudden death this month. The dog also ate Nutro. I will be asking someone to test the dog food to prevent other dogs from getting sick.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/nutro.html
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Nutro Complaints
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 01:41:59 PM »
Hi everyone. I apologize if there is already a thread about this. Each time I tried to search I got booted totally out of the thread.

I wanted to check here, thanks to a great suggestion from Cleosmom, to learn if anyone here has recently had a k-9 have severe illness or even death soon after using a dry Nutro Natural Choice product food or snack? Unfortunately, have, but fortunately I had given the snack so my fur baby is home now after her hospital stay, but still on antibiotics. She's had a tough go of it.

I thought it was just me until a friend linked me with two others yesterday. They are neighbors thousands of miles away from me. Like me, they had used Nutro products for years and their beloved fur babies did well on them. Unlike me, they both used Nutro food.

Sadly, both of these neighbors had symptoms so similar to what I saw in my beloved fur baby, but their special family members both died due to liver failure.

I'm outraged looking at Consumer Reports that Nutro has had complaints about certain Nutro dry foods as far back as 2008, yet they've done nothing. Now, Nutro has a PR firm fronting as their direct representatives. The FDA started an investigation but I can't see that they followed up on anything.

If nothing else, please be aware if you purchased products in Jan - Feb 2012, those are the reported dates so far of the last round of problems from Nutro.

I sincerely did not post this to trash Nutro as their product helped my little one for many years, but mostly to alert others and learn if anyone else had additional information. I wish they would respond to those of us who have had pet get sick, and especially those those who lost fur babies, after eating from a newly opened bag of a Nutro product.

Thank you in advance for anything you can add.

MSR

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/1514533-any-k-9-problems-nutro-dry.html#ixzz1oeOBrQFb

http://www.city-data.com/forum/dogs/1514533-any-k-9-problems-nutro-dry.html

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:47:22 PM »
Wonder if Nutro is one of the brands not being named on Truth About Pet Food here?  (Sounds like the Purina complaints which have been pouring in since 2011, but I hadn't been checking Nutro's CA page either -- could be the "same ship, different year" scenario...)

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/seven-dead-pets-in-five-days.html    

Have you taken a look at ConsumerAffairs.com lately?  The pet food/treat complaints registered with the site?  Type in the search box a name of a popular pet food brand or treat, then click on Consumer Complaints; you'll be shocked.  Hundreds of pet deaths and illnesses just within the two weeks of February 2012.

Pet Owner #1 that contacted me lost three healthy dogs within six weeks.  One ten year old dog, one four year old dog, one 17 months.  She has a $19,000.00 vet bill.  She has reported the deaths to her FDA ...  She has reported the deaths to the pet food company - which hung up on her.  The pet food company asked "What is the lot number from the bag?"  Pet Owner #1 explained the bag was thrown away because she stores her pet food in air tight containers, the pet food company representative said "No food, no claim" - and hung up

Pet Owner #2 lost three healthy dogs within three months.  She is grieving and feels horrible guilt of giving her dogs Chinese imported jerky treats.  

Pet Owner #3 lost a four month old puppy within three weeks of buying a leading pet food brand.

(Kinda OT but can't help but wonder why Kirkland is "different"; no hesitation stating that brand's name. And what "news is spreading fast"?   :-\ :-\
http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/reports-of-possible-problems-with-kirkland-dog-food.html  )

News is spreading fast of possible links to Kirkland canned dog foods (sold at Costco) to sick and dying dogs.  

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:19:26 AM »
I'm a little confused...
TAPF didn't want to name brand names "due to legal reasons," when there were tons of possible issues. However, she named Kirkland when one inside source had a possible issue with it?  
Other then her site, I can't find any Kirkland complaints.  ??
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 01:21:47 AM by Lola »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 02:28:43 AM »
FurkidParent, on Twitter, tweeted:
Consumer complaints about #Nutro Pet Foods #SickAndDeadPets http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/nutro.html via @ConsumerAffairs

A Twitter reply from Edna At Nutro:

Edna Wong ‏ @EdnaAtNutro 
@FurkidParent Hi! For accurate and current information concerning Nutro products, please visit www.thenutro.co/ApJsKQ

Offline AK49BWL

• PF's Cat Daddy
  • Administrator
  • Gabster
  • The Cat Guy
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 05:11:32 AM »
LOL, go figure!
Brandon

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 07:39:45 AM »
FurkidParent, on Twitter, tweeted:
A Twitter reply from Edna At Nutro:

Isn't that just typical.  Nutro has employees joining pet forums to push their products. They aren't clandestine about it, very upfront, calling themselves user names such as NutroLori or NutroMike. After Mars bought the company the food took a very definite nose dive in quality, and that was quite a few years ago now. I was using Nutro as part of a rotation.  After the buy out, when the new batches came out, my cats refused to eat the food.  Even the non-finicky cats.  In fact when I put it down, they would walk a wide berth around it.

I contacted Nutro about this and was told that they had no other complaints (lie) and "if my cats won't eat the food they must be sick and I should take them to the vet".  That was the only communication I received (even though I complained about the person who said that to me, it sounded to ME like someone tired of fielding COMPLAINTS).  Needless to say, Nutro has never gotten a penny more of my money, and I will continue to try to talk people out of feeding it to their pets.

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 08:01:53 AM »
I'm a little confused...
TAPF didn't want to name brand names "due to legal reasons," when there were tons of possible issues. However, she named Kirkland when one inside source had a possible issue with it?  
Other then her site, I can't find any Kirkland complaints.  ??

Can only assume that Kirkland's Lawyers have yet to reach the point of threatening advocates with  "slander" suits for  merely sharing whatever truths & info about them, they are such a small guppy in an ocean compared to Purina.  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:08:36 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »
Isn't that just typical.  Nutro has employees joining pet forums to push their products. They aren't clandestine about it, very upfront, calling themselves user names such as NutroLori or NutroMike. After Mars bought the company the food took a very definite nose dive in quality, and that was quite a few years ago now. I was using Nutro as part of a rotation.  After the buy out, when the new batches came out, my cats refused to eat the food.  Even the non-finicky cats.  In fact when I put it down, they would walk a wide berth around it.

I contacted Nutro about this and was told that they had no other complaints (lie) and "if my cats won't eat the food they must be sick and I should take them to the vet".  That was the only communication I received (even though I complained about the person who said that to me, it sounded to ME like someone tired of fielding COMPLAINTS).  Needless to say, Nutro has never gotten a penny more of my money, and I will continue to try to talk people out of feeding it to their pets.

Yeah, I've seen Nutro reps "working" hard on pet forums lately.  Not sure if the laws are the same, but years ago...employees, of a company, had to identify themselves as such on forums. 

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 01:07:22 PM »
Dont get me started on those darn Nutro reps!!! bangshead bangshead
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Tags: