Author Topic: ASU awarded $6.4M grant to test preventive cancer vaccine for dogs  (Read 1024 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
ASU awarded $6.4M grant to test preventive cancer vaccine for dogs

The Open Philanthropy Project awarded a multi-year grant of $6,421,402 to Stephen Albert Johnston at Arizona State University to support the largest interventional canine clinical trial ever conducted. The trial will assess the effectiveness of a unique vaccine in preventing any type of cancer in dogs.

The trial will enroll at least 800 owners’ pets to test the efficacy of a novel vaccine to prevent cancer.

“Our goal has always been, that if this is possible, we should at least try it,” said Johnston, who directs the Biodesign Center for Innovations in Medicine and is a professor in the School of Life Sciences. “Open Philanthropy was the only organization that responded to support our high-risk project, the biggest cancer intervention trial in dogs ever. I really admire them for that.”

Continued at: https://asunow.asu.edu/20180103-discoveries-asu-awarded-64m-grant-test-preventive-cancer-vaccine-dogs
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Re: ASU awarded $6.4M grant to test preventive cancer vaccine for dogs
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 12:43:02 PM »
Didn't read the link, but my first thought was, "Or you could just stop pushing garbage as "food" and reduce the vaccines.  I bet that would go a LONG way to reduce the number of cancer cases in pets."   2cents
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: ASU awarded $6.4M grant to test preventive cancer vaccine for dogs
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 07:59:12 PM »
The trial will be conducted under the direction of Douglas Thamm, director of clinical research at the Flint Animal Cancer Center at Colorado State University. Healthy, middle-aged pet dogs will be enrolled, continuing to live their normal lives at home and receiving biannual exams with a complete clinical pathology workup.

Dogs will be randomly chosen to receive either the vaccine or a mock version. Dogs receiving the mock vaccine are expected to develop cancer at normal rates. The experiment will determine whether the test vaccine can prevent cancers.

The article was interesting.  Not sure what I think about it. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: