Author Topic: ABC Mediots Getting Sued Over Pink Slime "Name-Calling"  (Read 2067 times)

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
ABC Mediots Getting Sued Over Pink Slime "Name-Calling"
« on: September 16, 2012, 12:48:57 PM »
http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/09/13/meat-processor-sues-abc-news-diane-sawyer-for-1-2-billion-for-name-calling/

Webb said the reports had a “catastrophic” impact on the company, forcing it to close three of its four U.S. plants and lay off 700 workers.
ABC published a list of major grocery stores that stopped selling the product, pressuring others to follow suit by placing them on a “black list,” he said.

I wasn't aware of the red-fonted, but rather the latter as my family had given me the scoop.  Anyone else ever hear the whole story regarding "Pink Slime"?   Everyone in my family was asking their groceries' meat departments about it and I'd read that it had been used in pet foods until around 10 or so years ago.  

Critics worry about how the meat is processed. Bits of beef are heated and treated with a small amount of ammonia to kill bacteria, a practice that has been used for decades and meets federal food safety standards. Webb said that ABC ignored that information, instead giving the impression “that it’s some type of chemical product … some kind of repulsive, horrible, vile substance that got put into ground beef and hidden from consumers.”

The name “pink slime” gained traction after The New York Times quoted Zirnstein in a 2009 article on the safety of meat processing methods. Soon after, celebrity chef Jamie Oliver began railing against it.

Zirnstein is  the USDA microbiologist who named the product “pink slime".
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 12:58:09 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: ABC Mediots Getting Sued Over Pink Slime "Name-Calling"
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 08:06:01 PM »
I was under the impression it is a "filler."  A filler, not consisting of any terribly horrible beef parts...so to speak.  It stretched the meat further.  ??

I did get a kick out of this...
“The media — regardless of your opinion of them — don’t usually print something that they know to be false,” Garry said. “It may be negligent, but usually there’s a malice requirement as well.”
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »
I was under the impression it is a "filler."  A filler, not consisting of any terribly horrible beef parts...so to speak.

Every time I've heard the words "pink slime", I've been reminded of watching Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution show with the granddaughter.

Did anyone ever see this experiment? I've seen it go wrong as in this clip, and I've seen kids almost vomit seeing it too.

Add a bit of (I've also heard chlorine.)
to kill the germs that are most likely in,

and you see what "pink slime 'chicken style'" is. Still want to eat the stuff?

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 07:54:55 AM »
A quick search led me to this website with an ABC report.

http://www.momables.com/does-my-grocery-sell-meat-with-pink-slime/

They recommend purchasing meat stamped USDA organic, because if it is stamped USDA organic, there will be no pink slime in it.  Way more expensive, but since I eat ground beef very rarely, I guess when I do buy it, I will buy organic.