Author Topic: Where are you all getting fresh meat?  (Read 5908 times)

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
Where are you all getting fresh meat?
« on: April 04, 2020, 06:04:36 AM »
It is almost impossible here, at least in the amount I need.  I've been stocking up on canned food, which I hate to do because the kids really don't like it anymore, but what alternative is there when the shelves are empty?  I am ashamed to admit it, but I even bought two bags of Young Again, a high-protein kibble, as my "break the glass" last resort if everything shuts down and I can't even get the canned.  I hope I never have to open them.

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Where are you all getting fresh meat?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 08:00:52 AM »
I am still getting meat from the grocery store. I tend to keep a month ahead at all times anyway, so I'm still doing okay. When I go to the store I check the shelves and grab a pack of anything I see that I can use, to stay topped up.

I find the earlier I go the more choice there is.

I do have a rather large stock of canned that I bought for Jennie Angel when she was diagnosed with cancer (she left me January 28, 2019) so I have it if I need it.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 05:23:26 PM »
I am still getting meat from the grocery store. I tend to keep a month ahead at all times anyway, so I'm still doing okay. When I go to the store I check the shelves and grab a pack of anything I see that I can use, to stay topped up.

I find the earlier I go the more choice there is.

I do have a rather large stock of canned that I bought for Jennie Angel when she was diagnosed with cancer (she left me January 28, 2019) so I have it if I need it.

I am so sorry to hear about Jennie Angel.  I lost my sweet Jennyanydots last year.  I noticed that she was drooling a lot, gone back to hiding, and stopped grooming herself.  I took her to the vet.  He said that her lower jaw was broken.  At first, we thought it could be fixed, but then he discovered that a tumor had basically destroyed the bone.  I could have kept her alive longer, but her quality of life would have been horrible. 

I am glad you've been able to get enough meat.  Maybe physically going to the store really is the answer, but housemate is in a very high risk group, and we pretty much don't go anywhere anymore, and have to depend on what we can get via pickup or delivery.  I hate giving them food of lesser quality, but if we die, they will have no home, and will surely die as well.  One thing that haunts me is the number of pets that will be left homeless (or worse, left alone to starve when their owners are hospitalized) by this pandemic. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 07:00:35 PM »
I'm so sorry for your loss of Jennyanydots.  My Jennie had colon cancer.  Her threads are here in case you are looking for something to pass the time ever. Her cancer thread and then her memorial thread.

I know how you feel about resorting to canned foods after feeding raw. My advice would be, if you still have raw meat, and still can get some now and then is feed it in rotation. Don't wait until you are completely out of raw resources before you go back to canned, as that will be a shock to their systems.

I already feed a small amount of canned every week, one meal a week, to ensure if they ever have to go one it again they will be used to it.

Feed some canned to stretch the raw out.  Any raw is better than none, so feeding a rotation of canned and raw will help keep them in the best condition you can. Hug1

I try very hard not to worry about future or possible events I have no control over.  My mental health and anxiety level is hanging by a thin thread as it is. I take care of mine and reach out to loved ones and that is all I can do. Hopefully people, especially those at high risk are making arrangements in advance, just in case.

You can do the same to help alleviate your anxiety.  Make up a list of their routines and keep a journal of who is fed what when. I have a cat journal and I have a friend who would come and feed my girls if I needed her to.

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 08:04:09 AM »
I've gradually alternated raw with the canned until the raw ran out.  The unavailability of fresh meat here was sudden and shocking.  One day, there was no problem, and what seemed like the next moment, it was gone.  I still keep looking, so I can get what I can.  There is, of course, also the issue of freezer space.  I wanted to get a second freezer when I first began to suspect what might be coming, but that was not an option. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 09:40:25 AM »
Oh darn I didn't realize you were completely out.  How about ordering from somewhere on line? HareToday?

https://hare-today.com/

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 08:04:03 AM »
Seven pets and limited income.  Seven pets eat a lot of food.  I can afford raw when I can get drumsticks for a dollar and other meat for two, with other splurges now and then.  I have looked and looked to see if there are other sources of meat that fit our budget, but with no luck whatsoever.  Hopefully the supply line will get sorted soon.  I'll try to figure out the cost of Hare Today as opposed to canned, which is already costing more than I am used to, and see how that looks.  I started doing this on a shoestring, and doubling (or tripling) the cost is not going to go over well, particularly with a raw food skeptic.  I will look again at the co-ops.  Maybe they've expanded their delivery areas. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2020, 12:08:56 PM »
I understand Catgirl. It was the only on line source I could think of.  Yes I am lucky (if you can cal it that) that I had so much canned left over from my Jennie's cancer. I took her off raw after being diagnosed because she had also had a campylocbacter infection (at first we thought that was all that was wrong).

Hug1 and  GoodVibes fingerscrossed that a source will appear for you soon..

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 06:00:45 AM »
I'm not optimistic.  Have you been following the news about meat packing plants?  Production is way down due to Covid, and many have closed.  Not surprising, as the working conditions in those places make them literal petri dishes.  I hate, hate, hate giving the kids commercial food of any kind, even the best canned, but right now, when we can get meat, it's for us, and even at that, I've warned J to prepare herself for a more plant-oriented diet in the coming months, and more fish (at least that is a mutual favorite, and still not hard to get).  We're not running low yet, but that is only because of our freezer.  I buy what I can, when I can, to keep it full, not just of meat, but also of vegetables, fruit, bread, and leftovers of all kinds.  It's not hard to get all of those items (yet), but we are trying very hard to limit both pickups and deliveries, to protect ourselves, but also to protect the store workers and delivery drivers whose risk increases with every interaction.  So we stock up, and try to make every order count.  I don't see this situation improving anytime soon, unless we start taking serious steps to protect the underpaid, underinsured workers who put food on our tables.

A neighbor of ours has a huge garden.  He and his wife raise almost all of their own vegetables, and they give a lot away to food pantries.  I have asked J, who has known him far longer than I, to allow us to buy a certain amount of whatever is in season each week, sort of like CSA.  I hope he is not offended by this.  I'm also going to try to find local people who raise chickens and other small livestock who may have meat to sell. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 07:46:39 AM »
Sounds like a good plan Catgirl! Let us know how it's working out, okay? I am still okay with about 2 months worth for each cat in the freezers. Mazy cat is more of a concern because she can eat only organic Non-GMO Project Verified chicken. A friend has offered me some of her freezer space if I want to try to stock up a little more on her chicken.

I have re-introduced canned into their rotation though, just in case. Queen Eva is getting canned meals three days a week now, both breakfast and lunch: 0.6 oz meals, so 3.6 ounces a week. Mazy cat is getting canned twice a week, 0.35 oz for lunch on Sundays and Wednesdays, so 0.7 oz a week.

This is not only to prolong the meat supply I have, but to ensure their bodies are used to the canned, if it comes to that.  Mazy cat, I know, will do very poorly on an all canned diet, or even half. Queen Eva may not do much better. Both cats were originally put on raw for digestive health reasons 8 years ago.

The canned food is Castor & Pollux Organix pate chicken. It is USDA certified organic, and more importantly Non-GMO Project Verified. It's not a great food, containing too many peas, but it's the only thing I have found that even remotely fits the needs of Mazy cat.

The worst thing about it is Castor & Pollux is owned by Purina now. Sooner or later I know they will start messing with the recipe, if they haven't already. The batch I am using now was purchased almost 2 years ago, with a use by date of November 2020. I have a new batch coming, just so I don't worry about having enough with a later date. I will be checking the label carefully.

Tags: