Author Topic: Warning about something going around...  (Read 1762 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Warning about something going around...
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:35:15 AM »
I've seen several people giving out this warning:

Burns caused by Certifect Flea & Tick topical product. fb.me/1YaoXfFIQ

Now I'm NOT promoting the product. Everyone has to decide whether to or not to use flea & tick products.
However I hate seeing people going off when there's an obvious underlying cause of something. I have been giving this information to the people that Tweet that info; however, if you have a FB account, I'd appreciate if you posted this info in the next paragraph on that page link from the Tweet..

That dog is a greyhound. From a greyhound info site: "When applying flea and tick medication directly to your Greyhound's skin, make sure that the medication only contains Pyrethrins, which originate from plants and are Greyhound safe." http://www.greyhounduniverse.com/medical.htm From what I understand, the product they used is Frontline plus one other ingredient http://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/view/certifect-flea-and-tick-control-for-dogs?gclid=CJSfxqfPv7MCFcrItAodJHIA7g That means it should have never been used on this dog especially. People should always do a spot check on their dogs before using the whole dose.

soapboxgif If that person's vet gave them that medicine, that person needs to be finding a new vet, because all vets should be very aware of greyhounds special medical issues like that. bangshead If that person ordered it off the internet or bought in a store, that poor dog needs a new owner that will pay attention to what those dogs special needs are. flamingangry

SO, what caused that dog's burns was most likely the fact that someone didn't consider that it might be one of the REALLY sensitive greys, and has nothing to do with the product formulation itself. For the novice caretaker, rescuing greyhounds is a great idea because the rescue will go over issues like that, completely, with the prospective new caretakers.

Greyhounds aren't the only dogs that have these reactions to topical products though, but they're trying new formulations of preventatives because of the high incidence of "tick fever" that's going on in a lot of the western states. Plenty of dogs CAN handle the different formulations, but as I said, ALWAYS SPOT TEST!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 09:02:01 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Warning about something going around...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 05:01:03 PM »
I TOTALLY get it that you aren't promoting the product, but are just explaining.   thumbsup1 

what caused that dog's burns was most likely the fact that someone didn't consider that it might be one of the REALLY sensitive greys, and has nothing to do with the product formulation itself.

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 08:38:16 AM »
I TOTALLY get it that you aren't promoting the product, but are just explaining.   thumbsup1 

It's really hard for me to tell you how much it angers me to see things like that...that poor dog suffering for no reason, when I know the weaknesses of certain breeds--and an owner REALLY should know. Even if they got it from a shelter, the shelter should know things like that, and warn the people before they allow adopters to take those types of dogs home!

SOMETHING went REALLY wrong in the system SOMEWHERE with that poor dog's caretakers.

Fun fact about Greyhounds--Greyhounds are the universal blood donor for dogs--like a human's O- blood.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »
Fun fact about Greyhounds--Greyhounds are the universal blood donor for dogs--like a human's O- blood.

THAT is interesting!  What else you got?   :D
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: