Author Topic: Outside Cat Enclosures  (Read 15178 times)

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Re: Outside Cat Enclosures
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2012, 05:41:03 PM »
Awesome pics!! that is huge!! wow, wish i had one.  They must be so excited and happy. Do you have a good lock on it so know one breaks in?

In the pictures, there is one lock.  It came with two... we have since put the other lock on.  One is on the top panel and the other is on the bottom panel.  They aren't actual locks.  Pin (?) locks. 
Not sure who or what you think may break in?  If a person goes into our backyard, they can't get into the house from the cat enclosure.  The cats aren't allowed out at night or when we aren't home.  We lock the cat door during those times.  No creatures (such as coyotes) can get into the cage. 

Lilly went outside for the first time today.  Now, all 7 have been outside.   ;D 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2012, 08:22:04 PM »
WOW! That is wonderful!  And they are all using the cat door?  I'm so happy for you and the cats!  I wouldn't want them using it at night or when I wasn't home, either.

So, is that a side of the yard that you use often, as a family?  I mean..will you be sitting out there, gardening, reading, socializing, whatever?...and the cats can be out there too?

That's how I got started harnessing my kids.  I was working so much, and my second summer in this apartment I decided to have some gardens.  The problem was, I had so little home time as it was, and if I was spending my home time out in the gardens, I wasn't with my cats.  It broke my heart to see them sitting in the window watching me, so I got permission from my landlord to put up a fence around a small area and started bringing them out with me.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2012, 09:19:38 PM »
Yes, all 7 are now using the cat door.  I keep trying to get a picture of them lining up at the door (to go outside)... waiting for their turn.  THAT is funnnnny...watching cats line up in a single file.  (No, it doesn't take much to entertain me.)

I was originally worried that the enclosure didn't have the best view from inside, but often someone is in the backyard doing something

Leonard would always watch us, from the kitchen window, when we were outside.  That always made me feel badly.  He would paw at the window.  If that didn't get our attention, he would unroll all the paper towels.   Bumpurr1  He was the only cat that got outside time.  He would just walk around and sniff everything out.  He showed no interest in running off.  The others... no way!

Your cats don't show any interest in jumping the fence?       

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 10:04:02 PM »
Nope, no one jumps the fence.  They were (are) indoor cats, used to a barrier of some sort in front of them, between them and the outside.  The yard is just an extension of that.  The first fence was only 42 inches high (3 ½ feet), and I had three cats then,  but two of the cats were already 10 years old when I started, they had no interest in going over anything,  plus my sweet boy, my seizure kitty.  He never went over the fence either,  but he figured out a way to slip through the gate, he was so slender.

The second time he did it he made it across the yard and into the woods.  My gosh I was absolutely terrified, I prayed frantically as I ran across the yard and forced myself though the underbrush. ( I was barefoot and never felt a thing, though later I discovered my feet had been cut and scratched to bloody pulp).  As I pushed through the bushes into the woods I saw him hesitate under a tall tree. I could see he was going to launch himself up the tree and I some how THREW my body at him, and caught him in mid air just as he made that first leap onto to the trunk of the tree. The saints heard my prayers, I don't know how I ever would have got him down from there. And he had only been on the phenobarbital for about a year when that happened, even one missed pill would bring on the seizures.

I brought him inside, got the two girls in, (they never strayed even though in my terror I had left the gate wide open) then sat down and shook and sobbed for hours.  Then I ordered a harness for him.  How he hated the harness, and dragging the string behind him.  Even after years of wearing it, he never really mastered it.  At first, he used to cry when I put it on him, but I was determined he was going to wear it.  His string length was 8 feet, so even if he did slip out, I could step on it and stop him, but because he hated it so much, it hindered his movements enough that he no longer tried to slip the gate (plus I made it more secure) The three cats who have come after him all adjusted to harness and string in almost no time at all, but of course they had examples to follow. Struvite Kitty was next, and she got it right away and never showed any interest in escaping at all,  then Top Cat, then Little Cat.

When Top Cat came I decided to put in a taller fence because she had lived on her own for a long time, and I knew a 3 ½ foot jump would be nothing to her. I didn't want her giving the other cats any ideas, so I got 6 foot fencing, and installed it with the posts a foot shorter so it hangs over a little. She has never shown any interest in jumping the fence though. Little Cat was introduced to outside in her Castle (large dog crate), by the time she had free reign in the yard it never occurred to her that there was a way over the fence.

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2012, 10:40:31 PM »
That's cool your cats do so well outside!  Although, it does make sense why they wouldn't WANT to leave.   :D

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 09:14:34 PM »
How's the outdoor enclosure working out Lola?

I just saw this link to a website that sells outdoor trees, and it made me think of you and your cat run: They have a 4 tier and a 3 tier, on sale now.  They look nice.  Though pricey, even on sale:

four tier

http://www.ticknthistle.com/cat_furniture/outdoor-cat-furniture.htm

three tier:

http://www.ticknthistle.com/cat_furniture/outdoor-cat-tree.htm

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 11:09:44 PM »
They haven't been out much. During the winter, there isn't any direct sunlight....always shady and chilly.  With me being sick, I haven't wanted any extra cold air in the room either...so, I have kept the cat door shut for the most part.  It will work out better in the summer... it will get some sun, but not scorching sun.

Those are cool cat trees! Interesting...hubby bought some wood to do something similar. Right now, we just have three shelves that are attached to the "walls." 

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2014, 01:53:47 PM »

The cats have been LOVING the outdoor enclosure.  We have been having some realllllly nice weather. 
All but Roxy.  Not sure why she has no interest.  I would "force" her through the door, so she would know what she is missing...but I would have to go to ER after.  ;)
We ordered another section.  The added section will make the enclosure go around the corner.  It will give them sun, different times of the day. 

(I feel just a lttttttle bit carpy posting this, MC.) 

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2014, 01:55:39 PM »
How's the outdoor enclosure working out Lola?

I just saw this link to a website that sells outdoor trees, and it made me think of you and your cat run: They have a 4 tier and a 3 tier, on sale now.  They look nice.  Though pricey, even on sale:

four tier

http://www.ticknthistle.com/cat_furniture/outdoor-cat-furniture.htm

three tier:

http://www.ticknthistle.com/cat_furniture/outdoor-cat-tree.htm

Is it just me?  Can anyone else get the above links to work? 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2014, 01:58:38 PM »
No they don't work for me either, but they are over a year old, so maybe the site just isn't there any more.

Lola, I am very happy to hear how well it is going at your house and would like to see more pictures, I think extending it around the corner will be so cool!

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »
There are still some sites with their products for sale if you Google "Tick n Thistle Outdoor Cat Furniture."

But their FB account hasn't even been active since last year:

https://www.facebook.com/ticknthistle
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2014, 02:39:45 PM »
No they don't work for me either, but they are over a year old, so maybe the site just isn't there any more.

Lola, I am very happy to hear how well it is going at your house and would like to see more pictures, I think extending it around the corner will be so cool!

Thanks for checking!  Glad it isn't my internet.  :)

I know you are happy for us... the timing just could have been better.  ;)

It is kind of funny to watch the cats "follow" the sun.  As the sunshine moves, the cats move...until there is just a corner of sunshine.  That is the corner we are extending. 

Another income tax refund well spent!

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2014, 02:41:09 PM »
There are still some sites with their products for sale if you Google "Tick n Thistle Outdoor Cat Furniture."

But their FB account hasn't even been active since last year:

https://www.facebook.com/ticknthistle

I was mostly justing testing my Internet.  But thanks for the info! 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2014, 02:45:59 PM »
I got curious because I'd read about that company in one of the blogs somewhere around Christmas. I can't remember where now though, but the company name is one that's hard to forget. Ticks?
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2014, 08:38:23 PM »
We are still waiting for the arrival of the other section.  Had the same issue, with this company, before.  If someone else sold the exact thing... I wouldn't have ordered from them again. 

Also, if we had it to do over again... we would have a larger cat door.  One of these days, we will replace it.  The cats go in and out okay, but I think they would prefer a larger opening. 

Tags: cat enclosure 

'Hare