Author Topic: The Outside Dilemma  (Read 64013 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
The Outside Dilemma
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »
I just don't know what to do.  Taking the cats out into their fenced yard (they wear harnesses, even so) on a nice day is one of my biggest pleasures (and theirs too) but with Mazy cat's digestion problems, the regurgitation and all, the grass eating just makes it worse.  Instead of looking forward to it, and taking them out as often as I can, just like last year I find myself dreading it, and finding excuses to avoid it.

Last year I think they only got out six times the whole spring summer fall season.   It's just not right!

So I find myself wondering...perhaps the grass causes her so much trouble because her body isn't used to it?  If I took them out more, like two or three or more times a week, instead of once every two weeks, would it be better?  Or would it make things even worse?

Any opinions on that?

See the problem is, ironically, that even though Mazy cat's biggest digestive issue is regurgitation of her food, SHE NEVER BRINGS UP THE GRASS. And with her motility problems the grass causes her a lot of problems as it works it's way through her system.  Some times lodging in her stomach for days before she finally pukes it up (with a meal) or working it's way out, not showing up in her poop for five or six days.

I just don't know what to do.

Any thoughts?

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: The Outside Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 02:24:34 PM »
Without going through the entire explanation about Lucky and her grass eating issues...
We built our outside enclosure with a tile floor...no access to grass.  Is it possible for you to put down a blanket or something, in a sectioned off area? 

Even before the enclosure, when our Leonard was allowed to freely "roam" around in the backyard... supervised.  He never "lounged" in the grass.  He would roll around on the concrete patio though. 
I think it is the outside, in general, they like...not necessarily playing in the grass.  ??
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:28:56 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 02:32:55 PM »
Not really.  It's just a little yard with a fence. Grass growing everywhere. I WISH it was a concrete space, LOL!  Or..if I am wishing I guess I could just wish Mazy cat didn't eat grass.

Or wait, as far as wishes go why not just wish she didn't have this problem?

I've tried feeding her a meal before we go out, so her tummy will be full and she will either:

1) not want to eat the grass or

2) eat the grass then throw it all up since her tummy is already full.

I've tried feeding her a full meal of something I know she usually pukes up, as soon as we get back in the house so she will throw up the grass.

I've tried Slippery Elm Bark before we go out, so everything is coated and the grass will slide through easy, then more SEB when we come back in to help facilitate the process.

None of it works.  The grass gets eaten, and it gums up her insides for days.

I don't know if I can bear to not take them out.  Even today, they are waiting to be taken out.  They don't ask all winter, but they know, on a day like today, it's time to go out. They aren't fussing or anything, but still, it's a pleasure we all enjoy.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 02:34:02 PM »
Without going through the entire explanation about Lucky and her grass eating issues...
We built our outside enclosure with a tile floor...no access to grass.  Is it possible for you to put down a blanket or something, in a sectioned off area? 

Even before the enclosure, when our Leonard was allowed to freely "roam" around in the backyard... supervised.  He never "lounged" in the grass.  He would roll around on the concrete patio though. 
I think it is the outside, in general, they like...not necessarily playing in the grass.  ??

They have rugs spread out for lounging on.  But they still eat the grass.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »
If I remember correctly, I think you posted pictures once of where you live when you had gone for a walk in the woods.  I remember snow and a picture of one of the furkids in a window waiting for you.  I think there was a little porch with steps going down to the yard, is that correct?  If so, could you keep Mazy on the porch (blocked at the top or even bottom of the steps) while the others roam the yard?  That way they all get to go outside, but she can't get to the grass.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 02:45:01 PM »
Is building a paver-section out of some of these http://www.Walmart (sucks).com/search/search-ng.do?ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_query=pavers&Find=Find&search_constraint=0 from Walmart (sucks) (sucks) (sucks), lowes, home depot, etc., an option?

If you were to put a stake in the center, build around it, and keep her attached to the stake with a cable only long enough to reach the edge, but not long enough to reach and eat the grass at the edge, then you'd have the problem ended. You'd have to keep any grass that might grow up around the stake pulled out, but that would be it.

Start by placing the stake, then building around it so that only the stake area would have grass able to grow up through it. You wouldn't have to pour concrete between the pavers, just place them directly touching beside each other.

It could serve a dual purpose if you wanted and you could move a table and chairs on it  to picnic outside when friends come over.

Okay so you're going to have to remove the (sucks) from the link. BOL!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:46:53 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 02:57:58 PM »
Use this link, to a reputable company:  http://www.homedepot.com/s/pavers?NCNI-5   Bumpurr1

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 03:02:29 PM »
Use this link, to a reputable company:  http://www.homedepot.com/s/pavers?NCNI-5   Bumpurr1

LMAO! I chose walmart because everyone seems to have one of those nearby when we don't all have the others within an easy drive. Heck. I don't have anything in a really close drive anymore except the community Dollar General that everyone runs to for milk and eggs if they run out.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 05:15:34 PM »
You guys are so wonderful and helpful, please don't be mad at me!  I'm really not trying to find a solution to keep her away from the grass.  Mazy's biggest pleasure outside is to interact with me and the other cats in the yard. I can't take that away from her by isolating her upstairs on the porch (even if I could make it secure, more on this later) or tethering her in the yard (more on this also).  She wanders around checking on each of us periodically, drags her string behind her to entice Queen Eva to chase it, and also usually finds a way to work it so all three strings are intertwined at some point during the outing.

What I am looking for is a way to help her pass the grass through so it doesn't set up camp at her stomach to intestine opening (the same way the fur does)

Last summer I was using the Slippery Elm Bark, but it didn't seem to be helping much.  This year ...I'm thinking of trying the Vets-Best.  Yes, the psyllium (main ingredient) creates bulk, but..perhaps, along with the mucilage effect of the slippery elm and the digestive benefits of the marshmallow....

I've already started her on it, and it does seem to be helping with the copious hair ball trouble she has been having the past few weeks.

I know someone who swears by aloe and SEB as a syrup, but I just am not comfortable using aloe.

As for my porch, I like to sit out there and read on summer evenings, and for years I've been fantasizing about a way to make it cat proof so the cats could come out with me.  I don't think my landlord would mind if I built some kind of chicken wire panels, esp if they are removable, but...I don't have the energy and skills for that kind of handy work I used to have. Maybe this year....

As for tethering on tiles, I am absolutely adamantly against tethering cats at any time.  If something frightens Mazy, she runs straight to the door.  Imagine how awful it would be for her to be frightened and to run and not be able to get there.  No, I can't tether.

I'm sorry to be so...rejectful.  :-[

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
FIRST, you need to not apologize. 
Second...Different ideas work for different cats, people, and circumstances. 
All we can do is throw some ideas out there... and hope one is workable.  :)

Oh, I would go for the Vet's Best.  I swear by it.  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 01:27:38 PM »
I always appreciate the ideas, but always have that self conscious feeling about being a
 "Why Don't You -Yes But".

Mazy cat had been having a terrible time with fur, regurgitating almost every day.  I started her on 1/2 tablet of Vets-Best in her middle of the night meal (about .25 oz) and that is working like a dream, last regurgitation was April 2.

(Incidentally, the addition of the Vets-Best is along with her usual getting a whole capsule of egg yolk lecithin twice a day, 1/8 tsp of Slippery Elm Bark in a .5 oz meal once a day and the organic raw egg yolk twice a week). 

So today, first day out, I gave her a small meal, .2 oz, with a half V-B.  She ate her grass.  Back inside I gave her another .2 oz, this time with a whole V-B (with a little water, because of the psyllium)

Now we wait and see if this helps her push the grass through as it appears to be doing with the fur.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 01:41:32 PM »
I know what you mean about "yes, but..."   I also understand the need to over explain.  ;)  xxoo

Sure hope all goes well for Mazy today.  Paws crossed!

Do you still give her a small dose of Pepcid?  I THINK I remember you saying you don't, but I can't remember why.  Just curious. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2014, 01:49:39 PM »
Actually I don't think I had discussed the change in pepcid here yet.  Mazy has been on a pulse regimen, two weeks on, two weeks off, of pepcid for a little over a year. 

About three weeks ago when I began her two weeks on, a strange thing happened, two days out of the first three days she regurgitated the small meal and the pepcid. I actually didn't see it happen either time, it was so quick and quiet, I only knew because, on the fourth day of the week, before giving it to her, I found two small spots of vomited food with the intact pepcid sitting in it.

After finding those I decided her body was saying it didn't want/need this any more, so now I only give it as needed. For instance, when I go up to my mother's I am gone usually 9 hours.  I gave her one that day, but not with her first meal of the day (like I was before) but with the last meal she got right before I left the house.  Another time she was showing signs of feeling urpy after she had her egg you and I gave her a pepcid does and that stopped the urpy.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2014, 02:27:58 PM »
Thanks for the info. 
It doesn't happen very often, but... if Roxy goes longer than 8 hours, she regurgitates bile.  So, I wanted to have some Pepcid on hand, but wanted to be sure you still felt it was safe.   
Egg yolk would be the natural remedy? 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 02:46:24 PM »
The raw egg yolk, aside from the nutrition it supplies, is rich in choline, which improves motility.  Motility is Mazy cat's biggest problem. After that is acid build up if she goes too long with out food, or acid reflux which she gets some times for who knows what reason.

Tags: