Author Topic: Rescue Remedy  (Read 7029 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Rescue Remedy
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 05:01:28 AM »
If I remember correctly, I think Rescue Remedy is like catnip:  some cats respond to it, some don't.  If it helped Mazy, that's wonderful!   thumbsup1

I hope it helps for the vet trips.

Traitor...   Silly7

Hahaha!  We were both thrilled! Mazy will not tolerate her tummy touched.  She knows I would touch it and that is why she will show it to me.  But showing that trust when someone else is in the house, that's huge!

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 09:39:48 AM »
IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED IT WORKED!!!!!!!!

Mazy cat had her check up today.  I've been so stressed about this appointment, after what happened the last time, that I haven't slept all week.  Awful insomnia.

So...I gave her the usual amount of pre-breakfast meal, .45 oz, as usual split in two. The second serving, which I gave her one hour before the appointment, contained 4 drops of Rescue Remedy for pets.

Next I thoroughly wiped the inside of the carrier with a Feliway wipe. I hung a fresh towel over the heater to warm.  I went out, started the car to let it warm (it's frigid here) and squirted a spray of Feliway in the back seat.

Mazy growled a protest when I put her in the carrier, but did not fight or resist like she usually does. That was my first indication that the RR might be helping her.  She mewed most of the way there, but I think she does that to comfort herself.

Once at the vet, she allowed me to poke my finger in through the holes in the carrier door and she rubbed her face against my finger.  Usually I risk losing the finger if I poke it into the carrier.  She rubbed her face against my finger! That was the second improvement.

In the consultation room, after the vet finished sanitizing the stainless steel table/scale, I wiped it down with a Feliway wipe.  I also requested that both she (vet) and tech spray their hands and the front of their lab coats with Feliway, and they were happy to do it.

I lifted Mazy out of the carrier (the top comes off) and set her on the table to be weighed.  She was crouched but not trembling or shivering, usually she is shivering/trembling so hard it's visible. Improvement #3.

After the weight was recorded I lifted Mazy cat up and put her towel under her.  Then I stepped back, staying in Mazy's sight, and let the vet and tech do the handling.  Mazy growled a bit but there was no screaming, no biting, no spitting, no lashing of claws. She let the vet do everything, with the tech doing the handling, accepted it all with just warning growls now and then.  They took her to the back to draw blood.  I listened closely but heard no screaming. They brought her back and she was still calm.  Not purring or happy, but calm. Vet said she allowed the blood draw without trouble, just a bit of a growl, no screaming or biting.

It was INCREDIBLE!

I am so relieved that these efforts with the Rescue Remedy for pets and the Feliway wipes and Feliway spray has made this difference for her.  So relieved, I can't even express it, except in weepy tears, hahaha!

And the best part?  She is not drugged.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 10:28:54 AM »
That's WONDERFUL! I'm so glad you found a solution! I know how crazy it gets when you're dealing with phobias.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 06:46:49 PM »
Yay!!!!! 
Glad to hear the vet and tech were joyful about the situation as well.   
When do you get the blood test results?  What was the vet's perspective concerning Mazy's health and weight over all?
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 06:39:44 PM »
That is WONDERFUL!!!!  I am so glad the RR and Feliway helped Mazy cat be calm(er).  You must be so relieved to have that over with.  How did Mazy do when you got her home?  Was she ok with the meals that immediately followed?

Yay, Mazy!  multistars multistars multistars
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 01:25:41 PM »
Was she ok with the meals that immediately followed?

I'm curious also.  :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 03:54:13 PM »
Hi!  So sorry to leave you guys hanging!  Lab work is great, I just found out!  Cholesterol still high, but vet isn't worried, and we don't really have any explanation for it.  Jennie's is always high too.  Queen Eva hasn't had bloods since she was spayed so I don't know about her, meaning if it has something to do with diet or the EYL.  I'll be getting a copy of the blood work to study myself.

When we got home from the vet all was well.  Mazy had her breakfast and then settled down in a favorite bed (a universal bed, not an exclusive) for a bath and a nap.  A delivery truck came, thumped a box on my stoop, pounded on the door and left.  Mazy looked up, listened, then went back to her bath.  This was a HUGE thing.  Mazy usually runs to her safe spot if she even hear's the delivery truck stop outside. So that was an added benefit of the Rescue Remedy.

Something that occurred to me later, that would be attributed to the Feliway wiped carrier...usually when someone comes home from the vet there is hissing (Jennie-Jennie) and Nursey-fussing (Queen Eva) while Mazy tries to avoid them both. We had NONE of that this time.  Sooo..I think the Feliway smell must have lingered on Mazy cat's fur, canceling out the vet smells.

Final bananamiddlechild :  No extra puking.  The first time I gave her the RR, remember, she had three out of four days with a regurgitation, and I thought maybe it was from the RR. Nothing this time, in fact she seems to have broken thourgh that 4 day cycle, also, because we're on day 6 now.

Someone suggested I should give Mazy the RR every day, that if it reduces her stress so well, it might help with her digestive issues.  I am reluctant.  What do you all think?  I suppose I could rub a little into her ear flap every day but...even though it does keep her calm....still...if she's on something, even something as non-invasive as flower essences, she's not HER, if you know what I mean.

I am interested in your opinions on this.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 04:13:09 PM »
Someone suggested I should give Mazy the RR every day, that if it reduces her stress so well, it might help with her digestive issues.  I am reluctant.  What do you all think?  I suppose I could rub a little into her ear flap every day but...even though it does keep her calm....still...if she's on something, even something as non-invasive as flower essences, she's not HER, if you know what I mean.

I am interested in your opinions on this.

Her digestive issues aren't necessarily the result of stress, though stress is possibly a factor.  You would know better than I about that.  But I share your concern about . . . basically keeping her "medicated," so to speak, and I understand what you mean about it being "not her."  And I wonder if frequent use would make the RR lose it's effectiveness over time, but I don't know.

In and of itself, I think RR is safe to use.  I'm just not sure about using it daily.  If you're hesitant, then listen to your gut -- it's telling you something, and it sounds to me like it's saying "no."  And that's ok.   :)  The (really) good news is now you know what to do to keep her stress down when it's time to see The Vet (shudder).   :)

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 04:33:52 PM »
Thanks Pookie, those are my thoughts, exactly. I am going to keep it for vet trips or other stressful events.  Her life is pretty low stress, just me and the cats most of the time, unless you count Queen Eva's goosing her a stressful event.  funny2

(It just happened which is what made me think of it)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 12:30:07 PM »
Her life is pretty low stress, just me and the cats most of the time, unless you count Queen Eva's goosing her a stressful event.  funny2

(It just happened which is what made me think of it)

Was that payback for Mazy cat beating Queen Eva to the hammock while the Queen was setting up The Perfect Pounce?   funny2

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 04:49:01 PM »
I tried it with Jenkins... when I wanted to catch him and take him to the vet.  It slowed him down, but not slow enough for me to make the catch.  I think I will buy it again (for other reasons, than Jenkins), after reading about your experience.  Thanks! 

Tags: