Author Topic: Stella & Chewys Cat And Dog Food Recall  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Stella & Chewys Cat And Dog Food Recall
« on: July 06, 2015, 07:16:55 AM »
July 4, 2015 — Stella & Chewy’s of Oak Creek, Wisconsin, today announced it is voluntarily recalling a number of both frozen and freeze-dried products due to possible exposure to other foods contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes bacteria.

On July 2, Stella and Chewy’s was notified by the Maryland Department of Agriculture that it had issued a stop sale order on a single lot of Chewy’s Chicken Freeze-Dried Dinner Patties for Dogs.
And according to the company, there have been “no reported pet or human illnesses associated with this recall”.
However, as a precautionary measure, the Stella and Chewy’s has decided to voluntarily recall all products from Lot # 111-15 (listed above).
And even though they have not tested positive for Listeria, the company is also recalling a number of products that may have been exposed to the affected lot.

List of recalled items: http://www.stellaandchewys.com/stella-chewys-recall-notice/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:26:43 AM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Stella & Chewys Cat And Dog Food Recall
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 09:22:14 AM »
I recently purchased several large bags.  I was getting around to finding out if I could make it in advance and freeze it.  All the bags are on the recall list. 
I've contacted www.OnlyNaturalPet.com to find out what I have to do to return it.  I am a bit bummed that Only Natural Pet didn't send a recall notice.  In the past, other online companies have. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 03:33:49 PM »
You know. I never know what to think of ANY online, pet business anymore. Just can't figure most of them out.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 04:45:42 PM »
In my opinion S&C is getting too successful for Big Pet Food's comfort. They use HPP.  Which kills listeria.  And why listeria? Where did it come from, all of a sudden? I smell a rat. Cynical maybe? Maybe not.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 05:20:05 PM »
In my opinion S&C is getting too successful for Big Pet Food's comfort. They use HPP.  Which kills listeria.  And why listeria? Where did it come from, all of a sudden? I smell a rat. Cynical maybe? Maybe not.

I saw something once that said, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."  So you may very well be right.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 05:22:51 PM »
If it helps any...

Q:  Does High Pressure Processing (HPP) eliminate the risk of Listeria?

Yes, scientific studies show that HPP inactivates Listeria. We’re in the process of working with a third-party expert to identify how the organism had entered our post-HPP production area.

Q:        What is Stella & Chewy’s doing to correct the situation?

As a precautionary measure, we have issued a voluntary recall of the entire affected lot as well as additional product that could have been exposed to the affected lot, and we are working collaboratively with the FDA to further investigate and address the situation. Furthermore, we’re in the process of working with a third-party expert to conduct a root cause analysis and identify how the organism had entered our post-HPP production area.

Q:        How did the Listeria contamination occur?

Listeria monocytogenes is widespread and ubiquitous in the environment in which we live. It can be isolated readily from healthy domestic pets where it rarely causes illness. Additionally, it can be found in many food processing environments and the home. The organism is found in a wide variety of raw agricultural products including lettuce, spinach, fresh vegetables, fruits, raw meat, poultry and fish. We’re in the process of working with a third party expert to identify how the organism had entered our post-HPP production area.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 05:27:06 PM »

I saw something once that said, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."  So you may very well be right.

Y'all aren't the only ones thinking something is fishy. Please see this post: http://parenting-furkids.com/index.php?topic=3697.0

Edit--read this: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/Products/AnimalFoodFeeds/Contaminants/ucm449501.htm
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:43:00 PM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 09:08:15 AM »

Good point!  HOW did it enter the production area AFTER the HPP process?  I hope the third party they hired to investigate, finds some answers. 

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 12:17:24 PM »
Here's more about the way things are reportedly being handled improperly when the FDA takes its samples:

http://www.keepthetailwagging.com/how-this-witch-hunt-impacts-my-life-as-a-raw-feeder/?utm_source=KTTW+Newsletter+-+Weekly&utm_campaign=e13d77efac-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_cdea46391f-e13d77efac-87873129

From multiple sources – all unrelated – I’ve been told FDA has on previous inspections…

Reused sample containers (that had held previous pet food samples);

Not worn sterile gloves when taking samples;

Punctured packaging to obtain samples (instead of properly opening the product);

Sample obtaining tool not sterilized between use (tool used to remove a pet food sample from each pet food was not washed or sterilized in between each sample taken).

Susan Thixton advises pet store owners to “have your cell phone camera ready” and document…

how the samples are taken,

how the store and employees are treated,

and how professionally (or unprofessionally) the representative behaves.