Author Topic: Is there a way to prevent an image from being stolen?  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Is there a way to prevent an image from being stolen?
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:45:24 AM »
I keep being told, over and over, that it's an absolute MUST to have your picture on LinkedIn if you're looking for a job.  Apparently, recruiters are 7 times more likely to look at someone's profile if it has a picture.  Otherwise they think you're hiding something (which sounds bogus to me).

I don't like it, for a lot of reasons.  I'm not on social media other than here and LinkedIn, and the only reason I'm on LinkedIn is because everyone told me, when I knew I 'd be out of work, that I HAD to be on LinkedIn to find a job.  But I don't put my face out there.  I prefer my privacy, and frankly, unless I'm looking for a modeling job or sales job (attractive people sell more), my appearance is not relevant to my skills, experience or ability to do the job.  But I digress.

I'm considering that I may have to put my photo on LI but I'm asking you tech-savvy folks out there, is there a way I can do it so that either no one else can copy/steal my photo, or that if they do, it's obvious that it was copied/stolen.  I was thinking of adding a watermark to it somehow, but I don't want it to show up on LI, I would want it to show up in the copied/stolen image.  Or is there just no way of preventing a photo from being stolen?

I just don't want to see my face somewhere else, and once you put something in the internet, it's there forever.  And LinkedIn "owns" whatever you put on there.

Any suggestions on how to protect my image?

Thanks in advance!
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Is there a way to prevent an image from being stolen?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 11:07:51 AM »
I saved these directions for Photoshop a long time ago. You can end up with glass looking watermark if you do it right, but I'm sorry--I don't know any way outside of Photoshop to do this. Maybe some settings in other photo programs would do the same. This will at least give you an idea of some sort.

Photoshop can't be bought out and out anymore. You have to rent it each month http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop.html

Directions:

Fast way to make a nice looking watermark in photoshop. I have version CS5. Don't know if it's different in other versions. Don't remember where I read this but it works really well.

1 Open your photo
2 Select text tool
3 Type the wording you want ( start with arial bold - color white)
4 While on the text layer go to Menu, Layer, Layer Style, Bevel and Emboss. Brings up a new panel "Bevel and Emboss"
5 Tweak the settings

Style = Emboss

Technique = Smooth

Depth = 91%

Direction = up, size 9px, soften = 0 (can be tweaked later)

Shading = angle 30, use global light checked & 30

Highlight Mode = screen

Opacity = 95%

Shadow Mode = multiply

Opacity = 75%

CLICK OK

Now go to text layer in the layer palette and adjust the FILL Button down to zero. (this will knock out the white color)
Now you can play with the opacity to get the effect you want and you can also go to the text layer (bevel and emboss) double click and tweak the adjustments while previewing.
Dont be afraid to change the settings to get the effect you want.

I adjusted the one in the photo attached a little higher than I would normally do because it is a low resolution file and I wanted you to see the effect. Once you get the effect you want you can save the photo and call it watermark so you can later go in and copy and paste it from one photo to another. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:09:47 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 02:23:52 PM »
I adjusted the one in the photo attached ....

?

What about an older picture?  Not 20 years ago old, but not this week recent.  Or a picture that is "soft."  Soft as in not blurred, but more like brushed.  I can't think of the word right now.  Photographers sometimes use the feature for older folks.  Picture still looks like the person, but not as sharp... wrinkles and such are less obvious. 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 02:39:12 PM »
?

What about an older picture?  Not 20 years ago old, but not this week recent.  Or a picture that is "soft."  Soft as in not blurred, but more like brushed.  I can't think of the word right now.  Photographers sometimes use the feature for older folks.  Picture still looks like the person, but not as sharp... wrinkles and such are less obvious. 

Fotor does that airbrush look: https://www.fotor.com/features/wrinkle.html
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 05:17:08 PM »
Fotor does that airbrush look: https://www.fotor.com/features/wrinkle.html

I was thinking of something a little more blurry.... lack of a better word. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 07:25:57 PM »
Dee..I don't see an attachment?

Pookie.  I understand your reluctance.  I wouldn't do it either.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 07:27:56 PM »
Dee..I don't see an attachment?

There's not an attachment. It's just directions for adding that type of watermark in Photoshop. I saved the directions years ago.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 07:30:38 PM »

I think I've figured out what you mean. Lower the pixels so that it looks like an old-fashioned scan used to do.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 07:37:45 PM »
There's not an attachment. It's just directions for adding that type of watermark in Photoshop. I saved the directions years ago.

Welllllll, you did say...
I adjusted the one in the photo attached ....
   Silly7

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 07:39:41 PM »
Welllllll, you did say... "I adjusted the one in the photo attached ..."

LOL. No. That's what the directions say, and I didn't save the photo from the one that gave those directions.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 10:52:03 PM »
Thanks, everyone.  Yeah, the "attachment" part confused me, too.   :)

I don't mean to sound cranky, but I'm not willing to pay for Photoshop.  It amazes me how much money you're expected to spend when looking for a job.  I can pay a photographer to do a headshot, I'm supposed to have business cards (got them from Staples for $10), etc.  I don't like the idea of putting my picture out there to begin with, so I'm certainly not going to pay a photographer, or for software just to try to keep my image from showing up somewhere else.  I wasn't even sure if there was a way to protect the photo, but this is helpful to know.  I did find out that my laptop has a built-in camera (I actually have something taped over it), so I can use that to take my picture (my cell is voice only and I don't think it can do selfies, anyway).  But I'm just not comfortable with it.

It also saddens me how many "sheep" are out there that have no problem with this "requirement" of having a picture on there.  But that's a whole other rant.

What about an older picture?  Not 20 years ago old, but not this week recent. 

I don't really have any.  I don't like getting my picture taken unless with family, and we haven't taken pics in a while.  The LI photo is supposed to show me in business clothes (at least up top), somewhat recent and looking like a professional.  A family pic would be something for Facebook and I don't think cropping any of the family pics would look very good.  Plus, my appearance may have changed a bit since then.

Pookie.  I understand your reluctance.  I wouldn't do it either.

Believe me, I'd rather not.  It's hard to ignore people who tell you that you MUST have a pic on LI or recruiters won't look at you.  I had one person say she won't connect with someone who's profile doesn't have a pic, unless she knows them, because they're "not playing by the rules."  What I want to know is:  who's making up these "rules?" ???

Do you mean like the black and white photos of celebrities back in the 30's and 40's?  There was a kind of . . . soft edge to their faces, etc.  Not sharp and crisp.  I tried to find an image but all of the ones I found were the "sharp/crisp" variety.

This is close to what I mean:

http://crazywebsite.com/Free-Galleries-01/Girls/Photos_WWII_Vintage_Pinups-3/classic_sexy_Yank_pinup_girl_Hayward_Susan-2LGEX.jpg
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Tags: