Author Topic: Roxy's Vet Visit Today  (Read 6136 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Roxy's Vet Visit Today
« on: August 16, 2017, 01:34:57 AM »
I merged this topic with my thread asking about vaccinations for Roxy.  Since I kinda merged them with my yapping anyway.   Silly7

We have a house guest. She had some of her stuff wrapped in those plastic grocery sacks.  Roxy ate quite a large amount of plastic yesterday.  In the past, Roxy would normally bring up the plastic rather quickly.  The guest said that she cleaned up a plastic barf.  I understand she had the best of intentions, BUT I wish I could have seen it for myself.  Also, I learned all this after the fact... after I mentioned that Roxy seemed to be acting a little "off."  I thought maybe she was less then thrilled with having a guest in the house.  After hearing about the eating of plastic, I wondered if she did bring it all back up.

She was eating normally.  I always ASSuME if a cat is eating... nothing horrific is going on.  I have no idea if that is a correct assumption, or just something I made up in my mind. 

Normally, there are two litter boxes in the guest room.  I didn't want to change things up to much and upset the cats, so I moved only one box into the living room.  Roxy is very private when it comes to doing her business.  However, today she got into the box in the living room, where myself and the guest were sitting.  Sooooo not her!  I watched.  She struggled for a very long time.  Nothing.  She left the litter box and was walking VERY odd.  She also threw up her lunch that was fed about 15 minutes earlier.  The eating of plastic came to my mind.  Blockage.  I called the vet. 

While on the phone with the vet office, Roxy pooped on the kitchen floor.  It was one huge round piece.  I put it in a plastic baggie and took it with me.  The poo didn't have plastic in it.  It was all fur. 

No blockage.  Not full of poo.  This and that all looked good.  Vitals and such all good.  Weight is 9 lbs..perfect!  Took blood for a senior panel. 

Vet suggested we add Miralax to her diet for a few days. 

We don't have the results of the blood tests yet, of course.  I am thrilled that everything else checked out, but...What the heck happened??!!  Massive furball?  Not fond of house guest? Plastic slowed things down or backed things up?

She played before dinner. Ate a good dinner.  She is asleep now, but was back to acting happy and energetic... totally her normal self. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 03:28:40 PM by Lola »
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Re: Roxy's Vet Visit Today
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 05:01:46 AM »
Did she have an x ray to check for plastic in her stomach and intestines?  I am assuming since you said none was seen, but just wanted it spelled out for my own peace of mind.

How awful!  The straining could have been due to the round poop.  When cats get a round stool they have  a terrible time passing it, because it can't be pushed through, it spins, instead of moving through.

Mazy cat had that problem one night, it was awful.  She was growling and screaming trying to pass that ball of poop.

Is there any concern about toxicity? 

Why miralax?  I'd be more inclined to add a little psyllium (to coat any remaining plastic) or if you are sure there's no more of that, increase her fat intake.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 07:21:22 AM »
Wow, sounds scary!  I'm glad you got her checked out and everything came back normal.  I'm especially glad she's back to her normal self.  As to what happened . . . it could be any of the things you mentioned, or a combination.  I suspect MC's right about her struggling to pass that fur-poop being a big issue.

I also agree with MC about using psyllium instead of Miralax.  From WebMD (http://www.webmd.com/children/news/20150106/laxative-ingredient-investigated):

Polyethylene glycol 3350 (PEG 3350) is the active ingredient in Miralax
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:30:36 AM »
Maybe she wasn't happy with the changes in the house and held her poop so long that she made herself constipated? It's not unheard of with all kinds of mammals.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 03:04:28 PM »
I forgot to mention that we went to "old" vet.  I guess I should call him "back-up" vet, since we end up there a lot. 
No, he didn't do x-rays.  Damn... wish I had thought of that!  He would have done it, if I had asked.  He put Roxy in all kinds of positions physically and poked and felt all around...said he couldn't feel any obstructions. 
I don't know what the technical term is, but he also invaded her personal space ... from the backend.  From that is when he told me that she wasn't full of poop.
She didn't have enough urine in her bladder, to do a urinalysis.  That is going to be done later.
Since she was already being put through the ringer physically, I had him check her teeth.  She is scheduled for a dental Sept. 1.  She hasn't had a dental since her kibble eating days.  She has a few issues.  I do prefer him for dentals, because he has the training.  No worries about him not giving IVs during the procedure.  He takes x-rays.  He doesn't do anesthesia free dentals... or whatever they are called, that seems to be the newest thing. 

This is the vet that I had "issues" with concerning raw feeding.  He was open to raw, and then wasn't.  However, Roxy's diet came up in conversation.  Some of the things he said... sounded like he watched PetFooled! 
He leans more towards homemade cooked meals, rather then raw.  BUT he was a LOT less "pro" commercial food. He mentioned he was still learning in his old age.  He has been a vet for 30+ years. 
I WISH I could remember his exact words... but he mentioned the source of nutritional training/info for vets being... not so good or one-sided.  <---- That is where I wish I could remember his exact words.  He then said he was working on being more open-minded, and less dependent on the info provided from the Big Boys. 

I want to get excited, but I also don't.  He and I have been down this path before.  Not the exact path, but similar. 
The good thing is he has a LOT of history/records concerning my furkids.  I have been feeding raw for years now.  There might be info in their records, that will help convince him commercial diets are carp.  He was definitely impressed with Roxy's physical appearance... skin, coat, weight, etc.

Back to the toxicity question.  I assume you meant the guest having something available.  I really don't think so.  Roxy knows when plastic is available.  No exaggeration... she can be ASLEEP at the other end of the house when I am scooping, and know I set the bag down in another room!  I have to be THAT careful.  She went into that room for the plastic.  She has no desire to mingle with guests... and hasn't. 

I feel confident that her issue was the huge poop...fur build up, eating of the plastic probably ticked off her system, and the stress of a guest.  If you remember, Roxy was my chronic barfer.  Her body is VERY sensitive... lack of a better word...even today.  She is the reason I feed 3 times a day.  If a meal is late... she will OFTEN (not always, but more often then not) bring up bile.  She will still barf food on occasion. 
Bone has to be ground into smithereens, or she will pick it out and/or bring the meal back up.  If she picks out the bone, her meal is less than ideally balanced.  For most, it wouldn't matter.  The next meal, being different, would make up for any possible deficient.  But things don't work that way for Roxy.  She is the exception to every rule!
She decides what proteins are fed.  She often decides the source of a particular protein.  I say "she" because if something doesn't work for Roxy, changes are made for everyone.  I could have an entire thread about Roxy. 
One of the reasons I reallllly don't like to make changes to a system that works.  However, sometimes changes have to be made.  Sometimes changes go well... sometimes not.  And that is how I learn what Roxy can or can't tolerate. 
My point is... it takes very little to rock Roxy's world.

I didn't have a good feeling about the vet recommending Miralax either.  I am giving it to her because I could pick it up at the store right away. What exact brand of psyllium do you (MC) give yours and how much.  I'll order it today. 

Speaking of Roxy, she just came in the room to let me know lunch time is nearing...I've been on the computer long enough.  :)  Yap at ya all later! 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:57:27 AM by Lola, Reason: added in a word for clarification :) »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 03:50:53 PM »
Good news about the vet.

No I meant toxicity of the plastic.  Plastic garbage bags, not being thought to ever be ingested or even used for food storage,  can contain toxic chemicals.

That she heaved it all back up, if there was anything, hopefully it wasn't in long enough to cause any damage.  The blood work will show if there was.

Thanks for the little Roxy bio.  Now reading it, I remember those things about her.

I keep Konsyl brand psyllium in the house.  It is a pure brand. Just psyllium, no fillers flavors or sweeteners. When I use it for something like a cat ingesting something and it may need help to pass, I use 1/4 teaspoon mixed in a very soupy meal.

I don't use it for constipation because it is bulk forming and so counterproductive in cats.  I increase fat or egg yolk for constipation.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 11:53:25 AM »
I think I will check out the egg yolk powder from FoodFurLife.  Not the same as real egg yolk... I know... but it would be better then no egg yolk.  I prefer something as natural as possible.
I THINK it would be good for all the furkids... to keep things running smoothly for the ones that may need it, but not affect anything for the ones that don't.  ??  I ask because the less variables from one cat to another... less chance of error.  6 cats and one dog... we need things to be simple. :-[

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 11:55:30 AM »
It should be fine, IMO.  I don't think the lecithin (from the egg yolk) will cause any problems.  MC knows more about it than I do, but I think it's safe to add to their food.  Just my 2cents.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 05:40:58 PM »
Not the same as real egg yolk... I know

Food Fur Life IS real egg yolk! :)   It's pure dried egg yolk.  Nothing else. Both these women feed their cats with their own products.  They developed these products because they wanted to feed their cats (and one dog) the best they could do.  They do not compromise on quality.

I think Carolina doesn't use egg yolk lecithin at all any more.  Just FFL egg yolk.  And she has four great big furry, very furry, cats ( four of them are rescued....I forget the breed. Maybe ragdoll, but not sure that's right), and one short hair kitty, (not so big)

She also has a little dog

Laurie does still use EYL for some of her motility challenged cats.  I think she has 14 now all rescued ferals.

The only reason I don't use it is because I don't need to.  Mazy cat eats 1/4 boiled egg yolk every night at bed time and likes it.  She had to learn to like it but she did learn.  Jennie and Queen Eva both love their raw egg yolk on Sundays. I don't want to take that away from them, though there is no doubt that a smaller amount of yolk daily is more beneficial than a larger amount once or twice a week.

The benefit of dried egg yolk is it can be given daily and lasts much longer than a fresh or boiled egg.

In addition egg yolk is very nutritious and can only benefit..unless a cat is sensitive to eggs, of course.

They are starting to distribute in a few retail stores (brick and mortar type as the saying goes) now.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 10:26:37 PM »
Food Fur Life IS real egg yolk! :)   It's pure dried egg yolk.

I meant "real" as in not dried.  The yolk from an egg one gets out of their refrigerator.   Silly7  I'm good with the dried form. 

The benefit of dried egg yolk is it can be given daily and lasts much longer than a fresh or boiled egg.

thumbsup1  I REALLY like easy! 

They are starting to distribute in a few retail stores (brick and mortar type as the saying goes) now.

Awesome! 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 01:10:58 PM »
Finally ordered the egg yolk powder today.  :)

Roxy has her dental tomorrow.  One tooth is really yucky and will be extracted.  :(

As far as her bloodwork... the vet is a little concerned about her thyroid numbers.  He said to just keep an eye on her weight and eating habits.  I will hopefully remember to ask for a copy of the results tomorrow... and then get a second/third/etc opinion from you all.  :) 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 01:21:09 PM by Lola »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 04:52:26 PM »
I will hopefully remember to ask for a copy of the results tomorrow... and then get a second/third/etc opinion from you all.  :) 

If you write yourself a note and put it in your purse or attach it to the carrier, would that help you to remember?  Just a suggestion.

Crossing paws for Roxy!   fingerscrossed

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 09:08:14 PM »
They should be able to just email them to you in a pdf. Here's a shot of part of my desktop)

All paws crossed for Roxy tomorrow!

20% of your purchase price will have gone toward Harvey victims (animals I mean)  Hug1 Hug1

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 08:14:41 AM »
Last time I asked for test results via email, the front desk lady DID send them... but added the comment, "We don't read email very often."  She has worked there a loooooong time, but isn't a very pleasant person.  I wanted to reply back, "Then remove the email option from the website." 

I have my note attached to the carrier I will be using for Roxy. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 09:05:12 AM »
Last time I asked for test results via email, the front desk lady DID send them... but added the comment, "We don't read email very often."  She has worked there a loooooong time, but isn't a very pleasant person.  I wanted to reply back, "Then remove the email option from the website." 

I have my note attached to the carrier I will be using for Roxy. 

....sigh....

All paws crossed for Roxy! let us know when she's out!

Tags: