Author Topic: Who feeds raw pork?  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
Who feeds raw pork?
« on: February 10, 2018, 08:42:54 AM »
I finally bought some pork. But I am afraid to use it!  In the Raw for IBD group pork is recommended all the time. Many people feed it.  Some feed it exclusivity.  I have a friend in the UK who does.

But I can't shake all the old fears about pork.

I bought a pack of mixed chops.  I made bone broth for Jennie out of the bones and cut up the meat into meal sized portions, all froze and bagged now.

The broth came out almost solid! I'd never made it from anything but poultry bones before, which I usually get a nice aspic from, but never anything this solid. I picked out all the meat bits after straining the broth, and both Jennie and Queen Eva go nuts over that.  But those are well cooked.

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Who feeds raw pork?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 08:50:25 AM »
I'm with you on the can't get over the fear thing.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 08:53:11 AM »
Since I know the weight of them raw.  I could just pop them in the sauce pot with a little water for a quick poach on the days I feed them.  I'd still be able to use the EZcomplete, since I have the raw weight.

At least it would add another protein.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »
I feed raw pork to the cats.  I also fed it to Lacy dog.  Have for a long time now.  On average, they eat it once a week.

Are you afraid of Trichinosis?  I was, until I read info like this...

The United States has averaged only about 12-20 cases per year in the last two decades. However, there are outbreaks that occur sporadically in the world when meat (especially pork) is improperly cooked or is contaminated with undercooked or raw wild-game meat.

I am pretty sure I also read that there hasn't been a case in the US in 20 years or something.... it was a long time. 

I figured the odds were in my pets' favor.  Think of all the carp that goes wrong in commercial pet food...

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Catgirl64

• Chatter Bug
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 03:49:11 PM »
I feed it.  As I've mentioned before, I had a couple of dogs I fed raw maybe 10 years ago.  I often fed them pork, and smaller ribs were greatly enjoyed.  I didn't really have any fears about offering it to everyone this time around.  I consider it one of the "workhorses" in my rotation.  One thing you do need to look out for is vacuum packed roasts, which often have additives.  Other than that, I would say give it a shot. 

I kind of agree with Lola that overall, pork is much safer today than it once was.  Even when I cook chops for J and I, I leave them pink in the middle. 

Offline Middle Child

• Motor Mouth
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »
Thanks all. Forgot about this thread. Yes I read over and over that pork is safe now and can even be eaten rare by humans (145 F temp)

I'll be updating, with Jennie's thread, but she is getting raw pork tonight.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 11:33:06 AM »

I'll be updating, with Jennie's thread, but she is getting raw pork tonight.

Welcome to the dark side...   Silly7

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: