Author Topic: Misa - Learning To Trust Humans  (Read 2431 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Misa - Learning To Trust Humans
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 10:36:19 AM »
I think it's D.A.P. and see if either or both work.  My first choice would be the Rescue Remedy, since you're not using a diffuser that everyone else will smell, even if it's just a small area. 

They renamed it a few years ago. Not sure why. These are them:

https://www.entirelypets.com/pheromones.html#dog
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 10:49:20 AM »
I did the smelly collar once, for Sparky dog.  STINKY!  Had to toss it.
The reason I was looking at Jackson Galaxy's stuff is because a lot of it is "rub" on, rather then eat or put in water.
I guess I'll just go with the Rescue Remedy... something I already have experience with using.
Thanks all for your input.
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 12:32:31 PM »
I did the smelly collar once, for Sparky dog.  STINKY!  Had to toss it.

That Calming Collar you did worked great for us, but it died too fast. It's not like other things I've used where it was spaced out over the year whenever we needed it. It was constantly losing its smell, so I gave up on those. I just won't spend $120 a year when it's needed for only about 15-20 times a year MAYBE. I was keeping it bagged and sealed too.

The pheromone diffuser and spray in that link I gave have no scent--at least not to humans. I just don't know about the collars. I KNOW the pheromone collar of the Sentry brand stinks. Perfume-y stinks. Not natural like those cloth, herbal collars that I liked.  I was desperate though b/c when I got to Petco, they didn't have any K10plus. So we got the Sentry for Barkly to go with the calming chews, since I didn't know if the chews worked. The Sentry was thrown out after that night.

I learned my lesson that year. I've been getting prepared for July a month before it now.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2018, 12:53:30 PM »
I tried the K10plus with Lacy.  Didn't phase her.  Like most of the calming things... works for some, and not for others.

I might be "reading" more into the situation, then what is actually going on.  Normally, Misa just goes from door to door... non-stop, hoping we will let her outside.  Today that behavior was short.

Today's "stress." 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 12:56:41 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2018, 06:29:05 PM »
Awww...I wonder if she's looking for someone. Waiting to be collected.  I forget..was she found as a stray? Abandoned at the shelter?  What's her story?

If that is what is happening with her, hopefully in time she will forget, because her new family is giving her all she needs.

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2018, 10:09:10 PM »
From those photos, she seems to be adjusting.  Since she was a street dog (if I remember correctly), my guess is she'll probably always feel a little more comfortable outside than in, but she looked pretty calm in those pics.  As long as she can see outside to see what's going on, in time that maybe enough (along with going out to "do her business).

It did occur to me the other night, and you probably already do this, maybe talk to her?  Something calming like, we're your new family now, and we're going to take good care of you.  You're welcome here and we're so glad you're here.  You're safe here."  You get the idea.  And whatever the message, just keep repeating it.

Just a thought.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2018, 11:25:34 PM »
Yes, Misa was a street dog for 3 years, before being rescued.  She spent a year with the rescue family.  She adjusted well living with humans... as long as the faces didn't change.  New human faces, brings out the street dog personality in her. 

The pictures are actually a success story. 

She first spent some time going from door to door, hoping to be let outside.  She eventually relaxed in front of a door.  Relaxed even further to not have to face the door, to be comfortable.  Relaxed even more...to the point of taking a short nap.  That was a HUGE accomplishment!

Originally she only relaxed in the house, when leashed...with one of us on the other end.  She knew what was expected.  We moved on to her being leashed... and us not on the other end.  When she was good with that, we took off the leash.  Off leash... she gets to make her own decisions... and it is tough for her.  So, she wants outside... her comfort zone. 

She has made soooooo much progress, in the short time she has been with us.
Getting her comfortable inside... off leash, is what we have been working on the last two days.  Today she reached a milestone.  That was the reason for the pictures.  She still has a long way to go, but she did make progress!

We interact and talk to her... a lot. She listens and responds too...Wagging of the tail, facial expressions, ear movement, etc.  It is difficult to explain, but I know that she likes us...and trusts us more each day!  Some day she will love us, as much as we love her.  Baby steps.  :)

Something as simple as...
In the beginning, when inside, she wanted to be in her crate... with the door shut.  How did we know she wanted the door shut?  She would whine.  When we shut the door, you could see her physically relax. 
She advanced to being in her crate... door open. 
Next step... being okay with being free in the house, and only going into her crate at night. 

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2018, 12:00:31 AM »
One more comment. 
People have asked why we don't leave her in the backyard, if that is her comfort zone.  The yard is her comfort zone, but only for right now.  She WANTS to be with us.  She WANTS to be petted and loved.  We can see it in her body language.  She just needs a little help... and time. 

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2018, 07:11:43 AM »
I am so thrilled for you, and Misa, that she is making such quick progress.  I'm not sure I would be inclined to mess with it with anything, even Rescue Remedy, at the point. xx

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »
Re:  Misa's progress:

multistars dancingbanana multistars dancingbanana multistars dancingbanana multistars dancingbanana multistars

And to you and hubby:

DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy DrLisaPiersonWorthy

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2018, 04:13:45 PM »
OH MY GOSH.... the dog hair!  One nervous dog sheds more hair then 6 cats combined.  I ALMOST wish our entire home wasn't all tile... at least I would see it less.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2018, 04:15:39 PM »
 funny2

Time for a roomba?

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2018, 07:31:34 PM »

Offline Lola

• Administrator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
    • Parenting Furkids
Re: Misa Update
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2018, 01:57:29 PM »
When I get home from work in the mornings, I am greeted with tail wags and .... not sure how one would describe it... she makes a whining type of  sound.

If she is inside (hubby brings her inside, if he goes to work before I get home), I assume she wants to go outside.  I let her out.

However the last few days, I have made it home while hubby is still at home.  Misa is outside.  She has been at the sliding backdoor.... tail wagging and making the whining sound.  Hmmmmm, what is going on? 

I open the door to let her in.  She runs off.  Okay, so she doesn't want inside.

She has already had her breakfast... so that isn't it. 

I go outside and talk to her.  She slowly makes her way over to me.  I talk to her some more and give her lots of pets.

It hits me...She IS greeting me!!! Not only is she trusting me more and more each day, she LIKES me!   :D

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2018, 03:40:31 PM »
love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1 love1

Tags:

'Hare