Author Topic: Help -unwanted app?  (Read 2904 times)

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
Re: Help -unwanted app?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 08:49:49 PM »
Chrome and Chromium are 2 different things.

Chrome is a legitimate browser, and Chromium, and all it's little little add-ons are malware-browser products. Chrominio message center was citing a new upgrade in Chromium.

She got Chromium and it's garbage by installing something else and not noticing that they were installing Chromium at the same time. It's sucking down her computer memory when it runs, and it never stops running.

When I got it, it wasn't easy to get rid of, and I even tried setting my computer back to a former restore point.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 09:33:36 AM by DeeDee »
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 04:38:21 AM »
Thanks you guys.  The program mentioned most often in all I read was malwarebytes and having used that once before years ago, I used it last night, the free version, and it found 73 things and got rid of them and now it appears to be gone.

Is a program like malwarebytes meant to replace virus protection or run concurrently?

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2018, 09:32:39 AM »
Thanks you guys.  The program mentioned most often in all I read was malwarebytes and having used that once before years ago, I used it last night, the free version, and it found 73 things and got rid of them and now it appears to be gone.

Is a program like malwarebytes meant to replace virus protection or run concurrently?

It's supposed to be able to work with your virus and firewall, but I'm not so sure about getting the premium and having all that "real time protection" running along with Avira (my virus) and Comodo (firewall only). Someone's going to have to prove to me that one doesn't block aspects of the other since I have the Avira plugin running in my browsers.

I just run Malwarebytes once every week before I set Avira to scan when I go to bed.
"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2018, 04:10:47 PM »
Chrome and Chromium are 2 different things.

Chrome is a legitimate browser, and Chromium, and all it's little little add-ons are malware-browser products. Chrominio message center was citing a new upgrade in Chromium.

She got Chromium and it's garbage by installing something else and not noticing that they were installing Chromium at the same time. It's sucking down her computer memory when it runs, and it never stops running.

When I got it, it wasn't easy to get rid of, and I even tried setting my computer back to a former restore point.

I meant Chrominio and Chromium.  Either way... if MC gets it fixed... it is all good! 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Tags: