Author Topic: Off-label use of prescriptions  (Read 2839 times)

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
Off-label use of prescriptions
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:23:51 AM »
One of the threads mentioned veterinarians prescribing medications "off-label" to be used in cats.  Some are even using medications were the label specifically says "not for use in cats."  I did a quick search and found this:

(I like post # 3 and 32.  I didn't read the others thoroughly due to lack of time.)
http://www.petmd.com/blogs/fullyvetted/2009/september/veterinary-drugs-their-label-usesand-why-some-vet-drugs-cost-so-much

And this--again, I just quickly skimmed it.  I will say, I didn't know doctors are allowed to prescribe "off-label."  I suspect vets are allowed to, as well.

http://www.consumerreports.org/health/best-buy-drugs/off-label-drug-prescribing-what-does-it-mean-for-you-5-09/overview/off-label-drug-prescribing.htm
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: Off-label use of prescriptions
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »
I understand the reasons that people are often prescribed meds that are "off label." 
For example, Welbutrin was first prescribed as an anti-depressant.  Doctors discovered that people taking it, were also able to quit smoking.  Soooo, it is often prescribed as an aid to help people quit smoking. 
However, if the label stated (for example only) that it could cause blindness, if prescribed to a diabetic...NO doctor would prescribe it off label to a diabetic.  If a doctor did, he/she would have to "answer" to everyone and their brother!!

Vets and the pet food industry do NOT have anyone to "answer" to.  As the person said in comment #3...

...No offense, I know nothing about your skills as a vet, but it's easy to be a "risk taker" when the potential "bite in the butt" is little more than a mosquito bite.

Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 10:52:47 AM »

Vets and the pet food industry do NOT have anyone to "answer" to.  

Each other?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 10:54:45 AM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline FurMonster Mom

• Charter Member
  • Gabster
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 02:49:22 AM »
I understand that many medicines are used "off label", and for the most part, I can accept the practice with a well qualified and trustworthy physician. 

However, when there is a specific exclusion listed in the manufacturer's own literature, that's a red flag.
It means that they know there are serious repercussions in specific instances of off label use, and they are specifically covering their specifically rich butts for it.
  • Do not use if you are taking xxx drugs
  • Do not use if you are pregnant
  • Do not use in children under 6
  • Do not use in cats
Those are all specific exclusions listed because they know off label use is so prevalent, and they need to be able to say, "We told you not to!"
meow meow meow meow meow meow? -woof!
Translation: "I can has my raw food? -please!"

Tags: