Author Topic: SHOULD be Recall - WHY Not?  (Read 12058 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: SHOULD be Recall - WHY Not?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 07:59:27 PM »
Ho hum, just another normal day --  >:(

Even if a person assumes some of the complaints aren't legit...too many to ignore.  There is DEFINITELY a problem.  IMHO 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 09:17:35 PM »
I gave my friend this link when it was first posted.  Thank goodness she read it, and decided to stop feeding her dog this Purina crap.  I saw her in the grocery store parking lot the other day and she told me she was trying Newman's Own, which our local Hannaford carries.  Now if I could only get her to feed her cat something decent. I think she's feeding him Deli-cat..also a Purina food.

I have another friend, not local, who feeds her cats fancy feast (also made by purina) canned and Purina ONE dry.  I keep trying to get her to ixnay  ALL the Purina crap.  She insists she likes the Purina ONE turkey and rice "because it doesn't contain corn or by products".  I don't know why she thinks that.  I not only gave her the link to the purina ONE site, I copied over  the ingredient list of the two Purina ONE lines that are turkey and rice, they are both full of corn and by products. Maybe it will make a difference, I don't know.

I hate Purina more each day.

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 09:39:28 PM »
I have another friend, not local, who feeds her cats fancy feast (also made by purina) canned and Purina ONE dry.  I keep trying to get her to ixnay  ALL the Purina crap.  She insists she likes the Purina ONE turkey and rice "because it doesn't contain corn or by products". 

MC, wondering if your very first though was the same as mine -- SHE should eat it. 

Incredible how even after 2007, people still need to learn the hard way first.  :(

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 01:24:23 PM »
Most recent Purina complaint:

My dog has been eating Purina One Chicken and Rice since we got him about a year and a half ago, when he was two years old. Upon opening a brand new bag last week, he began vomiting every time he ate and would go two days without touching his food. We were very concerned about his health and before we took him to the vet, we looked online to see if we could find anything about a possible food recall and instead we found this! We immediately bought a more expensive, organic food (Nature's Variety from Petland) and tried it with our dog.
He is eating regularly and back to his old self. We checked the bag of Purina but did not see anything visibly wrong with it. However, I truly believe that the food was the cause. I spoke with Purina and she refunded the money of the dog food without questions (probably because they deal with this often). I will tell everyone I know about this experience and encourage them not to buy Purina products. We are so happy to have our dog healthy again.
Chelsea of Athens, oh

We too have had a sick kitty, diagnosed with kidney disease. He's only six years old! It's basically the same story as everyone else on this website, no apparent health problems ever. We fed him Purina Kit & Kaboodle. He was running around healthy one day, and then the next day he was lethargic and throwing up. I called the 1-800 number for Purina and reported this incident and was told that their food is tested on a regular basis and there are no current recalls for this food.

I told them I wanted to report this as I don't want anyone else to have to go through what we have this week. My children and I had to make the decision to put kitty to sleep last night. His kidneys weren't ever going to work on their own again. My sister told me her cat is now doing the same thing after eating Purina One cat food. What is happening? How many of our animals have to die before something is done about this?

Becky of Castle Rock, CO

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 01:26:12 PM »
I bought two bags of Purina Dog Chow with the Tin Tin Ad on them because they were so inexpensive. My dog has been sick for three days now since he started eating the stuff and I have to suspect the dog food. Besides him being sick, I am sick of cleaning up dog puke form my carpets.

Ray of Gastonia, NC

We have always fed all 8 of our dogs Purina dog chow or a Purina made product. Well, we won't anymore. Our 13-year old Weimaraner became violently ill with vomit and had diarrhea with blood. They had to be taken to the vet, while now, I have another one starting to show the exact same symptoms.

I called the 1-800-7 Purina consumer number and I was informed that they had received no complaints about any of their products. I informed the CSR that I was making a complaint and also requested that they send me a packet so I could send the remaining dog food in to be tested.I will never feed any Purina product to any of my dogs again.

elizabeth of williamstown, KY

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 01:28:21 PM »
I called the 1-800-7 Purina consumer number and I was informed that they had received no complaints about any of their products. I informed the CSR that I was making a complaint and also requested that they send me a packet so I could send the remaining dog food in to be tested.I will never feed any Purina product to any of my dogs again.

elizabeth of williamstown,

I'm thinking I would send the food to be tested to a place NOT affiliated with Purina.

Offline The Kittens

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
  • Respect-The-Star...Violators-Will-Be-Hung
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 04:37:25 PM »
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/ralston.html

CC, is this what you wanted? What else is it, you wanted me to do?   :-* thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 09:38:41 PM »
We Purchased a large bag of Purina Smartblend to feed our dogs and soon found our rat terrier with diarrhea and vomiting. We immediately took her to the vet. After getting back and inspecting the food, there were larvae and white larvae "homes", and a type of small beetle or wheat bug consistently throughout the food. The next day, our younger dog, a Shiba Inu, presented with severe belly pain, whimpering to the touch and walking with his back arched and legs straightened as if it was painful to walk. Immediately, we took him to the vet also. My fiancee is currently there now as I write this. I documented the infestation with pictures and photos. I'm collecting a sample of the food and bugs, and freezing them.

Gregory of Las Vegas, NV on Jan. 25, 2012

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 09:41:47 PM »
Wow! After reading all the recent complaints about Purina One, I am convinced there is a problem with their food. I also purchased a bag of Purina One from Wall Mart on 1-21-2012 and immediately after feeding it to our dog he became sick. This went on a few days, as we taught he had a virus. My wife was going to take him to the vet but went and purchased another brand of food and now is back to his old self. The makers of Purina One needs to check their product. I think you have a major problem

Mitchell of Cartersville, GA on Jan. 27, 2012

We have been feeding Purina One Smart blend Chicken and Rice to our bichon for several months. She won't eat the food from the last bag that we bought. She ate the first couple of bowls then starting gagging. Now she just runs to the bowl but then stares at the food. Then she gives me a dirty look. She has been lethargic and just a little "off". I am on my way to buy new food, not Purina brand.
M.L. of Durant, OK on Jan. 27, 2012

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »

CC, is this what you wanted? What else is it, you wanted me to do?   :-* thumbsup1 Bumpurr1 TexasFlag bumpgif

Hi Bump   I didn't see this post  :-[  Yes, that is great   :-* thumbsup1

The stories keep pouring in.  I wonder how many people can afford to have tests done so that they can really find out?

She was my 20-year-old daughter's baby girl and we are all devastated. We had an autopsy (necropsy) performed and the results are: "Renal failure with hyperkalemia, suspected Vitamin D". Vitamin D can be formulated incorrectly when added to the dog food formula causing hyperkalemia and subsequent renal and total organ failure and hemorrhage. Vitamin D is also used as a rodenticide "Vitamin D Rodenticide" which causes renal and organ failure and hemorrhage. The lab where she was autopsied does not have the toxicology abilities to specifically test for these toxins. The animal pathologist made the determination by the physical results of her organs.
I asked the Vet and the Pathologist if it could be the dog food, they both said we'd see more of this in other dogs. Then I googled the info and end up here this morning.
[/b]

Gotta wonder if they're throwing dead poisoned rodents into "food"?  WTH with everything else that gets chucked in there, why not them too...

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2012, 04:41:54 PM »
I just learned something new:  vitamin D can be used to kill rodents!  I've only heard of products with Vitamin K being used.

Sorry, I digress . . .   :-[
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 08:01:59 AM »
Gotta wonder if they're throwing dead poisoned rodents into "food"?  WTH with everything else that gets chucked in there, why not them too...

That could be an actual possibility.  The 4D's...

Independent renderers are reported to accept for processing such items as road kill, euthanized shelter dogs and cats, and other unappetizing ingredients. These items are not supposed to find their way into the food chain but are theoretically converted for use in fertilizers and industrial applications. However, over the years there have been numerous unproven reports of this material being processed into dog and cat food. The Center for Veterinary Medicine, a branch of the Food and Drug Administration, admits that dead dogs and cats are commonly rendered, and although there is no legal prohibition against it, they do not “condone” the practice.
Quote above from Dr. Jean Hofve

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2012, 03:57:15 PM »
Don't be sorry, Pookie.   It's certainly on topic.  Guess we'll never stop unearthing new (actually old)  "secrets"...  :(

Here's one from today's batch:
Shanel of Shelby, MI on Feb. 4, 2012Satisfaction Rating: 1/5
I have been feeding my cats Purina cat indoor formula for 5 years now. Ever since I put them on the food, they have been throwing up if not every day but every other day. I have spent hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on vet bill and medications on treatment that never even worked. I thought that maybe it was because they were Mainecoon and med hair. But after extensive research and finding thousands of other customers online for years having the same issues, I was convinced.

Then what threw me over the edge was my friend called me up very concerned about her 6-year-old cat that she just switched his food to Purina cat indoor formula. She said that he has been throwing up 2-3 times a day and is scared, because he has never thrown up out of the 6 years she has owned him. I have realized it is not our cats, but it's this product and has been this product for years and no one has done nothing about it!

Sickening...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:59:16 PM by CarnivorousCritter »

Offline Pookie

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Proud member of the Wet Food Club
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »
Reading Shanel's quote . . . that was me a few years ago before finding catinfo.org (any dry food, not that specific one).  I wonder if there's a way to point her in that direction.
2-4-6-8  Please don't over-vaccinate!
"Pass on what you have learned."  -- Yoda, Star Wars:  Return of the Jedi

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 06:02:12 PM »
Pookie, I just tried again  (the one submitted last week wasn't accepted.)

Posted this
All of this is one big secret because of advertising revenue, funding  & kickbacks,  so, like me, all these people had to find it all out the hard way.

For starters, read the paper on the Harvard Law School website  -- links aren't allowed here so just google "Pets Ring Dings" and the "Confused Consumers" Leda Harvard Law School paper is first. It is thorough but just the tip on the iceberg.

Forward it to every pet owner you know and share the facts on why we need to be diligent regarding the "stuff" passing for pet food for carnivores, why so many veterinarians won't blame commercial pet food, and why people need to be reminded of what happened in 2007 over and over and over and stop being so trusting of industries which people  *think*  have regulation,  until it's too late.

Just read the ingredient labels and look into what that stuff actually is, and where it comes from. Google "pet food 4 Ds" too.   More research will tell us that the bigger the brand "name", the worse the ingredients. Wonder why that is?  Google "Dr Elizabeth Hodgkins Testimony" and read that, too.