Author Topic: SHOULD be Recall - WHY Not?  (Read 12070 times)

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
Re: SHOULD be Recall - WHY Not?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2012, 06:46:55 PM »
Reading Shanel's quote . . . that was me a few years ago before finding catinfo.org (any dry food, not that specific one).  I wonder if there's a way to point her in that direction.

Yup, and that is why I am sooooooo anal about dry "food." 
Everything you NEED to know about caring for your feline. www.catinfo.org

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 07:24:35 PM »
Norma of Nashville, TN on Feb. 18, 2012

I have a previous complaint on here regarding the death and necropsy results of my beautiful little 4 month old Australian Shepherd, Cheyenne, after feeding Purina One food at the end of January 2012. This complaint is regarding Purina's blatant disregard for the welfare of our babies. I have been in contact with Purina for several weeks and they have obtained vet and necropsy results. The results of her necropsy were "Vitamin D Toxicity" (Vitamin D3 is a supplement in Purina's food). It was an urgent matter for me to get the food to the vet in order for Purina's rep to pick it up for testing. "Due to an oversight", Purina never picked up the food, but an investigator from the TN Department of Agriculture did!

I have been extremely persistent with this company and continue to promise them I am not going away. They continue to send me to their claims carrier, Sedgwick! This has nothing to do with money or claims. But my persistence is about Purina doing the right thing and admitting they have an issue with their latest food batches.

My last conversation with Terry ** in Consumer Affairs at Purina wasand I will quote her "We have had no other complaints regarding our food." I believe my words were, "You are not only a liar, but a ** liar"! I pressed her until she admitted they had not tested any of the food in the lot numbers provided but "their manufacturing processes have not had any problems".

I am paying for testing at Michigan State University labs on Cheyenne's kidney for a Vitamin D level which will take several weeks. Terry ** in her syrupy sweet "you've been on my heart voice" asked me if I would please share those results. "You will receive those results via an attorney, because I am not going to deal with you or this company and I am not going away."

Consumers unite! Go to their Facebook page and post! Call your FDA investigator. Call your Department of Agriculture! Continue to call Purina! Continue to warn other pet owners! Do not take Purina's money as it prevents you from filing further suit. We must contact senators, congressman, etc. until we change the regulation of pet food.

My words to other consumers are: Each and every time you call, Purina has more information to use in their defense in case of a lawsuit, so choose your words carefully. We are emotional over the loss of our babies and being out of control with words is very easy. P. S. My dogs are happily eating a raw diet and loving it. I'm just so sorry I didn't do this before!

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/ralston.html

Offline Shadow

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say no to Kibble Krack
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2012, 11:56:26 PM »
Wow!! sounds like this lady is going to get something done!!
Vitamin D toxicity!!  bangshead bangshead  so very sad :(
"Education is the key" to make informed decisions about the health of our pets

Offline CarnivorousCritter

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 11:31:51 AM »
Ann of Westerville, oh on Feb. 29, 2012
I posted in December 2011 that my cat suddenly became ill after eating Purina Kit & Kaboodle cat food. She had been eating that food for 8 years, ... I'm lucky my cat lived, as I've read all the horrible stories of those that lost their beloved pets. My heart goes out to you all.

I contacted Purina within 24 hrs of the vet trip, and was told no complaints had been made. I spent the past 2 1/2 months with phone calls with Purina, sent them a sample of the food to test ...No chemical testing was performed on food and I was told they don't do that, but I could at my own expense. Again, Purina stated that they haven't received any other complaints made to them on Kit & Kaboodle cat food, and explained that there is any "proof" that the food caused my cat's near-death experience. In the next breath, Purina representative made me an offer to pay half of the vet bill expense incurred from the experience if I'd close my case...

In closing, I want you all to know that with every phone call I made to Purina I informed them of this website and the other complaints posted here. Each time they said they don't use this site, and that the postings I informed them about could be viewed by Purina Company as slanderous. I did my best …but have learned the sad truth, nothing will become of our complaints. No recall is being made as there isn't any proof or evidence with the food. I don't know what else I can do except move on from this now. It's a sad situation and has caused a lot of pain to innocent pets, ... I wish I could have done more, and worry about others going through this. Please know I will keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Just say No to declawing
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 06:19:05 AM »
It's really heart breaking that this just keeps happening, and Purina takes no steps to make changes.  I just don't understand why, according to these testimonies people KEEP feeding the food, even after it's obvious the food made their pets sick.

I have tried until I am blue in the face to get people I know who feed purina products to stop using them. But until it happens to their pet, it's not important, I guess.

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 02:04:28 PM »
Here are a few recent complaints.  I can't update every day...makes me sick to my stomach.
Bolding and added smilies are mine.
I am just a litttttttle stunned that some of these people still WANT to feed Purina products.  They knew enough to find the website with all the complaints.  They were ticked enough to post their complaint.  Did they not read ANY of the other complaints posted??  We aren't talking a complaint here and there or a minor sickness....MASSIVE complaints and DEAD pets.   bangshead

Shari of Land O Lakes, FL on March 2, 2012

We just lost Liza. She was well one day, sick the next, and dead that night. I thought maybe it was a wolf spider, but I looked that spider up. It doesn't kill cats, dogs, or people. My other cats, all of whom have been on Purina all their lives, were turning their noses up at all the food. Then, someone told me about the problems with Purina. Did I poison my cat by feeding her this food? Tomorrow, I am switching cat food brands until Purina can guarantee that their food is free of harmful effects.  Doh1

Getrude of Austin, TX on March 3, 2012

Purina One recently changed formulas to Smart Blend. After the first few days of Smart Blend, my dogs became extreme ill, vomiting and diarrhea that would not stop. I didn't think it was the food. Purina never gave us any problems in the past. Vet said that liver enzymes suggested poisoning of some sort. As a precaution, I put the dogs back on the old formula.  Doh1 After a few days, they got better. When we could no longer find the original formula, we tried Smart Blend again, thinking it probably wasn't the food. Within days, they were vomiting and had uncontrollable diarrhea again! We finally found a store with three bags of the original version, which we'll use to transition to another brand. After reading these posts, I feel lucky that my dogs are still alive! Something has to be done! The Smart Blend formula is obviously toxic and deadly. Please do not feed Purina One Smart Blend to your dogs!

Daria of Fernandina Beach, FL on March 3, 2012

My 13 year old cat started vomiting and became very ill after eating Purina One Beyond cat food for a couple of days. We have spent a large amount of money at the vet to try to help him recover. I found the food I had purchased a week before was infested with worms and moths which did not come from my home! My cat's test results have not shown any problem that would cause this. I ordered a D3 test because I am wondering if the food also contained toxic levels of Vitamin D in addition to the worms and moths!

Rachel of Portsmouth, OH on March 4, 2012

My mini Schnauzer, Jake Man, passed away on Tuesday, after displaying very similar symptoms as described by many here. We changed Jake's food approximately one month ago. The last bag we purchased, and will ever purchase, was about two weeks ago. There was a small change in his behavior, which was barely noticeable at first. He became less playful, and seemed to always want more water than normal. On Monday, he drank 6 bowls of water (unusual for him). After eating, he vomited. I was concerned, but at that time, he was still fairly normal acting. The next morning, at around 6:30, I found him still. He did not respond to my voice. Finally, after several attempts, I was able to get him to wake up. He tried to get up and walk, but his legs wobbled out from underneath him.

After several attempts to walk, he rolled to me using his head and neck muscles to do so. We immediately took him to the vet, where they diagnosed that he was severely dehydrated. They tested his kidneys, and ran several panels of blood work. The results were that he had three high levels in the kidneys that were toxic. He remained in the hospital on an IV, because he was so dehydrated. At 5:15 PM, he had his first seizure, and then his second at around 6:45 PM. Sadly, he passed away at 7:00 PM. I cannot say for sure that this was caused by the dog food, but there are several very similar stories with similar symptoms, with one common factor, being that each of these animals was eating Purina food.

Purina needs to recall their products, and figure out if the product is affecting our pets. Nothing I do can ever bring back my family friend, and pet, but these pets are family members. Jake belonged to my six year old son, who adored him. The entire family loved him. Jake was only 3 and 1/2 years old, and should never have to suffer this type of death. The label is Purina Alpo Come and Get it (new and improved grill-icious) 16 lb bag (code 50000-58090).

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 02:12:06 PM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 10:39:15 PM »
Christina of butler, NJ on March 14, 2012
Satisfaction Rating: 1/5

I have been using Purina Pro plan cat and dog food for nine years now. Just a few days ago, I opened my usual case of Proplan Turkey and Rice cat food. Within a few hours, my cats are puking and having diarrhea. My one cat is actually in the hospital now for a possible pancreas infection. I really feel that I have had two healthy cats for nine years now and all of a sudden I open a new batch of food and they are both sick? Something is not right here. I hope and pray that my Tobie will be okay. I have trusted this brand of food for all the years I have had my cats. I would hope that Purina will have this batch tested as soon as possible in case a recall is needed. The batch number is 20091160l5dz60656, exp date of January 2014 purchased from PetSmart in Paramus, NJ.

Janet of Saskatoon, SK on March 14, 2012
Satisfaction Rating: 2/5

I have been feeding my cats with Purina Friskies tin cat food for years. About a year ago, I noticed that when I opened the tins, the food did not have that nice fresh smell to it. It didn't seem to matter what flavor it was. It all smelled the same. I can't describe the smell, but it wasn't a food smell. I always bought a lot of beef and whitefish and tuna. They do not make the beef because of problems at the border with beef now, so I stuck with the whitefish and tuna. My cat just stopped eating it. I opened a tin she took a smell and walked away from it, so I was throwing tin after tin in the garbage. I have contacted Purina a few times, and asked them if they had changed the formula for their cat food, and the agent said no, and they weren't getting any complaints about the food.

The company sent me out free coupons to replace some of the tins I threw out. It was nice of them to send me coupons, but that wasn't what I really wanted. I just wanted to find an answer to the problem. Was it the very thin tins that they were using, the storage of the tins, etc? I was concerned about the tins because if they were dropped or banged, the lid would pop. I just had a feeling that maybe the tins were contaminating the food, and was hoping someone would start investigating the problem. I am trying different brands of cat food which I find have much stronger tins. I would like to know if others are having the same problem as I am with the Friskies tin food, and has there been any recalls on cat food lately.

How can the CSRs continue to blatantly lie like that?  (bolding is mine)

I continue to warn and beg people I know who use Purina products to read this site and stop feeding Purina.  Many say they same thing "you only hear about the complaints"  "It's just those few....not that big a deal"   I bet it's a big deal to those who have posted, and have lost their pets and are faced with huge vet bills. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 11:41:03 PM »
Amazing (and not in a good way) how many people have mentioned that Purina CS has said they haven't heard or received any complaints.   catsterlame

It isn't like the complaints are all written by a handful of people posting over and over again.  It is pretty easy to see that the posts are written by mannnnnnnny different individuals.  And most of the complaints are about some pretty SERIOUS health issues...and death. 

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 11:10:31 PM »
C of beavercreek, OH on April 20, 2012
I recently acquired a rescue Great Dane. She is by far the largest of my six dogs, so I went to the store to get her some large breed food and decided on Purina. For several days, I mixed it with the food I received from the shelter and noticed she had diarrhea. I took in a stool sample, and it was clean. The vet said perhaps it was the stress of a new environment. She is thin, and the vet said she needed to gain some weight, so I should gradually increase her intake as well.

I started feeding her more of the Purina, but the diarrhea did not go away for over a week. Over the weekend, I ran out of my regular food for the other dogs and decided to give Purina as well till I got to the store. Lo and behold, after two days, I have six adult dogs--all of them are housebroken--now having uncontrollable diarrhea in the house. They are all drinking water like mad, too. I will never buy Purina products again. Period.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:37:53 AM by Lola »

Offline Middle Child

• Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2012, 06:24:15 AM »
Big sigh.....

Offline Lola

• Global Moderator
  • Motor Mouth
  • Spay or Neuter
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »
Haven't checked the complaints in a while... kinda wish I had skipped it today.

563!  http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/ralston.html

Recently, I went to Purina's website and submitted a simple question - does your cat food have any ingredients that originate in China? They never answered my question and sent me a link to one of their websites that assures customers how much they do to ensure their cat food is safe, etc. etc. - spin, spin, spin.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 05:57:45 PM by Lola »

Offline DeeDee

• P-F's Twitter-er
  • Charter Member
  • Motor Mouth
  • Barkly & Vlad
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2013, 06:38:45 PM »
Haven't checked the complaints in a while... kinda wish I had skipped it today.

Dannyboy was eating Purina Pro Plan when he developed his food allergies. They didn't have 15 million different formulas back then, but they still use some of the SAME carpy ingredients. AND I still wouldn't give it knowing what I found out when the problems first started.

Some of this garbage would probably be something Barkly actually would eat just to be perverse, but he'll never get a chance to try it. Anyone in RV parks that wants to give them a treat, gets one handed to them, so I know what's going in them there too. They're not getting GMO grains and that's that.

Anyone wanna bet against my contention that those grains Purina uses are GMOs?

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland
"Thorns may hurt you, men desert you, sunlight turn to fog; but you're never friendless ever, if you have a dog."

Offline Amber

• Charter Member
  • Chatter Bug
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »
How can the CSRs continue to blatantly lie like that?

Its what they are paid and required to do. When one works in a call center for any large company, he/she is told what to say in certain situations. Going off script or admitting something you are not supposed to can not only lead to termination, but legal action depending on the contract one signs to work for said company.